Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Vostro 3559 AAL15 LA-D071P Rev: 1.0 (A00) Turn on and off in a second

Hello friends,

I hope someone will have a insight based on the symptoms, because it is driving me crazy. I have found the schematics and decide to check if i can fix it.

With charger and battery plugged, the led in front lights up until i press the power button. The fan starts and instantly (1-2 sec) stops while the led turns off.
    If i press again in less than 3 seconds, nothing happens. After a while the led turn on again and i can repeat the above steps.

I am sure there is a short but i can't figure out where.

With my multimeter i have the following measurements in the coils with the charger plugged:
    PL100 = 3,7V
    PL101 = 5,5V
    PL200 = 0V
    PL301 = 1,1V
    PL601 = 0V
    PL603 = 0V
    PL603 = 0V
    PL605 = 0V
    PL700 = 0V

PJP102 = 3,7V (+3VALW)
    PJP103 = 5,5V (+5VALW)
    PJP200 = 0V
    PJP202 = 0V
    PJP203 = 0V
    PJP302 = 1,1V (+1.0V_PRIM)

BIOS battery = 3.1V
    Power button = 3.3V

So i came to the conclusion that PU200 is the culprit. Unfortunately my hot air station has burned heating element so i cant easily unsolder it, so i can proceed with my measurement.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ninjanody; 02-17-2020, 04:59 AM.

Re: Dell Vostro 3559 AAL15 LA-D071P Rev: 1.0 (A00) Turn on and off in a second

Did you take the measurements while the fan was spinning?
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I dont know on what basis you've concluded PU200 is faulty-Would've been better if you mentioned that.

I'll suggest to check basic things first since you have ALW voltage. Measure the following pins on kbc MEC1404-NU and report back.

Pin-43/122/88/56/31/67/71/89/96/41/36/128

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
        Did you take the measurements while the fan was spinning?
        No while it was just plugged in charger because it won't stay in power.

Also i must mention that some of the points that have 0V in power of, at the time i press the button switch, they show some power flowing for a second (for the second that the fan also turns).

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          I dont know on what basis you've concluded PU200 is faulty-Would've been better if you mentioned that.

I'll suggest to check basic things first since you have ALW voltage. Measure the following pins on kbc MEC1404-NU and report back.

My assumption is based on that i don't have the +1,35VP & +0,675VSP anywhere.

For the measuring of MEC1404-NU i will report my findings at the evening when i return home.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

It's normal to have stuff off when the laptop is turned off. For example why would the CPU be powered on when the laptop is off.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

MEC1404-NU measurements.

Pin-31 = 0,09v
              Pin-36 = 0,97v
              Pin-41 = 2,91v
              Pin-43 = 3,38v
              Pin-56 = >1v instantly with power button
              Pin-67 = >2,8v instantly with power button
              Pin-71 = 0,12v
              Pin-88 = 3,28v
              Pin-89 = >2,4v instantly with power button
              Pin-96 = 0,07v
              Pin-122 = 3v
              Pin-128 = 0,05v

Comment

PIN128-ac_av IN-has to be close to 3V
                PIN36-PS_ID-has to stable 3V
                PIN31-RTC_RST_ON- should be around 1.5V
                PIN122-Vbat-is 3V so that proves rtc cell is ok but still you are not getting RTC_RST.

You need to focus on these abnormalities first. Without PS id and RTC rst -system will never work.

Now, dont replace anything at random as that may render the mb beyond repair-These soc mb are very delicate. First flash bios by searching 3559.There is a clean me bios posted by @smdflea which is 100% ok.Remember to take cmos cell out before flashing bios.

Comment

PIN122-Vbat-is 3V so that proves rtc cell is ok but still you are not getting RTC_RST.

You need to focus on these abnormalities first. Without PS id and RTC rst -system will never work.

Now, dont replace anything at random as that may render the mb beyond repair-These soc mb are very delicate. First flash bios by searching 3559.There is a clean me bios posted by @smdflea which is 100% ok.Remember to take cmos cell out before flashing bios.
                  OK. I will go and buy a new usb flash programmer because the one i have is not compatible with this bios chip and try it when i return home. It would be great if a bios flash could solve the problem and the board has no short in any rail.

