Backup advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup advice needed

So I have data that I've archived to tape. I have 2 sets of tapes, both containing identical data. However, there's a couple of different ways for how I could split the sets of tapes up. My plan is to delete the now-archived data off of my hard drive once both sets of tapes are into storage.

Should I have both sets of tapes onsite or have one set onsite and have the other set offsite?
    Both sets of tapes onsite
    0%
    One set of tapes onsite, the other set of tapes offsite
    0%
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Backup advice needed

Originally posted by TechGeek
    So I have data that I've archived to tape. I have 2 sets of tapes, both containing identical data. However, there's a couple of different ways for how I could split the sets of tapes up. My plan is to delete the now-archived data off of my hard drive once both sets of tapes are into storage.
    If you will be referring to the data, best leave it where it is -- rather than having to "recover/restore" from tape (inconvenient).

If you don't NEED the space that deleting it would free up, then leave it where it is (even if you don't need to reference it).

Tape has a nasty habit of "failing to restore"... and, this only turns up when you actually NEED to retrieve something.

[I've used virtually every "pro grade" tape medium from 9T through LTO's. Friends would look at my media closet and swear that I had personally altered the location of magnetic north!!]

Should I have both sets of tapes onsite or have one set onsite and have the other set offsite?
    I rarely keep anything offsite -- despite having a sh*tload of IP archived, here. What I *do* is ensure it is not easy for me to TRY more than one backup volume (i.e., have a problem with one and then TRY the other) until I am positive the problem isn't in the hardware/OS/software.

E.g., presently, my dual backup copies (all on spinning rust) are located just a few feet from each other. Yeah, if the house catches fire I'm screwed. But, I'll have far bigger problems, at that point, than recovering files!

[I keep the REALLY important stuff on a "precious" drive and the really REALLY important *paperwork* (financial, etc.) on a thumb dive. The thinking being that I can hopefully remember to grab those two things on my way out the door -- whether for a fire or natural disaster]

Comment

I guess if are thinking of fire or theft ,ect . you might want to store your copy some where else. I have my stuff on 1 ,2 , and 5 T bite usb drives , but most of my stuff is torrent files and stuff I got from YouTube .

Comment

back up the tape to 2 hard drives . tapes are not that reliable .

Comment

One offsite if you've gone to the trouble.

That said, I haven't bothered. I have a file server (with the main storage using RAID 10) that weekly backs itself up to a 4TB internal backup drive which keeps a couple weeks of images backlogged.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I often wonder how critical data is,. If you have to ask it can't be that important. Just make a couple of copies to hard drives and dump the tape. tape backups suck.

Comment

One set offside guarantees you that even if the building is burned down by fire, you will be able to restore the info.
              Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
              1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Should've said this a while ago, but I'm gonna keep a copy offsite.

Mods/admins, this thread can be locked.
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                  One set offside guarantees you that even if the building is burned down by fire, you will be able to restore the info.
                  That assumes you have a spare drive and system (along with the backup/restore software) available "offsite", as well.

It's much easier to use a more ubiquitous medium (disk) and a *portable* file system format -- so you can recover the contents using a friend's computer (while the firemen are still putting out the blaze at your home)

Comment

Working...
                  X