Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony KDL-46X3500 switches off and shows 5 red led diagnosis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-46X3500 switches off and shows 5 red led diagnosis.

Hi, I have a sony kdl-46x3500 that now presents with a 5 red led flash code.

Originally. I was told by the person who gave it to me that the tv had a power issue and wouldnt turn on, thats why he was throwing it out.

I took it off him and got it home and it worked straight away with out issue for a day.

Then I laid it down and took the stand and rear cover off and promptly got the fault.

The tv will turn on (green led) but no picture, then after about 30-1min will automatically switch off to show fault code.

I think the code means TCON problem, but I have unplugged the TCON and the connectors but the fault code stays the same.

After I removed the back and had been working on it for a few hours (removed the tuner and the AVC board to access the FB2 board) I reinstalled the boards and the TV actually turned on again to show normal picture. But when I turned it off and on again a few minutes later it went back to 5 led fault.

This has happened randomly twice, where it has come on, but then goes back to fault at restart?

I have tested some of the voltages but I need a more logical approach, as I dont know what order to test which voltage to where, to eliminate possible problems.

The caps on the power board look ok, and I cannot see any obvious problem....

I have the service manual and the schematics.

Im ok but no expert, I need someone with a bit of real experience to help if possible.

I'm going to bed now.

Tomorrow I will try to upload photos of boards and all the notes on voltages from connectors.

I have also done a video which I will upload to youtube and paste a link here if possible.

Thats the plan.

All the best.

Re: Sony KDL-46X3500 switches off and shows 5 red led diagnosis.

When it starts up with the fault, run a hairdryer over the powerboard a small section at a time, be sure to hit all the capacitors and the optos etc. see if it starts working or changes any.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      When it starts up with the fault, run a hairdryer over the powerboard a small section at a time, be sure to hit all the capacitors and the optos etc. see if it starts working or changes any.
      Hi nomoresonys, thanks for the reply...

I have tried to adopt some logical approach although I am reasonably ignorant ..this is what I have managed so far...

I have unplugged the power to the TCON and the LVDS cable - restart gets same fault, so isolating the TCON does not change fault status. (So I am thinking, it may not be the TCON board...)

If I unplug the LVDS cable from the FB2 Main AV board, and restart, the fault still remains. (so its probably not the LVDS cable which seem quite delicate.)

If I unplug CN6150 from pwr board which directly feeds pwr to FB2 main AV board - and restart - the original fault disappears, and the green led start light stays on, but seems to cycle every 37 seconds - i.e. briefly go off, then on for another 37 secs) - but no 5 led self fault diagnosis shows?

I am wondering if this means the fault lies in the Main AV board FB2?

I have done other practical things also...

As you advised, I have heated each individual board gently with a heatgun, allowing components to get pretty warm, and after each successive board, tried restart - (Note I didn't heat actual left and right inverter boards.) - The result was, as I heated the main power board around the heat sinks (already done the caps) that the large three legged transistors are mounted to, the TV shut down and I got a different Led error - 2 flashes - diagnosis POWER OVP ? Not sure what that means. Over voltage protection??? And the TV would not turn on at all.

I noticed the transistor heat-sinks had actually absorbed a lot of the heat and were quite hot...

Anyhow, after a minute or two, the TV was able to turn back on and displayed original 5 led fault...

So I assumed I had over heated an area and caused some type of thermal shutdown?

Wonder what your thoughts are?

However....

As I continued gathering and testing voltages at different points on different boards, continually recycling the power to get the readings, the TV display came on.... it stayed on for about a min and then turned off.

I noticed that the FB2 Main AV board was where the main IC SMD heatsinks were heating up the most upon this recycling of power....the TCON IC heatsink warmed up also but not as much. So the FB2 board seemed to be the primary place heat began to pool.

I started to recycle the power, told myself I would do it 50 times as a test, that should replicate the effect of what I was doing as I was voltage testing previously when the TV came on.

On the 14th recycle, the TV came on again...

Stayed on for about 2 mins and then switched off.

When I tried to repeat the process immediately afterwards it failed.

