This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Couldn't you fix that with a Modchip etc?
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Possibly but I'll probably just sell it off to those people who want Japanese games. I already have a regular US Wii as-is modded to load games off a hard drive.

On a side note though, I can say it's JDM as fuck and not be talking about a riced out car.

Comment

here is an interesting find!
        Attached Files
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

about that wii,
          you dont need a modchip, you need a specific game with a bug in it,
          then you can exploit it to install a usb-loader.
          after that all the games boot from a usb harddrive and it's region-free.

start here:
          http://hbc.hackmii.com/

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

I never seem to find any good stuff, but I got something last weekend (once again, not very good). I got a computer out of someone's trash. The case is scratched up, of course, but it can handle full ATX boards. Motherboard is an Asus P4M80-P4 (micro ATX), no CPU, memory or hard drive. Just the case, PSU, floppy drive and an optical drive (labeled 52/24/52, it might be a DVD-ROM also). The power supply is a Thermaltake PurePower 430 NP, most wires still bundled up on that PSU. The review at Hardware Secrets says it's good for 350 watts, and the ripple might not be too bad at lower loads.

Comment

Correction: The motherboard is a Biostar, not an Asus.

Comment

looted another radio shack... and today's scores:

2x extanded batteries for Galaxy S4: $4.50 a pop (the mophie pack works but I like a single pack solution better)

better yet:

Samsung I9300I Galaxy SIII neo (prepaid military): $99 brand new.

I was looking to get an SIII anyway, to run mirrorlink on. Not to mention it probably has an unlocked bootloader (so I can be rid of this PITA s4, which if this works will be my dad's to use).

Not bad?
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'd say $99 is good. it's cheaper than they are second hand over here at present.
                  I still keep meaning to root and install CFW on mine.
                  Just realised it a neo, not heard of those.
                  Last edited by diif; 03-26-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

^yeah, seems like a cross between an s3 and s4. Rooted easy, bootloader unlocked... getting CM 12 to install is being a bitch though. At least the modded version of drivelink (mirrorlink app) works (the stock one doesn't see my phone as an actual s3).
                    sigpic

Comment

OK, I finally got something decent. I got a Dell Dimension 4700 for $6 at the thrift shop. The monitor cost me $10, it is a 17-inch Dell, 4x3 aspect ratio, with a few bad pixels in a row, probably a factory defect. Keyboard was $3. Forgot to ask about the mouse.

The Dimension 4700 has a MicroATX board, 1 AGP slot, 2 PCI and 1 PCI-E x1 slot. 32-bit Pentium-4 2.8 GHz. Made April 2005, Grantsdale i915 chipset. 80 GB SATA drive has 28018 power-on hours and 2845 power-on cycles, 66% free space, running Win XP SP3 with a Dell COA (only 512 megs of 333 MHz RAM, needs an upgrade). The onboard ethernet chip does work (many fail by this age). It has two IDE channels and 2 SATA ports. This particular unit has an IDE DVD-ROM and an IDE DVD-RW in addition to the 80 GB SATA drive.

The motherboard video connector space has a piece of plastic over it. The AGP slot has a Radeon X300 SE video card, 128 MB RAM ("SE" usually means less speed/features, later on in the chip's life cycle, but it does have both VGA and DVI ports).

The computer had a hard time booting the first few times, but now it seems fine. The Dell 305-watt PSU (Active PFC) could be weak, I don't know.

I'd love to use this for a media server. Dell Dimension towers don't allow more fans, but I should be okay. Should I keep the Dimension board or install the 64-bit Asus P5GC-MX1333 that I'm recapping?

The Dimension board could boot with a lightly used IDE drive and use the 2 SATA ports for RAID-0 storage of my media content, but the Asus board has more RAM and more SATA capabilities (but onboard ethernet is dead). Either board will probably use an Ubuntu variant as a media/file server.

What is so special about this find? THIS TOWER CASE LITERALLY DOES NOT HAVE A SINGLE SCRATCH ON IT. It is AS PERFECT AS THE DAY IT WAS DELIVERED to the original owners!

Should I keep the Dimension board in there or finish soldering the Asus?
                      Last edited by Hondaman; 03-27-2015, 03:44 AM.

Comment

found this 1992 laptop,it needs a 20v power source i have a 19.5v from universal laptop charger ,would that charger handle running that laptop.
                        Attached Files

Comment

first you should check the caps on the mobo and in the psu.
                          then you should test it with linux and xbmc to see how well it does media stuff.

btw, you will probably find with dell that your other mobo wont just drop in, either the case wont line up or mount to the board, or the psu will have the right plug and the wrong pinout - or both.
                          i hate dell!

Comment

probably.
                            i remember those, the really good ones had an orange plasma display, most had lcd.

if it boots, replace the harddrive with a compact-flash adapter and a 4gig cf-card - it will boot like lightning.

Comment

Anything 18-22V will be usually be fine, just make sure it's DC and the correct polarity first.

Comment

Thanks for the warnings!

I checked, it looks like the mounting holes will be fine. I can even use the Dell fan shroud and thermostat-controlled Nidec fan with the Asus mobo.

(Yes, the Dell board has one or two visibly bloated caps, more may be bad. I'll probably use the Asus board after the re-capping - I have no I/O shield for it yet, but it will be better I think.)

I did not realize that PC-3200 memory (Dell) and the PC-6400 (Asus) physically fit the same socket in the Intel world (240 pins). The PC-3200 I have for my old AMD stuff was 184-pin.

I have a couple of genuine Seasonic 520W/620W units I can use if I need to. One was taken out of the box for the very first time to test the Dimension 4700 just a few hours ago.
                                Last edited by Hondaman; 03-27-2015, 07:49 AM.

Comment

i think 240pin is DDR2 and 184pin is DDR

Comment

That's a northwood ht unit. Uses dells weird audio connector. They're OK units... But underpowered in this decade.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I just won an auction on eBay for another P5GC-MX1333. It is a later board revision than the one I am recapping -- it has more poly capacitors near the LGA 775 socket. I'll probably use that board. I think this board can use (unofficially) 2 sticks of 2 GB each instead of 2 sticks of 1 GB each. I think. (800 MHz, PC-6400). I'll have to try it and find out.

Six dollars for a mid-tower that's in factory fresh condition. For me, that's the find of the decade (I don't find great stuff very often). Honestly, when I saw the mid-tower case was perfect, the chips inside really no longer mattered.
                                      Last edited by Hondaman; 03-28-2015, 03:51 AM.

Comment

density - is the magic word.

Intel boards can only use low density ram, AMD can use high density aswell and it costs half the price.

this seller has a bit mentioned about it.
                                        http://stores.ebay.com/focusmemory

Comment

Posting this from the SIII Neo... Now running CM12. Drivelink didn't work on the factory image after all so running CM is a good 2nd.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X