This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

mega score yesterday.... Got 4x new in package Kingston 120gb (sv300s37a) solid state hdd's, all for 100 bucks.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Niiiiice.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

HTPC's are extremely useful in my opinion. Nice grab! Gotta love having good caps, and a nice heatsink on the FETs. Make sure that chipset stays nice and cool, maybe put a little fan on it.

Comment

Picked up a MTD 21" push mower with a briggs quantum engine and bag off Freecycle. They said it runs and they weren't wrong.

On the other hand it has a bent crank shaft and burns a lot of oil. I'll keep it and look for a garbage engine to swap parts onto - it's not hard to find one with a rusted deck and hole in the gas tank to fix up. The deck is in great shape, no chips, scratches, rust, etc and it's not bowed.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTXJOylrmcA
          Last edited by Compgeke; 01-30-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

In other news, I picked up a Dell server for $10 today - no model markings anywhere on it or in BIOS for some reason. According to the service tag it's an R510.

Specs:
            Dual 3.2 GHz Xeon X5672 quad-cores
            64 GB DDR3
            PERC H700 SAS
            Intel 4-port gigabit card thrown in.

Quite nice, especially for $10.

Comment

64gb of ram for $10 that is a good price.

Comment

^ Indeed. I'll take one too .

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Yeah, I'm no fan of 17"-ers either. But beggars can't be choosers .
                  As for 19" and 21", I am actually interested in both. 19" CRTs usually have a bit better contrast than 21"s. But then again, who doesn't like a nice large 21"?

That 17" Dell is still in my car, though. The cold in my house and the crappy weather outside here makes me not want to do anything. It's either raining like mad or cold as balls. And always 25+ MPH (40+ K/hr) winds. Screw this town!

By the way, the small speaker is a Panasonic SB-PM11 - a simple 2-way speaker with a 4 and 3/4 inch subwoofer (12 cm) and 2 inch (~6cm) tweeter. Apparently, that goes to a Panasonic SC-PM11 mini stereo system. The rating on the back of the speaker says,
                  Impedance: 6 Ohms
                  Input: 100W (music)
                  Ah, I love it when they give a peak or some other "instantaneous" bogus power ratings.
                  Works fine, but it needs considerably more power pushed through it to get a decent sound output. The port appears to be tuned properly, though. I didn't test it too thoroughly, though. But it's only junk to mess with anyways.
                  Last edited by momaka; 02-03-2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Look what I got at purdue surplus for 5 bux:

It's a box of 9 new svhs tapes... The BIY price is 45 shipped for 8.

Not bad?
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      Look what I got at purdue surplus for 5 bux:

It's a box of 9 new svhs tapes... The BIY price is 45 shipped for 8.

Not bad?
                      If you have use for them, then great, but personally I wouldn't have taken them even for free.... I already have too much outdated stuff I'm trying to get rid of

Comment

Originally posted by Jooo View Post
                        If you have use for them, then great, but personally I wouldn't have taken them even for free.... I already have too much outdated stuff I'm trying to get rid of
                        I have two svhs players already... an old rca and a newer jvc with a did player too.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

My 1001st post! (thanks for the congrats on #1000 Mr. Mockingbird)

We found an XBOX 360 E thrown into the brush across the street after someone moved. Had some case related plastic bits rattling around inside whch shook out, and a corner of the case damaged. No PSU, no controller, no hard drive, no HDMI cable, so I can't test it, but had a PNY 32GB usb stick which is good connected to my PC.
                          Last edited by SteveNielsen; 02-13-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                            We found an XBOX 360 E thrown into the brush across the street ... No PSU, no controller, no hard drive, no HDMI cable, so I can't test it.
                            Sure you can! Got a spare PC PSU with a 12V rail capable of 12A? - That will do. You'll just need to open the Xbox and solder some wires on the reverse side of the connector and hook to the proper rails on the PSU . You only need 5V and 12V. If you want to make it a little more elaborate, you should also add a N-ch MOSFET to pull the PSU's PS_ON signal low when the Xbox 360 PS-ON signal goes high. It's just a simple inverter circuit.

Comment

Picked up two Precision T3500 towers for $5 together.

Not sure if full specs now but according to Dell one has a Xeon X3503 (dual-core), 2 gigs ram, NVS 295 and 2 gigs ram.

The other that I opened (didn't get S/T) has 2 gigs ram, NVS 295 and no HDD. Not sure what processor.

Comment

Got a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe for $1.80.

Strangely it wouldn't POST outside the case but after I installed it I had POST.

Right now it works fine with a Duron 1300MHz,1.50GB RAM,80GB SATA HDD,a Rexpower PX-400 PSU (recapped,it's a Key Mouse btw),a HD3450 and a PCI TV Tuner.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Sure you can! Got a spare PC PSU with a 12V rail capable of 12A? - That will do. You'll just need to open the Xbox and solder some wires on the reverse side of the connector and hook to the proper rails on the PSU . You only need 5V and 12V. If you want to make it a little more elaborate, you should also add a N-ch MOSFET to pull the PSU's PS_ON signal low when the Xbox 360 PS-ON signal goes high. It's just a simple inverter circuit.
                                  I've got suitable PSUs and have it disassembled but having no luck determining power connection specifics, it's a 360-E (manf date: 2013-11-14) with one axial, multi-conductor power jack and no obvious markings on the MB indicating voltages except GND (which is all over the place ). I can't decide which forum here to post in about this odd-ball.

Comment

Was just given a Hisense Sero 7 Pro tablet with cracked glass touch screen. The damage is mostly on the lower right corner and it still works fine. There is one crack running up the right side but you don't even see that crack when it's on and no sharp edges to slice fingers on. I might fill the corner where the major damage is with epoxy just to seal and cover the chipped out spot.

Comment

I bought a Brother network laser printer for £10 as it crinkled the paper when it exited. I set the paper feed to thick and all is good.

Comment

your problem is the rollers need a good clean.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          your problem is the rollers need a good clean.
                                          Thanks stj, what's the best thing to use for this ? IPA or will that attack the rubber ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X