Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to use a capacitor with a much higher ripple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok to use a capacitor with a much higher ripple?

Hi all

I am trying to source some new caps for the power board on my LG TV. The one I am currently struggling to find a replacement for has the specs:
    Sam Young KMG 680uf 50V with a rated ripple current of 973. According to the catalogue these seem to be a general purpose capacitor and it is not clear why LG have used them on the power board.

I like to use Panasonic capacitors but most of these have got a ripple voltage of 2-3 times the figure of the original capacitor. My preferred FR capacitors are 3160 while the FC ones are 2215. Would going from 973 to 3160 be way too over-kill and cause other problems? Are the FC series ok to use for a power supply board?

Thanks

Re: Is it ok to use a capacitor with a much higher ripple?

higher ripple current is fine in my book .

Comment

Re: Is it ok to use a capacitor with a much higher ripple?

Replacing a GP cap with a low impedance, high ripple current rating cap is usually OK. Unless it was a GP cap in a circuit needing low impedance, etc., the original part would not have been a misuse.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
      X