X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    I think Gigabyte is the only one that doesn't do OEM boards - or at least I've never seen any. (Correct me if I am wrong, please!)
    Not sure if they've done any recently but I have a Gigabyte GA5-SMM, super-Socket 7 board from an old Compaq (the Compaq BIOS has since been flashed with the non-OEM Gigabyte BIOS), so at least at one time they did OEM boards.

Comment

I haven't updated this in ages....so I guess I will now.

Home system:

Supermicro X8DAI-G in Supermicro SC743 case with 865W SM PSU
      2x X5660 2.8GHz Xeon CPU's
      96gb ECC DDR3 RAM
      Nvidia GTX 580
      Adaptec SAS controller
      4x 150GB 15K RPM SAS in 300GB RAID10
      Dell U3011 30" 16:10 monitor @ 2560x1600
      Logitech G-15 backlit keyboard & MX1000 laser mouse
      Win7 Pro

Office workstation:

X7DWA-N in Supermicro SC743 case with 865W SM PSU
      2x X5492 3.4GHz CPU's
      64GB FBDDR2 RAM
      Nvidia Quadro NVS 510 2GB GPU (4x displayports)
      LSI 9650 SATA RAID Controller (to be retired soon)
      2x 150gb 10K RPM HDD's in a RAID1 (to be retired soon)
      3x Dell 2709W 27" monitors
      Server 2008 R2 carved into "workstation mode"
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
        Not sure if they've done any recently but I have a Gigabyte GA5-SMM, super-Socket 7 board from an old Compaq (the Compaq BIOS has since been flashed with the non-OEM Gigabyte BIOS), so at least at one time they did OEM boards.
        They do for IBM/Lenovo and Fujitsu Siemens.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

With the amount of use my Powermac 9600 has been getting the last few days, might as well post it.

Apple Powermac 9600:
          400 MHz PowerPC G3 (via Newertech ZIF Carrier)
          448 MB RAM
          Mac Radeon 7000 (original Mac, not flashed)
          ATTO ExpressPCI UL3D SCSI Ultra 160 SCSI Controller
          74 gig Fujitsu 10k U160 drive
          146 gig Seagate 10k U320 drive
          No-name RTL8139 10/100 ethernet card
          24x CD-ROM (gotta find a burner some day)
          Mac OS 9.2.2.

Right now it's being setup to store the disk images of all the old Mac programs and OSs and such. Need to track down a Zip drive and the Zip bezel for it and then it'll be perfect. It's new enough to grab stuff from FTP and (eventually) USB but old enough I can hook up the old SCSI drives and write 800K disks.

Comment

Hi!

i5 2500k
            16GB RAM
            GTX 770

Windows 8.1

Comment

Decided I wanted something a bit quieter than the T3500, swapped parts into the Z200. Big problem I've run into is I have one ram slot that's suddenly causing an immediate ram fail on power on (5 beep\5 red light flash) restricting me to 4 gigs. Going to get 2x4 to throw in and call it good, I rarely use the thing anyways.

So, now my desktop is:
              HP Z200 Tower
              Core i7 870
              2x 2 GB DDR3
              Radeon R7-240 2 gig
              Dell PERC 6/i
              4x Seagate 15k.6 146 GB in RAID 5

Comment

Post your system

Post your computer setups here, describe them, whatnot. I don't bother to take 45 trillion photos so mine will go in later.
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Re: Post your system

Didn't you already make the same thread before ?
                  Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Yea sometimes I wonder...
                    I moved his new thread into this one already existing.
                    Not that his other thread needed a second copy as well.
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                      Didn't you already make the same thread before ?
                      threads got merged... O.o
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                        threads got merged... O.o
                        Yeah saves a huge mess of the same thread lol
                        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I just upgraded some of my stuff in my PC since last time,and got rid of my old LGA775 Pentium 4 board.