Bear in mind, that previously the TV/display had come on randomly in this way, once I replaced and reconnected the FB2 Main AV and TCON boards which I had removed...?

It was very random, but maybe the FB2 board has some micro solder joint damage, which was caused/exacerbated in moving the TV...me removing the board and replacing it may have briefly bridged the hypothetical crack allowing the board to function and TV to start...

Equally, as the FB2 Main AV board seems to react quickest to the heat, although its not conclusive, it does seem possible that recycling the power and raising the temp of components may create the same bridging effect to a micro fracture...

I am trying to come up with theories, I could be completely wrong, and probably am.

Maybe it is the caps on the main power or other boards, but I cant see any obvious deterioration and the voltages seem ok to a relative novice?

I will try the power recycle test again from dead cold - see if the TV/display will come on again.

I have checked all the voltages on powerboard GF1 / primary inverter power board DF2 / Slave inverter power board DF3 / and FB2 which is I think classed as the Main AV board (LVDS from here to connects to TCON).

I will list the connectors by number and ref volt typed on circuit board and ACTUAL voltage, for reference.

The questionable things I noticed in my fairly ignorant diagnosis were...

On GF1 the Power Board...

The DIMMER voltage fluctuates steadily between 3.2v and 0v ?

On DF2 the Primary Inverter Power Board....

INVRT DV 1L and 2L have 0 volts...where as INVRT DV 1H and 2H have 5v. ?? (This reading also appears on the slave board CN6900 as they are directly connected.)

What I dont know, is where the circuit board has refs like BACKLIGHT, V-FB1, OCP2, FB etc which are all currently 0 volts - is whether this is correct. I am thinking that if the TV/display was actually on some of these other refs would get a reading.

But maybe I should have a reading at this stage anyway...that's my current level of ignorance..

I've checked around the boards and components generally to see if any readings seemed obviously suspect with my limited knowledge, and comparing with similar components elsewhere for similar readings and I have found nothing really. One 16v 10uf cap reads 9v where the two next exact same caps next to it read 4.3v. These caps are connected close to SCART input, so probably nothing.

One of the fairly large big red components on the AC side, There are about eight in total across the Main / Primary / Slave Power boards (regulating or smoothing?) next to the 4 large diodes which I believe cut part of the wave out of AC feed in. On of them on the Main Power board looks marginally damaged....but if you compare the AC readings all the others are 123v on one side and 121v approx on the other - and the damaged looking one reads 123v and 120v, which is less than 1% different so I don't think this is relevant.

Having digested my progress, or lack of, I would appreciate any other practical ideas, or any specific electrical expertise which could spot a missing voltage reading etc...or something out of line.

I wonder if there is any way to bypass certain areas of the whole system in order to test certain others individually, so as to remove them as potential problems.

I will try to upload some photos and I will put a video on YOUTUBE and paste a link here if I can. I cant connect my phone to my PC at the moment, so the photos are not as easy as they should be, but I will find a way shortly.

Bear in mind the TV worked under heavy use for a whole day when I rescued it, so theoretically it cant be that terminal hopefully?

If the main power board volatges are ok does that mean the caps are ok?

Peruse the voltages below if it helps, and I hope to speak to you soon.

All the best.

EDIT:I would upload the service manual in case it helps, but it's 21.2mb and your limit is 19mb...

GF1 - POWER BOARD CONNECTORS (TOTAL 5 - FROM NORTH TO SOUTH)

REF READING - ACTUAL READING

CN6151

REF - ACT

12 - 12.3
      12 - 12.3
      GD - 0
      GD - 0
      GD - 0
      6 - 6.2

CN6150

12 - 12.4
      12 - 12.4
      12 - 12.4
      12 - 12.4
      GD - 0
      GD - 0
      GD - 0
      NC - 0
      6 - 6.14
      6 - 6.15
      GD - 0
      GD - 0
      GD - 0

CN6152

12 - 12.38
      12 - 12.38
      GD - 0
      GD - 0
      AUDIO GD - 0
      AUDIO GD - 0
      AUDIO VCC - 13.6
      AUDIO VCC - 13.6

