This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Mentioned bad caps on irc to someone, and he got this photo...

http://www.rifraf.info/images/hp_caps.jpg

More "TMS" caps, this time out of a HP system. he can't find any other brand on them either.

Willawake, want to add TMS to the photo montage?

--Randy

Comment

aw that is just gross. they have expensive rubycon MBZ there as well.

do we have permission to use the pic? it is a great pic. what happened to the 2 removed fets? toast?
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
        what happened to the 2 removed fets? toast?
        They probably died when the capacitors gave up the ghost. Either he took them off because they're DEAD, or they got so hot, they melted themselves off the board.

Comment

It looks like they were never there - just a manufacturing option.

Comment

dont tell mikey he has an even better animated chick on his site http://www.rifraf.info/

Comment

I have the same motherboard that you guys have reported to have bad TMS caps! It is just not used currently and is in an anti-static bag right now. My looking on that motherboard I have, there are United Chemi-Con and Sam-Young caps where the TMS caps would go. In the back strangely there are three good G-Luxon general purpose caps on the motherboard I have in a bag. In the front of the board there are three Rubycon MBZ caps and the two good brands of caps I can see on my board in a bag is the Rubycon and United Chemi-Con caps. The Sam-Young caps on the the bad cap list but they haven't failed yet.
              Last edited by Newbie2; 10-04-2005, 04:24 PM.
              My gaming PC:
              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
              ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
              PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
              G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
              TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
              WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
              ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
              Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
              Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
              Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I don't think it had FETs there; not only do the pads look like nothing was soldered there, but he said the board still works great, he just put in the spare pile when he noticed the caps. (knowing it might not work great for much longer. heh.)

I'll ask him about photo permission next time I see him.

--Randy

Comment

tms=too much shit?
                  btw the "missing" parts are for an optional phase not used on this model.

Comment

BTW, you can use my photo of the YEC in the Photo Montage if you like.
                    UraBahn
                    The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

TMS caps are very bad. Instead of the usual yellow/orange stuff we see come out of other caps we see TMS caps leak out chunks of dark brown stuff. Yuck.
                      My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by bushytails
                        Anyone have a capacitance meter? Some brands (i.e. Teapo) tend to fail with no physical signs... best way to document them would be a photo of the capacitor's rating next to a photo of the meter reading far lower than it should...

--Randy
                        Every bad cap I've had, except for shorted ones, tested fine for capacitance, including the Fuhjyyus from my Antec and the 1uF I replaced a few days ago for my TV (lower half of picture really stretched out). OTOH their ESRs were all high, again except for the shorted ones.

Comment

Many of my "torture" victims can be double or triple the rated Z, but the capacitance is still in-spec (though much reduced from the initial C - +/-20% is a really loose standard).
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Heres a failed Fulltec (bulged), Jee (bulged), and a CS (bulged with junk coming out the top) capacitor from a group that I pulled from an older rebadged Leadman LP-8800D that I was recapping "for fun". Ironically, the only cap that was still good (or at least looked good) in the O/P section was a 1000uF Fujiyyu, so you know if the Fujiyyu surived these must be bad.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here are some GL caps from an older Biostar slot A motherboard:

These four were clustered around two MOSFET heatsinks that get very hot. Out of the 12 total caps on the board, these were the only 4 failed. Board was still working fine, but for longevitys sake, I replaced those 4.
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Time for my submission. Two bad Chemi-con KZG 1500uF 16V caps from DFI LP B mobo (tought the rest looking quite OK, so maybe the one is just faulty and drag down the other one with it?) - pics can moderator took from my thread about it there: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...?t=1345&page=2 (likely the 4th one or so - your pick - or the second one? )

Now my Epox 8RDA+ caps - one example cap, two pictures:

Cap type 2200uF 10V GCS (re) 105°CT31A

Friend old dead (burned mosfets because caps lost their capacity) ECS K7S5A mobo:

Cap type 2200uF 6.3V G-LUXON LZ 105°C 1117 (M)

Enjoy!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by willawake; 04-27-2006, 04:25 PM.
                                "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                                "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

In the first three pictures, why are the failed caps in PCI slots?

The ECS K7S5A motherboard has been known here to catastrophically fail when the caps go bad in the MOSFET area, killing the MOSFETs.
                                  My gaming PC:

Comment

Well, because I obviously desoldered them from the mobo
                                    You want me to solder them back in order to take a photo?
                                    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                                    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

While UCC KZG series caps are not suitable for trodas's system, they are not bad caps in the common usage of Badcaps Forums, as I understand it anyway.
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I do believe that one of the cap (the burned-looking one) was faulty and dragged down the other too by excessive overheaing and losing capacity - therefore stressing the other one over the limits to the breaking point...

At least that is what I think happend.

Still, they did go and ain't quietly, after all

Comment

While UCC KZG series caps are not suitable for trodas's system, they are not bad caps in the common usage of Badcaps Forums, as I understand it anyway.
                                          until we see more reports of fails they are considered ok. Guys, please continue the discussion on trodas' thread.
                                          Last edited by willawake; 02-09-2006, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X