This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

My main problem is I'm in the California bay area where I can easily go buy another one of those towers for $5 without a hard drive or whatnot. They're a dime a dozen here.

Doesn't mean I'm throwing them out yet though as I still find them useful to either setup as temporary setups with my nComputing X550 cards or give away for people without systems.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

GX260 is close enough? I saw no problem there. Just that there was TOO MUCH plastic. Whole this GX2x0 series is one BIG mistake.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Actually, the GX2x0 series are the ones that I never noticed going purple either. But the GX520 and GX745, which are both newer, tend to do that a lot.
        And yeah, I agree that the GX2x0 series was not very good, especially with all of the plastic on the cases, as you noted. Personally, I dislike their clamshell design ever more. The non-clamshell Dimension and Optiplex from the same period are much better (well, relatively speaking anyways).

Comment

Alright. Not a bad day today.

Got:
          Two HP T510 thin clients. Both are Eden X2 U4200 chips, 4 gigs ram, 1 gig DOM and Wireless N.
          Two HP T5700 thin clients. Both are 733 MHz Transmeta Crusoes, ??? ram, 256 meg DOMs.
          Two HP T5135 thin clients. Both are 400 MHz Edens, 64 meg flash, 128 megs ram.

Six 1 gig FBDIMMs
          Four 4 gig FBDIMMs
          Two 2 gig FBDIMMs
          Four 1 gig DDR2 Reg ECC
          Two 512 meg DDR2 Reg ECC
          Two 1 gig DDR2

Six 72 gig 2.5" SAS drives
          Nine 146 gig 2.5" SAS drives
          Three 146 gig U320 drives
          Two 72 gig U320 drives

Two HP P400 SAS controllers (one with battery)

Two Xeon E5420 chips
          Three Xeon E5440 chips

HP P3005 printer (works fine - only 45k pages)
          HP 9100c scanner

Dell Precision T1500 sans ram, hard drive, video card and case side.

All for free.

Comment

Won this lot of CPUs for under £30 ~ 36€ : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Giant-Massive...EOIBSA:FR:3160

Full of modern laptop CPUs, and even a Celeron G1620 that still sells new for about the price I paid for the whole lot !
            i5 2410M
            i3 2350M
            i3 370M x2
            i5 530M
            Core 2 Duo P8600
            Core 2 Duo T5870
            Pentium Dual Core B950
            Pentium Dual Core B960 x2
            Pentium Dual Core B980
            Pentium Dual Core T4500
            Athlon II P320
            AMD V-Series V140
            Celeron 1000M x2
            Celeron 1005M x2
            Celeron G1620
            Celeron M 925

Comment

Todays good score....a local realtor and personal friend is retiring and cleaning out his office. Told me to some take all the office furniture and computer hardware he had. He didn't have to ask me twice!!

Got 2 large late 80's circa metal "L" desks and 1 smaller receptionists desk, all matching. He bought them new. I can definitely put those to use.

An old Macintosh II he also bought new.

Some P3-era PC's...don't know if they work or not, not important.

The pick of the litter besides the furniture, an HP laserjet 2600n color laser printer with a set of new cartridges.

Not a bad haul!!
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

^lucky bastard!

(do I say that too much )

The PIII era computers may have some interesting stuff in them... you'd be surprised. I know in a goodwilled church computer of that era I scored a somewhat rare motherboard (a tulie rated shuttle with an ISA slot, which I recapped).
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  ^lucky bastard!

The PIII era computers may have some interesting stuff in them... you'd be surprised. I know in a goodwilled church computer of that era I scored a somewhat rare motherboard (a tulie rated shuttle with an ISA slot, which I recapped).
                  Shuttle AV18V ? I have one of those

Comment

Well since I don't do repairs anymore I'm going to toss a bunch of stuff today. Its just odds and ends. Nothing good. I have already given away anything good that I had. I put this stuff out by the light pole and the local junk man always picks it up. He has gotten everything from complete working desk tops to working laptops from me.
                    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                    Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
                      Shuttle AV18V ? I have one of those
                      Yup, AV18V31, recapped with slightly larger values (as that's what I had in my stash and I didn't want to male a new order).

Handy board, good for the times when one needs ISA (CNC machines anybody?). Jetway also made a similar board, which I/my dad managed to fry (evercons didn't help).
                      sigpic

Comment

Mine's originally from a Tulip computer (dutch brand I think). It's full of OST and G-Luxon caps...But on the same chipset I have a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE that's much more interesting as it has plenty of switches for overclocking. It was full of Hermei caps, I replaced them with Rubycons from a crappy Gigabyte i810 based motherboard that was loaded with them !

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          ^lucky bastard!

One of the systems had a bad PSU (allied). Replaced it and it speedily loaded up windows ME. It was a Celeron 433 with 256mb RAM. The other one had a clicking 20gb WD hard drive, with an amazingly working DEER PSU. Celeron 1.1ghz with 256mb. YAY, ISA slots!! HAH! One of them had an old SB 128PCI, I havent seen one of those in 15 years! Good blast from the past!

The printer works like a champ. Great network printer. Not the fastest in the world.....but prints quite nice.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

The latter may be another semi rare tulie with ISA score. The former, less so.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've had some great scores the past few weeks. Best is:
                              Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" with i7 and GT 650M, I think it just has a bad magsafe port. Also, a 1366 socket gaming rig with a triple SLI/Xfire PCI slots, an i7 930, a 1000w modular PSU, and a Scout case.
                              Two Shuttle XPCs with a Q9550 and an X3360 with 8gb DDR2 each. Both had bad GPUs.

Pretty good run of things, considering how often I'm lucky if I find anything as recent as a socket 775 PC.

Comment

if the magenta seems pale on that hp its dusty optics.i have 2 at the shop.just needed cleaning.nice score!

Comment

An Apple Lisa 2\Mac XL...kind of.

http://imgur.com/a/KgOEU

Comment

that could have been worth $$$ if it was complete.
                                    you may still geta good price if you reverse the browning effect on the bromide in the plastic.
                                    it's done with a chemical wash based on hydrogen-peroxide i think.

Comment

Panasonic toughbook cf-19. has good battery, screen, and all plug covers.
                                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                        if the magenta seems pale on that hp its dusty optics.i have 2 at the shop.just needed cleaning.nice score!
                                        I tested it on a nice rich picture, no issues.....thanks for the tip though, might just give it a cleaning anyway. Page count is very low, 2900 pages. It's just a baby.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

A family friend's mom got out of the hospital recently and her Comcast remote quit working. I actually have a bunch of new ones so I took two.

I was told there was an Amiga for me and I figured I would grab it then. I wasn't expecting the 3 Commodore 64s and floppy drives to go with it.

Two of the Commodore 64s work, one has a slight text ghosting and squeel from TV speakers but works. The third turns on with "?OUT OF MEMORY ERROR IN 0". The Amiga seems to work but unfortunately the monitor was working before a couple ticks and it shut off and won't turn back on.

Not bad honestly has if I wanted to sell these I could get a fair amount for the working Amiga and the boxed Commodore 1541s and the boxed C64.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X