This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

My WNR3000 has the same problem... 10/100 Ethernet but "300Mbps" wifi...
    I think they realize that they won't really get 300 from the wifi... probably about 100 no matter what...

Comment

I bought a wireless router for my sister a few days ago... 300mbps wireless, 100mbps ports.
      About 10 networks around her apartment building, congested air space, obviously won't get 300mbps.

Tested about 2-3 meters away from the router with a laptop and a second computer connected to the router through cable, got about 3.8 MB/s

300 mbps is ideal conditions, in reality you won't get more than about 260 mbps so it's fair to equip them with 100mbps ports. They'd probably get more devices to the warranty saying they can't get transfers up to 300 mbps or 1gbps if they did so.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        no.

it drops connections and the 5ghz range was crap. me thinks it needs a recap.
        Thats because while it does have 8 etched antennas on the PCB only 5 are connected. 3 are for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (wl0 radio 1) and the other 2 only support 2.4Ghz (wl1 radio 2).

find a caddy and hdd. there are too many caddy-less units on ebay to stand a chance at selling it as it is now for a good price.

not to mention they make great laptop... I have it's newer daughter, the d630, and I love it. built like tank with plenty of power.

then again, you got it for free, so if you don't mind lowballing, you could sell it.
        I have a caddy and a spare 60GB 5400rpm drive (only laptop drive I have on hand). I was thinking of upgrading it and installing Win 7 Ult on it. It has 1GB memory now going to 4GB is a bit of a waste because the chipset wont see it all even with a 64bit OS installed. Do the D series have Dual Channel support? If so I may do the 4GB anyway or 2GB if not I will prolly go 3GB. I am thinking the 5400rpm drive will be slow as well so I am not sure if I should go with a 7200rpm drive or a small SSD does the D series support sata 300 and AHCI to take full advantage of a SSD?

My first D series Dell so I may ask alot of questions.
        Last edited by ratdude747; 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM. Reason: merged to de-clutter the thread

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
          Thats because while it does have 8 etched antennas on the PCB only 5 are connected. 3 are for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and the other 2 only support 2.4Ghz.

no wonder I couldn't find more than 5 yet netgear claims it has 8...

part of the reason some antennas do not support 5ghz is that it has two radios in it... one can do anything 5ghz or 2.4ghz, the other 2.4ghz only. As I have it set, one does 5ghz (N +A) and the other does 2.4ghz (N+G).

Good thing I held onto a couple intel wireless A pc cards...

Originally posted by brethin
          I have a caddy and a spare 60GB 5400rpm drive (only laptop drive I have on hand). I was thinking of upgrading it and installing Win 7 Ult on it. It has 1GB memory now going to 4GB is a bit of a waste because the chipset wont see it all even with a 64bit OS installed. Do the D series have Dual Channel support? If so I may do the 4GB anyway or 2GB if not I will prolly go 3GB. I am thinking the 5400rpm drive will be slow as well so I am not sure if I should go with a 7200rpm drive or a small SSD does the D series support sata 300 and AHCI to take full advantage of a SSD?

My first D series Dell so I may ask alot of questions.
          yes, it will do dual channel. 2gb should be good (what my d630 has).

I recommend that you clean the cooling if you haven't already... dell d series units are easy to work on... they really were designed to be maintained, not replaced...

since you have a caddy, go an use it. 60gb should be fine...

does yours have intel or nvidia graphics?

also, if yours doesn't have intel wireless and you want intel B/G/A, PM me, I have a spare "dell edition" intel 3945 module from when I upgraded my d630 to a 4965 (N/G/B/A).

Last, enjoy the laptop... other then the Nvidia glitch these laptops are built like tanks... Its hard to beat a magnesium lid and base...
          Last edited by ratdude747; 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM. Reason: merged to de-clutter the thread
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

802.11n is pretty much a marketing joke. Same for b/g.
            300MBit/s 802.11n is only theoretical, without any overhead (i.e. impossible to do).