CN6153

NC - 0
      NC - 0
      BALANCE ERR - 0
      12 - 12.4
      GD - 0
      INVERT ERR - 0
      BACKLIGHT - 0
      DIMMER - 3.2V TO 0 VOLTS. (This reading rapidly fluctuates reliably between 3.2V and 0 volts?)
      GD - 0

CN6154

BALANCE ERR - 0
      INVERT ERR - 0
      BACKLIGHT - 0
      DIMMER - 3.2V TO 0 VOLTS (This reading rapidly fluctuates reliably between 3.2V and 0 volts?)
      GD - 0
      AC RLY - 4.82
      PFC DETECT - 2.99
      PS ERROR - 0
      STNDBY - 4.9
      GD - 0
      GD - 0
      NC - 0

DF2 - PRIMARY INVERTER (LEFT) POWER BOARD (3 CONNECTORS TOTAL FROM NORTH TO SOUTH)

CN6706 - (DIRECTLY IN FROM POWER BOARD CONNECTOR CN6153)

- 0 ALL CN6706 MEASUREMENTS JUST REFLECT THAT THE CABLE FROM
      - 12.4 PWR BOARD CN6153 IS GOOD. THERE ARE NO REFERENCE MARKINGS
      - 0 BESIDE CN6706.
      - 3.2V TO 0V FLUCTUATING - (THIS IS DIMMER FEED FROM CN6153)

CN6701 - DIRECT OUT TO MIDDLE CONNECTOR OF LEFT INVERTER CN135

12 - 12.3
      FB - 0
      GD -0
      NC - 12.3 *
      LD - 0 -- NO WIRE? * THESE TWO MAY BE MISLABLLED?
      LD - 12.3
      LD - 12.3

CN6704 - FEEDS DIRECTLY TO SLAVE INVERTER (RIGHT) CN6900

CONN DET - 0
      12 - 12.4
      NC - 0
      V FB1 - 0
      GD - 0
      INVRT DV 1H - 5V
      GD - 0
      INVRT DV 1L - 0 ?? - NOTICE ONLY INVERTER DV 1H AND 2H HAVE 5V READING? INVERTER DV 1L AND 2L = 0?
      GD- 0
      INVRT DV 2H - 5V
      GD - 0
      INVRT DV 2L - 0 ??
      GD - 0
      OCP 2 - 0

DF3 SLAVE INVERTER POWER BOARD (RIGHT) CN6900 - FED DIRECTLY FROM CN6704 (PRIMY INV PWR BD)

OCP2 - 0
      GD - 0
      INVRT DV 2L - 0 ??
      GD - 0
      INVRT DV 2H - 5
      GD - 0
      INVRT DV 1L - 0 ??
      GD - 0
      INVRT DV 1H - 5
      GD - 0
      V FB1 - 0
      NV - 0
      12 - 12.38
      CONN DET - 0

ACTUAL INVERTER BOARD (LEFT)

CN 136

TP005 - LOOP2 - 0
      - LOOP2 - 0
      TP006 - LOOP1 - 0
      - LOOP1 - 0
      TP007 - PROTECT - 0
      - PROTECT - 0
      TP008 - VCC - 12.3
      - VCC - 12.3
      TP009 - GD - 0
      - GD - 0

CN135 ACTUAL INVERTER (LEFT) MIDDLE CONNECTOR. (CONTROL??). FED FROM DF2 PRIM INV PWR CN6701

LD - 12.3
      LD - 12.3
      LD - 12.3
      GD - 0
      FB - 0
      VCC - 12.32

ACTUAL INVERTER BOARD (RIGHT)

CN 235

TP055 - LOOP2 - 0
      - LOOP2 - 0
      TP056 - LOOP1 - 0
      - LOOP1 - 0
      TP057 - PROTECT - 0
      - PROTECT - 0
      TP058 - VCC - 12.3
      - VCC - 12.3
      TP059 - GD - 0
      - GD - 0
      Last edited by Jas123; 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Photos would be handy.

It says Check BE micro pin 128 on the FB2 board for trouble shooting 5 LED flash.