Here are some specs:

Biostar P4M900-M7 SE - still looking for something better (945GZ or G31)
                          Gainward Geforce GT210 1GB PCI-E
                          2GB DDR2 RAM
                          JNC/Deer 4JA-52 case w/ plexiglass sidepanel w/blue led fan
                          2x LG DVD-ROM
                          1TB Samsung HD103SI
                          Winfast TV2000XP Expert PCI TV Tuner (yay,Windows Media Center support and x64 support!)
                          Allied AL-A400ATX - as opposed to what Google says,apparently this seems to be a 120mm fan version.

I know the PSU isn't the brightest thing in the PC (it's not that bad though - thick wire (slow-blow) fuse,thick heatsinks,PFC and 20A on the 12v) but I really needed a 120mm PSU. Seriously,I started to become tired of the 80mm ones (loud as hell,and silent fans aren't a good thing in 80mm PSUs...) and apparently the 120mm fans actually conduct the heat outside of the case.

Fun fact: Deers like to stick to me. Just today,I had to do a friend's PC - original config was a A7V600-X w/ 512MB RAM,FX5200 GPU (from Leadtek,nice!),80GB WDC and a CD-ROM (yes,CD-ROM!),and the most gutless PSU ever - a Premier LC-B400ATX. I yanked out the motherboard,PSU and CD-ROM and was left with those. The new system was made out of a Leadman LP-7700 (I gotta thank them for the interesting idea of actually holding the heatsinks with screws!) PSU (which I have to replace again,since my friend plugged the AC cable in so hard it exploded when switched on - I think the AC filtering PCB may be the culprit here - the replacement is a 350W CWT ISO,without that PCB.),a MSI 845E Max (MS-6566E) motherboard,1GB RAM and a Sony CRX-320E DVD-ROM drive.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                              Allied AL-A400ATX - as opposed to what Google says,apparently this seems to be a 120mm fan version.

I know the PSU isn't the brightest thing in the PC (it's not that bad though - thick wire (slow-blow) fuse,thick heatsinks,PFC and 20A on the 12v) but I really needed a 120mm PSU. Seriously,I started to become tired of the 80mm ones (loud as hell,and silent fans aren't a good thing in 80mm PSUs...) and apparently the 120mm fans actually conduct the heat outside of the case.
                              I'm guessing that's one of the "higher-end" Allied/Deer/Solytech units that have good heatsinks, rectifiers, and all that. IMO, they are more or less alright PSUs for a basic PC. Not the best efficiency, but they are designed fairly well and keep on working.

As for the 80 mm fan vs. 120 mm fan... I think you are tired of PSUs with 80 mm fans because you are using a lot of cheap PSUs with those. A well-designed PSU with an 80 mm fan and fan controller will be both quiet and cool.

A lot of those cheap PSUs either don't have a fan controller and run the fan on full 12V power *or* they do have a fan controller but run loud anyways, because they are inefficient and heat up enough to drive the fan speed up. Plus, cheap PSUs also lack a proper wire grille for the fan. That alone adds up quite a bit of noise. I know because I have modded my Deer DR-250ATX, so that its fan runs on approximately 8-9V (if I remember correctly). That's still enough to move plenty of air without the fan actually being too loud. But the problem is the fan grille on the PSU: it blocks some of the airflow and creates a lot of "woosh" noise.

The new system was made out of a Leadman LP-7700 (I gotta thank them for the interesting idea of actually holding the heatsinks with screws!) PSU (which I have to replace again,since my friend plugged the AC cable in so hard it exploded when switched on - I think the AC filtering PCB may be the culprit here
                              And you know what I think?
                              I think the AC filtering PCB was NOT the culprit here.
                              I think that this Leadman PSU, like any other Leadman unit, is just a turd. And I think that's why it blew up.

Sorry for the harsh words here, I really don't mean to insult you or your PCs. It's just that Leadman/Powmax is one of those PSU brands that I would suggest to avoid at all costs. Same goes for the Sun Pro KY-480ATX (i.e. Raidmax RX-380K). These, IMO, are some of the crappiest PSUs made. They many not look like it, but there is just something seriously wrong with their designs, because they blow up a lot more often than other cheap PSUs I've seen. Even a low-end L&C and CWT ISO are better than that, because at least you can rework them. Leadman/Powmax and low-end Sun Pro: you just can't make them better, even if you do put good parts in them.