Comment

Also after a tip from a friend, i measure the resistance of each coil to the Ground. Maybe with this we can figure out if there is a short anywhere.

PL100 = 5 kOhms
                    PL101 = 65 kOhms
                    PL200 = 200 Ohms
                    PL301 = 70 Ohms
                    PL601 = 12 Ohms
                    PL603 = 6 Ohms
                    PL605 = 6 Ohms
                    PL700 = > 1 MOhms *There is probably a partial short there.

Comment

@NINJANODY, You need to understand basics before proceding to repair this mb. A coil resistance in "Mohms" is not a short as long as you mean MEGA by "m" and not MILI.

PL700 is your B+ rail and is supposed to be Mega-ohms only. Your coil readings seems more or less ok except PL100. Re-measure resistance of coil PL100.

Comment

@NINJANODY, You need to understand basics before proceding to repair this mb. A coil resistance in "Mohms" is not a short as long as you mean MEGA by "m" and not MILI.

PL700 is your B+ rail and is supposed to be Mega-ohms only. Your coil readings seems more or less ok except PL100. Re-measure resistance of coil PL100.
                        You are right about the MegaOhms. Sometimes we screw up on the basics.

I re-measure the PL100 Coil and the resistance to ground is 5KOhms. If i remove the power while it runs and measure it gives me 2KOhms and climbs slowly to 5KOhms. If i press the power button it jumps to 9KOhms and return to 5KOhms on release.
                        Last edited by ninjanody; 02-18-2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I haven't check about the abnormalities you mention yet, but i succesfully flash the bios by @smdflea and it no longer turn on and off in a second.

The first time it give me a fading power led, restart and run for ~8 seconds, restart again and running fan at full speed without displaying anything (also no power led on). I left it for almost half an hour but nothing change.
                          Last edited by ninjanody; 02-18-2020, 05:21 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Also i measure the voltage in the coils while it was running and those are the measurements:

PL100 = 3,5V
                            PL101 = 5,3V
                            PL200 = 1,35V
                            PL301 = 1V
                            PL601 = 0,91V
                            PL603 = 0,98V
                            PL605 = 0V
                            PL700 = 0V

Comment

Thats quite good news. Mb restarting a couple of times on first boot after flash is normal. So your only issue now is missing VCC_GT.There can be many reasons:
                              01.Ram stick known good?? Chech DRAM_RST on pin 30 of ram slot.
                              02.You need to check PU602/605. Be careful while measuring on IC Pins. Dont measure them directly on IC Pins. First check their connectivity with surrounding components and then check carefully.

Comment

Hello,

Due to illness i didn't had time to continue the troubleshooting for almost 2 weeks. After flashing the modo didn't do anythink exept powering on and no beep or led indication. Just about when my nerves was ready to snap, i had the idea to connect also the screen after the flashing, before the initial power on. It also did some restarts with no screeen indication and suddenly post with dell logo on the screen. It said something about mantainace mode and it asked for service tag. After entering the service tag it work like it should. The only difference after the first flash was that no screen was attached at first power of and auto restart sequence. Even if i connect later it didn't make any difference.

Thanks all for you feedback and your time. I hope any future problems that arise, you will have the minimum effort to make it work.

Comment

Hello again. The laptop seems to work fine but i can't figure a way to retrieve windows key from the old bios file so i can activate windows again. Does anyone knows how to read this from the old .bin file?

Comment

Try searching this in hex editor
                                    010000000000000001000000000000001D000000

Comment

Try searching this in hex editor
                                      010000000000000001000000000000001D000000
                                      Thanks. It was exacly after those values. I only have to find a way to save it in the new bios so it would not ask it again. For now i will type it..

Comment

Hi there i found that i have dell 5559 i5 inpiron laptop, its CMOS battery socket came off with copper contact from the motherboard, so may be slowly that soldering was broking but did not realize its has the same issue of turning on and off for few second only

Comment

Working...
                                        X