Macbook 13A1502 820-4924 Rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook 13A1502 820-4924 Rebooting

It turns on, but anywhere from turning it on until hours after logging in random kernel panics, screen going dark (but backlight still lit), and completely turning off happen.

Happens at idle CPU temperatures as well a 95+ degrees.
    Doesn't matter what is happening, idling, running CPU/GPU/SSD stress tests, using web browser.

Memtest ran for 4 hours no failures.
    Issue happens in SMC bypass mode.
    Apple diagnostics says no problems.
    Re-applied thermal paste.
    No corrosion at all on the board.
    I have tried running with no battery, only battery, battery and magsafe at the same time, problems occur during all scenarios.

I read that the 15" version has bad mosfets that fail over time, those unfortunately aren't in the 13"
    Last edited by powerblackout; 01-16-2022, 06:55 PM.

Re: Macbook 13A1502 820-4924 Rebooting

I've tried several things since then:

Removing the right I/O board.
    Going back from monterey to high sierra.
    Installing OS on a USB drive, it was really slow to install and run, but it didn't crash.

I now have a new SSD in, previously the macbook would be able to run form 4-5 hours before crashing, it has now been running for 10 hours without restarting. I'm jinxing it so I can get it to crash sooner, but this looks like the issue!

Comment

Originally posted by powerblackout View Post
      I've tried several things since then:

Removing the right I/O board.
      Going back from monterey to high sierra.
      Installing OS on a USB drive, it was really slow to install and run, but it didn't crash.

I now have a new SSD in, previously the macbook would be able to run form 4-5 hours before crashing, it has now been running for 10 hours without restarting. I'm jinxing it so I can get it to crash sooner, but this looks like the issue!
      Well done for trying the SSD. It doesn't sound like a logic board issue to me especially with the varying degrees of time for the shut downs. Report back let us know if it's worked!

Comment

Replaced the SSD and the laptop ran for 14 hours without a crash. I'd consider this solved.

Comment

Originally posted by powerblackout View Post
          Replaced the SSD and the laptop ran for 14 hours without a crash. I'd consider this solved.
          Thanks this is brilliant and thanks again for telling us. And just to think from all the different approaches available and that this is one that has worked out! Amazing! :-)
          Last edited by Simplebeans; 01-20-2022, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X