Anyways. Apart for my little PSU rants up there, I like your systems. Let's see if we can keep pushing our Pentium 4 PCs until 2020 - that would be sweet!
                              Last edited by momaka; 11-04-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing that's one of the "higher-end" Allied/Deer/Solytech units that have good heatsinks, rectifiers, and all that. IMO, they are more or less alright PSUs for a basic PC. Not the best efficiency, but they are designed fairly well and keep on working.

As for the 80 mm fan vs. 120 mm fan... I think you are tired of PSUs with 80 mm fans because you are using a lot of cheap PSUs with those. A well-designed PSU with an 80 mm fan and fan controller will be both quiet and cool.

A lot of those cheap PSUs either don't have a fan controller and run the fan on full 12V power *or* they do have a fan controller but run loud anyways, because they are inefficient and heat up enough to drive the fan speed up. Plus, cheap PSUs also lack a proper wire grille for the fan. That alone adds up quite a bit of noise. I know because I have modded my Deer DR-250ATX, so that its fan runs on approximately 8-9V (if I remember correctly). That's still enough to move plenty of air without the fan actually being too loud. But the problem is the fan grille on the PSU: it blocks some of the airflow and creates a lot of "woosh" noise.
                                Yeah,maybe the grille does contribute. I remember I cut the old grille on my JNC PSU (the one with thick heatsinks and PFC,it was a LC-B300ATX) and put one of those metal grilles that you find on some HSFs,and it wasn't that loud than how my Premier DR-B300ATX sounds,and that was with the same model of Jamicon fan that my DR-B300ATX uses.

And you know what I think?
                                I think the AC filtering PCB was NOT the culprit here.
                                I think that this Leadman PSU, like any other Leadman unit, is just a turd. And I think that's why it blew up.
                                Actually you're wrong. The reason was that the AC filtering PCB was dangerously close to the secondary heatsink. And I sticked the power cable in too hard,that when I turned it on it made that explosion. The AC PCB actually touched the heatsink. I think it shorted the neutral line and one pin of the coil.

I simply replaced the receptacle with a simple one (without PCB,just the bare receptacle that you can find even on Deer PSUs of the lowest tier.),replaced the fuse (at one point I even considered using a ceramic fuse but I thought NAAAAH,it's a Leadman after all. I know this one isn't that bad,but still ),replaced the choke on the AC side (or transformer,it's labeled EE-25 TUV though.)

Anyways. Apart for my little PSU rants up there, I like your systems. Let's see if we can keep pushing our Pentium 4 PCs until 2020 - that would be sweet!
                                Even though I retired my Pentium 4 2.8 and replaced it with a A64 3000+ Socket 754,I'll definitely make a separate build and keep it until 2020.

And about that 400W Allied - along with my Modecom Feel III FEEL-400ATX,those two are the only silent PSUs I've had. The former (Modecom) is a Xinruilian fan (somehow it still runs fine ) and I have a feeling the latter (120mm 400W Allied) is a temperature-controlled Globe fan. In any case, both are two of the best Deer PSUs I've had (compared to the crappy ANS and JNC PSUs,and a few of the Premier PSUs). Dunno where the Allied comes from,but I know for sure the Modecom is a case pull,since it has a sticker saying " Modecom Harry Black on the rear,somewhere between the fan and the ON/OFF switch.

I might sadly have to scrap the beefy JNC unit I had (this if I don't get it to work again) - bright side is I get beefy heatsinks for another project (400W Premier LC-B400ATX ),TT2194 primary switching transistors (which are Sanyo's 13009 equivalent) for my Allied (which for some uber-stupid reason came with 13007s,everything else is beefy ),30A 40V rectifiers (which I still can't decide which Premier to install them in - the DR-B300ATX? Or the LC-B400ATX?),and some 470uF 200v YC primaries (which I have doubts are actually 470uF - I'd actually go with Fuhjyyu LP on this but whatever.) and a fancy black ATX cable.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Actually you're wrong. The reason was that the AC filtering PCB was dangerously close to the secondary heatsink. And I sticked the power cable in too hard,that when I turned it on it made that explosion. The AC PCB actually touched the heatsink. I think it shorted the neutral line and one pin of the coil.
                                  Okay, so I wasn't completely right about the failure ... but I'm still not completely wrong either: Leadman are still crappy power supplies . The fact that the AC filter PCB on the receptacle was touching the primary heatsink just shows how badly Leadman designed this unit.