In the real world, you can get around 9-12MByte/s through a 300MBit/s 802.11n setup with encryption.
            Pretty far from what you'd get from the theoretical 300MBit (37.5MByte/s), isn't it? :P

But hey wait a minute.. 100MBit/s wired ethernet translates into 12.5MByte/s theoretical transfer rate. Real world figures are a tad lower due to overhead, so let's say 8-10MByte/s. Does this ring a bell already?

Same story goes for 802.11g ("54MBit/s") .. real world throughput is around 20MBit/s = 2.5MByte/s.

If there's interference or you're far away from the router/access point, it gets even lower than the real-world figures mentioned above..

USB is a similar story to this. USB 2.0 is specified as 480MBit/s (60MByte/s). If you've ever connected a USB HDD and did some benchmarking, you'll know that's BS cause the 480MBit/s figure is again without any protocol overhead.. impossible to do.
            Real-world USB 2.0 speed is about 30-33MByte/s.

You can easily veryfy this. Grab a HDD that you know is faster than 40MB/s at all times (or some of the time at least). Do a benchmark with HDTune with the HDD directly connected to your system (IDE/SATA/whatever). Then connect the same HDD up via USB. I bet it won't get any faster than 33MByte/s, no matter what you do.

It's all just marketing BS..
            Last edited by Scenic; 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
              802.11n is pretty much a marketing joke. Same for b/g.
              300MBit/s 802.11n is only theoretical, without any overhead (i.e. impossible to do).

In the real world, you can get around 9-12MByte/s through a 300MBit/s 802.11n setup with encryption.
              Pretty far from what you'd get from the theoretical 300MBit (37.5MByte/s), isn't it? :P

But hey wait a minute.. 100MBit/s wired ethernet translates into 12.5MByte/s theoretical transfer rate. Real world figures are a tad lower due to overhead, so let's say 8-10MByte/s. Does this ring a bell already?

Same story goes for 802.11g ("54MBit/s") .. real world throughput is around 20MBit/s = 2.5MByte/s.

If there's interference or you're far away from the router/access point, it gets even lower than the real-world figures mentioned above..

USB is a similar story to this. USB 2.0 is specified as 480MBit/s (60MByte/s). If you've ever connected a USB HDD and did some benchmarking, you'll know that's BS cause the 480MBit/s figure is again without any protocol overhead.. impossible to do.
              Real-world USB 2.0 speed is about 30-33MByte/s.

You can easily veryfy this. Grab a HDD that you know is faster than 40MB/s at all times (or some of the time at least). Do a benchmark with HDTune with the HDD directly connected to your system (IDE/SATA/whatever). Then connect the same HDD up via USB. I bet it won't get any faster than 33MByte/s, no matter what you do.

It's all just marketing BS..
              N is still better than G though.

100m wired isn't wireless.

I know that n will never get past 100m in practice... but I remember playing with an n router with 1000m on it in my robotics team days and was a bit disappointed... even the wireless sees no benifit, the wired to wired bits would...

whatever, my fileserver is stuck at 100m anyway unless I rebuild it (no PCI-x slots in it).

-----------------

I am on a hot streak this week... Today I found a HP Laserjet 1020 for $5 today... It had toner in it too... I already have a 1012 and for $5 thought at the least it would be good for parts... turns out it has plenty of toner and works great... and I thought $10 for my 1012 was a good deal...
              Last edited by ratdude747; 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh boy.. I got lots of stuff yesterday.

A bunch of old motherboards, some Socket 478 (one with a cpu!) and some have the sockets missing!
                A bunch of old power supplies, mostly Gateway OEM units.
                4 computer cases, two are in decent shape, two have rust problems.
                I won't tell you how much I paid for all the above... unless you ask!

