Sony Bravia KDL-65W850C Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-65W850C Panel

I picked up a 65" Sony Bravia today for only $50 with clearly bad LEDs (six flashes of the indicator). Of course, I have to remove the panel to get to them. The biggest panel that I have removed to date is a 55". The bigger they get, the more I worry about a panel "incident" that renders the TV useless, except for parts. I really want to make this TV my "new" TV in my living room.

I have the Sony service manual for this TV, but getting to the LEDs is beyond the scope of even the official Sony manual.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a successful panel removal? I think that all I'll do tonight is "worry" about damaging the panel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-65W850C Panel

before round 2 years i picked Sony 65W955B, end to be parts. not because the panel incidents, but the first thick plastic reflection plate break in 2 pieces. they made it from 2 pieces glued together by transparent thin type with 2 glued layers.. so be be careful when you take it out..

LED BL are edge downside mounted.. i still have them on the aluminum plate stored for further need , panel already sold out. i took the panel after free it from the Tcon. and its taps let them free out from the table.. put think blanket on table and replace whole set panel downside on it, then hold up only the chassis case. this was safe way to me as alone

Comment

if its the same as the 65w855c
      its fald

take off the back and the sheilding at the bottom so the panel tabs can be freed up
      then you have some screws across the top and side belzels
      once these are off slide off the sides then top

you will then see a white silione type tape at four points top and bottom

pull this out it will just come out and it will then free the panel up

remove the panel

then the sheets
      the last diffuser panel is glue all the way around carefully remove it
      then the 16 strips will be exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by zomi View Post
        if its the same as the 65w855c...
        It is the same as the 855C.

...its fald...
        What does this mean?

One more thing... What LED does it use? I thought that it was a 4020 size 6V, 1 Watt device, but wasn't sure. I guess that I'll know soon enough.
        Last edited by SLK001; 04-19-2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Its a backlit panel
          not side lit

i cant remember the led type
          to be honest
          Attached Files

Comment

i use 4 suctions cups for the big panels
            a person each side
            makes it easier

Comment

i use 4 suctions cups for the big panels
              a person each side
              makes it easier
              Do you lift the panel out with the TV laying on its back?

Do you use something like this?
              Attached Files

Comment

yes tv on its back
                i used 4 singular ones.
                jsut make sure you ahve good suction and its all easy
                just have to take it slow and easy
                if you rush its v easy to mess up the screen

Comment

I think the suction cups shown are more for glass or body work. That much suction may cause damage to the panel. And always release the pressure as soon as you have moved the panel. I use 4" Tolsen suction cups and I only use 2. I've pulled over 100 panels with them and have never damaged one. Larger Sony panels are sometimes glued down using a strip of white two way tape. I use Ufix bean bags heated in the microwave for 60 seconds and lay them on the panel where the tape is and it will loosen the tape so you can remove the panel. Once it warms up I use plastic guitar pics to ease under the panel to separate it from the tape if it's stubborn. Here are some pictures of a Sony KDL-75W850C backlight repair I just recently did and how to use the bean bags and guitar pics. The key is to have the table where you will place the panel right next to the tv so you can have little travel. I use painters tape to hold the driver boards out of the way very carefully so you don't damage the ic's or tab bonds. Always put a new led strip kit in. I was lucky to get one for this tv. Nice picture but only 1080p. My customer was happy and I was happy to get that big damn thing out of my shop.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've only ever used two of those four inch cups from Harbor Freight and never had a problem. Spacing is important. If they're too close together the edges will flop around and if they're too far apart you can split it down the middle. Only ever spaced them myself by eyeball and "feel".

Comment

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-65W850C Panel - SUCCESS!!

I finally received the LEDs for this Bravia from China. Replaced the single bad part (my cost < $0.06) and reassembled the unit. Fired it up and SUCCESS!

Replacement 3033 LED.

I was worried (very worried) about damaging the panel, because it was the largest I have attempted to date. Using my double cup suction cups, I was able to remove and safely store the panel against a wall.

Panel hooked up and ready for lifting.

Panel lifted off and safely against the wall.

So now, once it is working, it appears to me to have a T-CON issue. These next two images show solarization in the pictures. This would be from a bad GAMMA chip on the T-CON, correct? If not, what would cause this?

Attached Files

Comment

It does look like a bad T-Con but it could also be a damaged panel. I would have left it on the table flat instead of putting it up against the wall. One slight bow in that panel can damage it. Protect the panel the best you can because their is nothing worse than having to go through all that trouble only to damage the panel in the process. This is the key to a 100% success rate in my shop. We also always remove the T-Con and put it in a ESD bag during a strip kit change. Let us know if it's just a bad T-Con.

Comment

It is Gamma problem, did you try cleaning and re-seating the cables between the LCD panel and the T-CON? Boards mounting screws are tight?
                          Is this your T-CON board? https://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-55-65...dl-65w850c.htm
                          There are Gamma Voltage test points on the board. I.E. VG_Axx, VG_Bxx.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                            It is Gamma problem, did you try cleaning and re-seating the cables between the LCD panel and the T-CON? Boards mounting screws are tight?
                            Is this your T-CON board? https://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-55-65...dl-65w850c.htm
                            There are Gamma Voltage test points on the board. I.E. VG_Axx, VG_Bxx.
                            I have to crack the unit back open to get at everything again. One thing that did happen, was I had 4 identical screws left over. I looked and looked for where they went but I couldn't find their places. It was the type of screw that held the T-CON outer shield in place. Maybe when I crack her back open, the location will become obvious. I've got to get a video camera and start documenting the teardowns.

What should the gamma voltages be at their test points?

Comment

The voltages are mostly unimportant as long as they rise or fall in a linear fashion if you plotted them on a graph.

Comment

Well I am One Happy Camper!

I cracked the Sony back open to fix the gamma issue and I was successful. It turns out that the 4 screws that I had left over were very important for grounding. They are shown here (at least one of them):

They are pretty much buried, so if you miss putting them in, you will almost have to completely disassemble everything again just to put them where they go. But once in, they complete the ground for the panel PCB shielding.

Here are a few pics of the fixed set:

See? No more gamma problems!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X