If it is a soldering issue try some heat on it, particularly the large heatsinks as soldering issues tend to be those of the balls under processors. Although if the TV has the sensing capabilities as suggested in the service manual, I would be concentrating my efforts towards where it is suggesting.

The TV has detected an error and is not powering up to save itself from possible further damage. Most of the voltages you were looking for won't exist until it passes the self test.

(The rar file limit is 28MB.)
        Attached Files

Comment

You observe: "If I unplug CN6150 from pwr board which directly feeds pwr to FB2 main AV board - and restart - the original fault disappears, and the green led start light stays on, but seems to cycle every 37 seconds - i.e. briefly go off, then on for another 37 secs) - but no 5 led self fault diagnosis shows?" This is with everything connected EXCEPT the cable from powerboard to mainboard correct? are the backlights on when you do this test?
          Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-12-2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Interesting that you got a green light on this, try a firmware update thru usb, might not be the problem but it won't hurt any.
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-12-2019, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Of course it won't show the fault code if you disconnect power, the TV isn't even getting to the point of a self test.

Comment

Looked at the U.K. sony sight, they have lots of kdl models listed BUT of course they don't have any firmware available for most of them. They should keep the firmware available but being it's a popular brand it might be available somewhere else or maybe a member here has it saved.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Looked at the U.K. sony sight, they have lots of kdl models listed BUT of course they don't have any firmware available for most of them. They should keep the firmware available but being it's a popular brand it might be available somewhere else or maybe a member here has it saved.
                  It's not firmware and it's site not sight.

Comment

Can we at least see the pictures of the whole backside of the TV showing all the board so we can see what we are dealing with?
                    5-Blink error according to the service manual is the T-CON error.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

If 5 blinks is tcon error, check for 12V on the tcon board fuse. If not present, then check for fuse on main board supplying 12V to tcon.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66995

Comment

op... the problem with some of your testing especially around the tcon is you are completely removing it via cable disconnects. this does not help very much because it is likely that the main board tries to communicate with the board. if it isn't there, the result is likely the same as if the tcon has powering or other internal / subtending issues (ie.beyond...at the panel).
                        did you try only disconnecting, one at a time, cabling going from the.tcon to the panel? as requested by others, pictures of the back side showing card layout/connection will help the forum.

Comment

Hi, the 5 Flash T-con error also comes up if there is a backlight LED failure..
                          It is most likely one or more LEDs may be failing and causing the no picture fault on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by masaudio View Post
                            Hi, the 5 Flash T-con error also comes up if there is a backlight LED failure..
                            It is most likely one or more LEDs may be failing and causing the no picture fault on occasion.
                            TV is 2008 model LCD and not LED. If OP included pics from back of the tv, it would be more obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                              It's not firmware and it's site not sight.
                              Gee thanks, that spelling lesson really helped with fixing this tv.

Comment

Gee thanks, that spelling lesson really helped with fixing this tv.

It stopped you and him wasting time on a firmware issue that wasn't, which was the primary objective, and educated you on which word to use.

Comment

It stopped you and him wasting time on a firmware issue that wasn't, which was the primary objective, and educated you on which word to use.
                                  As I already said diff-boy, YOU DON'T KNOW that it isn't a firmware problem, NOW DO YOU???? And you didn't educate anyone it was a typo.
                                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-14-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

As I already said diff-boy, YOU DON'T KNOW that it isn't a firmware problem, NOW DO YOU???? And you didn't educate anyone it was a typo.
                                    Yes, it's quite clearly not a firmware issue. And sorry to correct you again but a typographical error is a specific thing. Incorrectly pressing a key or two with fingers that go to fast. Replacing site with sight, is not a typo.

Comment

Like I said before where's YOUR solution, there's no proof yet that it isn't firmware problem. Anything meant to be typed a certain way that is incorrect IS a typo, while I was on wikipedia, I looked up "ANAL RETENTIVE" and low and behold, there was a picture of you.
                                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-15-2019, 04:52 AM.

Comment

... or two with fingers that go to fast. Replacing site with sight, is not a typo.
                                        It's "too fast", not "to fast".

Comment

Working...
                                        X