A seperate transaction:
                For $20 USD I got:
                1 socket 754 mobo with Athlon 64 3400+ CPU
                3 socket a CPU's, one an overclockable mobile chip!
                1 socket a mobo ATX form factor

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
                  Oh boy.. I got lots of stuff yesterday.

A bunch of old motherboards, some Socket 478 (one with a cpu!) and some have the sockets missing!
                  A bunch of old power supplies, mostly Gateway OEM units.
                  4 computer cases, two are in decent shape, two have rust problems.
                  I won't tell you how much I paid for all the above... unless you ask!

A seperate transaction:
                  For $20 USD I got:
                  1 socket 754 mobo with Athlon 64 3400+ CPU
                  3 socket a CPU's, one an overclockable mobile chip!
                  1 socket a mobo ATX form factor
                  off topic: any of those socket A CPUs MPs? Athlon/Durons with a 266/200 FSB? Matched? (I am looking to buy a pair of such chips )...
                  sigpic

Comment

off topic: any of those socket A CPUs MPs? Athlon/Durons with a 266/200 FSB? Matched? (I am looking to buy a pair of such chips )...
                    No durons. All are Athlon XP's.

Comment

No durons. All are Athlon XP's.
                      What FSB? if there is a matched set with a 266FSB, I am still interested (A little conducive paint and they become Athlon MPs)
                      sigpic

Comment

What FSB? if there is a matched set with a 266FSB, I am still interested (A little conducive paint and they become Athlon MPs)
                        I don't know; how do you tell?

I'm not selling the mobile one, but the others are Athlon XP's. One is 2200+ and the other is 2800+.

Comment

I'm not selling the mobile one, but the others are Athlon XP's. One is 2200+ and the other is 2800+.
                          The 2800+ is 333Mhz FSB and the 2200+ is 266Mhz FSB.

Comment

google up the cpu numbers and see what comes up from cpu world... the 2800+ is doubtful (IIRC the only 2800+ with a 266 fsb was an MP)

edit- beat me to the punch.
                            sigpic

Comment

I got some good stuff too in the last few days as well.

2x 1000 MHz Pentium 3 Coppermine CPUs (133MHz BUS) for a total of $2 (they were $1 each). Since I have a lot of computer stuff, I was almost ready to get rid of thatold, smelly, dumpster-picked HP Netserver E800 I found last year, but now that I have these CPUs, I think I will keep it. I tested the CPUs in it and it works great! With that 10k SCSI drive in it, it's really snappy, in fact. The only downside is the lack of AGP port on that computer and the on-board ATI Rage XL, which is very slow. I do have a PCI GeForce 6200, though. I have a feeling this might be better than mycurrent gaming computer (or at least very close).
                              I got the CPUs from a guy on Craigslist. Also got from him some 256 MB sticks of SDRAM (3 for $5).

As I was walking home yesterday (trash day), I spotted a computer by one of the trash cans. Took it home, of course. The case is missing its sides and everything was taken out of it except for the motherboard, CPU, and a 120 mm fan. I didn't have a chance to test it yesterday since it was pretty late, but all I know about it right now is that it has a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU (socket 939) and a AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard (one of those with both AGP and PCI-E 16x connectors, as well as PCI-E 1x and a "future CPU" connector to add a board that supports socket 940 CPUs). I'll check it later tonight to see if it works. I hope it does. Would be my first (working) computer with PCI-E 16x slot .

Also, another free score that I've had since last year but I'm not sure if I posted about it: A Dell GX270 motherboard with bad caps. I just finished recapping it last week (what a nightmare that was with my 35W Radio Shack iron!). Works great now. Just need to finish modifiying the heatsink holder (the original GX270 heatsink seems to be a bit different).
                              Last edited by momaka; 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                I got some good stuff too in the last few days as well.