By the way, this is something I always notice on very cheap PSUs: they never put insulating plastic sheets where there should be one. If that AC filter PCB on the receptacle had one on the back, this would have never happened. Again, more mindless penny-pinching by these ultra-cheap PSUs that can drive you crazy. At least it's easy to make insulating sheets yourself. I typically use disposable PET food containers. PVC/Vinyl would be better, though.

Anyways... back on topic... I don't think I have done a complete post of my systems. so I will be doing that sometime soon hopefully (and *with pictures*. )

Comment

The fact that the AC filter PCB on the receptacle was touching the primary heatsink just shows how badly Leadman designed this unit.
                                    Wrong,it was the secondary heatsink (this isn't the same orientation as most Deers) that touched the filter.

By the way, this is something I always notice on very cheap PSUs: they never put insulating plastic sheets where there should be one. If that AC filter PCB on the receptacle had one on the back, this would have never happened. Again, more mindless penny-pinching by these ultra-cheap PSUs that can drive you crazy. At least it's easy to make insulating sheets yourself. I typically use disposable PET food containers. PVC/Vinyl would be better, though.
                                    It came from a Deer,so what did you expect
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

fried deer

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                        fried deer
                                        Instead,it's a Leadman that got fried. I fixed it and repurposed it for a 5v heavy system,since it has a 30A rectifier for it.

Speaking of which,I did a complete overhaul of the KT600 system I originally built myself. It was in a KME-built case (which looks quite nice - those came with Epox EP-8RGM3I) and had some pretty low specs. Here are the original specs:

400W Delux ATX-400W P4 (which has the guts of a Leadman LP-7700,recapped and fixed now)
                                        ASUS A7V600-X
                                        256MB RAM
                                        XP Home SP3
                                        Samsung SP0411N 40GB IDE HDD
                                        2x Hitachi-LG GCR-8481B CD-ROM drives
                                        nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB
                                        AMD Athlon XP 2500+

And those are the new specs. Yes, I actually trust the PSU I put in it now.

400W Modecom FEEL III/FEEL-400ATX
                                        (Deer built - surprise,surprise,it has a still working silent Xinruilian LP fan. Otherwise it's recapped,I put some 13009 switching transistors (even though the TT2193 ones it had were already the same as 13009,st00pid me...) and wired up the fan on 12v.)

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000
                                        (also recapped - previously had KZG on the low VRM side,replaced with Ruby MBZ.)

1GB RAM
                                        Windows 7 Pro SP1 /XP Home SP3 dualboot
                                        Samsung SP0411N 40GB IDE HDD & Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB IDE HDD
                                        (80GB is Windows 7 and 40GB will be XP)
                                        Hitachi-LG GCR-8481B CD-ROM & Pioneer DVD-117 DVD-ROM
                                        ATi Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP8x
                                        Winfast TV2000XP Deluxe
                                        Realtek RTL8139 NIC
                                        Pentium 4 2.8GHz (Northwood core)
                                        and of course,the same dark gray/black KME CX-5762 case.
                                        Last edited by Dan81; 11-08-2016, 02:27 PM.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Me again,with another build (this one I could put to retro gaming cause of the CPU):

Premier DR-B300ATX (recapped & with new secondary transistors)
                                          1GB RAM (there is a fix for that for 98SE)
                                          40GB Maxtor 6E040L0 (I was originally going to use a Samsung SP2504C 250GB SATA but that would be ridiculous)
                                          ASUS DVD-Writer
                                          Winfast A340T/Geforce FX5200 128MB AGP8x
                                          RTL8101 onboard NIC
                                          Celeron 2GHz Northwood-128
                                          prolly some Deer/JNC case,don't know.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X