This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

$25.00 ebay score = Supermicro P6DGU dual slot-1 GX chipset motherboard. Been looking for one on and off for a while, I have the dedicated 'RAID port' add-on card for the onboard SCSI that goes to one of these (came in a junk box years ago). I don't know if either works, the motherboard was listed as untested and I've never had a board to test the raidport card....so $25 gamble, I'm not too worried if none of it works, I've gambled a lot more than this on pool & football games.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Got a free ECS 755-A2 v1.0 that won't POST (or beep for that matter), further check showed corrosion.

Also got a ASUS A9550GE/TD/256M/A
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
        A few recent scores.

Dell OptiPlex 790 SFF for $20:

Epson LX350 9-Pin dot-matrix printer with 2 new ribbons for $15:

IBM Thinkpad T40 for $10:

In case you're wondering what on earth I'd do with such an ancient laptop, IBM actually released Windows 9x drivers for these so with a 1.5 Ghz. Pentium M, 512 MB ram, and a mobility-Radeon 7500 it makes a nice Win 9x system and will even run most games from that era well.
        I see good ol' Windows 98 SE!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          I see good ol' Windows 98 SE!
          My T40 has a 2ghz CPU and 2 GB ram running Windows 7 ultimate.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
            My T40 has a 2ghz CPU and 2 GB ram running Windows 7 ultimate.
            that must run like shit on 32bit.
            sounds like you have an M760 cpu.

Comment

Another pair of Cisco 2960's (no idea why I'm seeing so many of these, lately).

And, the "insignificant but most treasured" prize is a set of 3 Cisco "console" cables. These will be SO much easier to keep track of than my homemade cables!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                that must run like shit on 32bit.
                sounds like you have an M760 cpu.
                It runs great.

Comment

Raided a local computer shop, got 4x Mitsumi floppy & card reader combos. I never even knew these existed!! Awesomeness!

Attached Files
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

i think i have one new in the box.
                    it may be a different make though.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      Raided a local computer shop, got 4x Mitsumi floppy & card reader combos. I never even knew these existed!! Awesomeness!
                      wow nice... usb 3 in 1 floppy card reader. i think i might need one as well. will u be flipping them on junkbay? hehe!

topcat, might i trouble u to post the top shot of the mitsumis showing the model number sticker? is it fa404m? thanks man!

EDIT: on second thought, after raiding ebay for pics. the connector on the drive doesnt appear to be usb but some kind of 4 pin connector. any idea what that is?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 07-27-2018, 01:58 AM.

Comment

If they're the right version, with a FW upgrade they can do SDHC. IIRC it's' V1.6 and higher. I can't find it at the moment but I know it's posted on here somewhere.

I have two of these myself. Not used anywhere, but good drives nevertheless.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                          wow nice... usb 3 in 1 floppy card reader. i think i might need one as well. will u be flipping them on junkbay? hehe!

topcat, might i trouble u to post the top shot of the mitsumis showing the model number sticker? is it fa404m? thanks man!

EDIT: on second thought, after raiding ebay for pics. the connector on the drive doesnt appear to be usb but some kind of 4 pin connector. any idea what that is?
                          USB. 4 pin heqder for internal use. No shield.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, they are FA404M drives. I tested them all, they all work. The beige one is going in one of my retro rigs.

I've never updated firmware on a floppy drive or card reader...
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Card readers, optical media drives (WORM, CD, DVD), NICs, CPUs, damn near any USB peripheral, etc. all increasingly rely on firmware updates (to fix the crap the manufacturer didn't realize initially).

A big part of each system build that I undertake is verifying the firmware for all of the devices is up-to-date before starting the OS install. Often, it's hard to "inspect" current version numbers. So you have to locate an update and try to apply it -- only to have it tell you "this device does not need an update".

And, firmware can often vary from OEM to OEM and application to application. My DLTs had all sorts of different firmware upgrades depending on where and how I intended to use them! <frown>

Comment

Yes, they are FA404M drives. I tested them all, they all work. The beige one is going in one of my retro rigs.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=19

Just a windows .exe updater. It's in Japanese but the firmware is the same. Took some digging to find it back in the day, but now it's uploaded here for all eternity.
                                sigpic

Comment

^
                                  Cool, thanks. I'll try it tomorrow when I get in the office.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

A friend just dropped off a box of workstation graphics cards (AGP & PCIe -- several Quadro 6000's, a couple of GTX960's, etc.) that he picked up in an auction lot, this week. I'll probably just trade them away to a friend/colleague for something I may find interesting.

But, I want to avoid trading stuff of "unknown quality" as it can leave a sour taste in folks' mouths.

If I simply plug each card in and verify that I can get "generic" (low resolution) video and something towards the upper end of their display capabilities ON EACH INTERFACE and verify fans are working (for those cards that have fans), is that a "close enough for government work" test? I.e., how likely is it that something subtler has failed that won't be apparent if the card "appears" to work?

[Note there are rarely any claims made as to the quality of goods purchased at auction so I can't even say they were "working pulls".]

Or, should I not bother testing at all and just treat the lot as "as-is, where-is"? Its future recipient may "get lucky" or he may end up with a bunch of recyclable boards...

Comment

i would run a 3d game or a stress-test program to get them warm.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        i would run a 3d game or a stress-test program to get them warm.
                                        Ah, OK. Good point.

But, will a "failure" manifest as some sort of NOTICEABLE visual artifact(s) or an outright crash? If a disk drive fails to produce data for a read() operation, the OS logs that event. I can examine the logs to see if the disk is having issues. I can run a disk benchmark and see if it is having to retry operations (affecting throughput) and note degradation in performance as a crude indicator of the drive's integrity.

Is there anything similar when it comes to a video card? If some benchmark claims the card can do <whatever>, would that same benchmark ALWAYS yield the same performance for a "good" card? Would it show reduced performance for a compromised card? Or, would it just "not run"??
                                        Last edited by Curious.George; 07-28-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                          A friend just dropped off a box of workstation graphics cards (AGP & PCIe -- several Quadro 6000's, a couple of GTX960's, etc.) that he picked up in an auction lot, this week. I'll probably just trade them away to a friend/colleague for something I may find interesting.

But, I want to avoid trading stuff of "unknown quality" as it can leave a sour taste in folks' mouths.

If I simply plug each card in and verify that I can get "generic" (low resolution) video and something towards the upper end of their display capabilities ON EACH INTERFACE and verify fans are working (for those cards that have fans), is that a "close enough for government work" test? I.e., how likely is it that something subtler has failed that won't be apparent if the card "appears" to work?

[Note there are rarely any claims made as to the quality of goods purchased at auction so I can't even say they were "working pulls".]

Or, should I not bother testing at all and just treat the lot as "as-is, where-is"? Its future recipient may "get lucky" or he may end up with a bunch of recyclable boards...
                                          GTX 960's? Those are actually quite recent... If they do work (power up, no artifacts after 30 mins of use), you'd probably be able to sell them pretty easily. If they're a matched pair, then that would be good for an SLI rig. I've been sorta looking for a pair, actually; from what I've seen even the 960's still go for a pretty penny.

The rest, it depends. Older AGP may have some retro value, newer would have upgrade value for old systems; neither would have mass appeal though. For the other PCIe's, it depends on what exactly it is; older ones have lost a lot of value due to the massive improvements in GPU performance in recent years and also are more prone to failure. Newer cards run cooler in addition to having much better performance.
                                          Last edited by ratdude747; 07-28-2018, 02:36 PM.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X