2x 1000 MHz Pentium 3 Coppermine CPUs (133MHz BUS) for a total of $2 (they were $1 each). Since I have a lot of computer stuff, I was almost ready to get rid of thatold, smelly, dumpster-picked HP Netserver E800 I found last year, but now that I have these CPUs, I think I will keep it. I tested the CPUs in it and it works great! With that 10k SCSI drive in it, it's really snappy, in fact. The only downside is the lack of AGP port on that computer and the on-board ATI Rage XL, which is very slow. I do have a PCI GeForce 6200, though. I have a feeling this might be better than mycurrent gaming computer (or at least very close).
                                I got the CPUs from a guy on Craigslist. Also got from him some 256 MB sticks of SDRAM (3 for $5).

As I was walking home yesterday (trash day), I spotted a computer by one of the trash cans. Took it home, of course. The case is missing its sides and everything wasat taken out of it except for the motherboard, CPU, and a 120 mm fan. I didn't have a chance to test it yesterday since it was pretty late, but all I know about it right now is that it has a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU (socket 939) and a AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard (one of those with both AGP and PCI-E 16x connectors, as well as PCI-E 1x and a "future CPU" connector to add a board that supports socket 940 CPUs). I'll check it later tonight to see if it works. I hope it does. Would be my first (working) computer with PCI-E 16x slot .
                                interested in a 939 upgrade to a 3800+ athlon64 x2? I have one in a dead asus board w/ cooler. PM if interested.
                                sigpic

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Managed Dell PowerConnect 2716 Gigabit Switch
                                  Would not power up at all.

Tiny "startup cap" was dead, I replaced it & then the switch started up.
                                  I heard some strange noises from it though, turned out the bulk cap was completely dead. (But the switch still worked with it dead!)
                                  I replaced that cap aswell with a nice new Samxon and now it's running great
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-17-2016, 11:58 AM. Reason: Attached pictures taken before the recap
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                    Managed Dell PowerConnect 2716 Gigabit Switch
                                    Would not power up at all.

Tiny "startup cap" was dead, replaced ad it worked.
                                    I heard some strange noises from it though, turned out the bulk cap was completely dead (but the switch still worked with it dead!)
                                    I replaced that cap too with a nice new Samxon and now it's running great
                                    Somebody gave me a PowerConnect 2324. 24 port... Opened it up, PSU is all Jap caps, made by Delta... Logic board had Taicons that looked OK. I replaced ALL of the caps (Even the tiny ones which were already japs - must have been more than 20 of them). Lead holes were so small and it was RoHS slder, which made this very time consuming. It also has the rackmount brackets, but just take em off and you have a standard stackable switch. Only 10/100 though.
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Hey Michel,

Great news! I have a new 2009 Dell server for you WITH license in my car for you.

Give me a call since your phone doesn't work at home and I can drive it up to you.

Probably lots more stuff coming.

Daniel will be coming back from March 3rd through March 7th (my birthday!) to help me finish up the clean up of the office equipment.

Michael
                                      This might turn out well

Comment

Hmm... IDK what he was talking about... turns out it's a Dell PowerEdge T105, with Windows Small Business Server 2003 on it...
                                        I'm installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit as we speak
                                        I had to add a PCI sound card as there is no sound onboard.
                                        Dell product page: http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/poweredge-t105/pd
                                        Specifications of mine:
                                        -2.4GHz AMD Opteron CPU
                                        -4GB ECC RAM
                                        -2x 250GB Seagate ES.2 HDDs in RAID 1 (I switched it to RAID 0 for more capacity and speed)
                                        -DVDROM
                                        -Gigabit Ethernet
                                        -Dell 305W PSU (checked for bad caps, all look visually fine but Ltec bleh)
                                        -Dell motherboard with Rubycon, Sanyo, and polycaps
                                        -Dell RAID card
                                        -And now Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit... yay!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                          -2x 250GB Seagate ES.2 HDDs in RAID 1 (I switched it to RAID 0 for more capacity and speed)
                                          Nooooo. Raid 0 = Double the chance of failure. Given how unreliable all HDDs are nowadays, it's a VERY bad idea IMO.
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X