Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing capacitor in Original Xbox Foxlink Power Supply

Hello all,

Got a bit of a noob question - I have an original XBox revision 1.0 with a Foxlink FTPS-0001 Rev B psu. I've already removed the infamous clock capacitor and I'm planning on replacing the caps around the big heat sink (Thanks to everyone who contributed to that massive thread for pointing me in the right direction) but I also noticed on the PSU there's one large cap that seems to be bulging a little. It is cap C19 and from my googling I've been able to determine it's a 2200 uF 10 V capacitor.

My questions are:
    1) Can I just replace this with any cap of matching capacitance, voltage, and size or do I need to be careful to match other factors like ESR the way you seem to have to do with the 5 caps around the CPU? And if so, how would I find out those specs? People have posted the exact models of those CPU caps so their datasheets could be looked up but I've found nothing on the PSU caps besides capacitance and voltage

2) This particular cap is under a lot of that white glue/putty that is all over every xbox PSU. Is there a particularly easy way to get it out from under that and then would I need to find something to re-secure the new cap or could I just solder it in and leave it?

Appreciate any assistance y'all can provide!

Re: Replacing capacitor in Original Xbox Foxlink Power Supply

you need low esr caps such as panasonic FR series.

if you see any 1200uf caps in that foxlink - change them.
    in the 230v supplies they always dry up inside

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply! That's very helpful and I'll go order some of those.

This psu does have a couple of 1200uf so I'll order some replacements for those as well. Can those be replaced with polymer caps like the ones by the CPU?

Also would you happen to know if securing them with anything like the original glue or putty they used is necessary or can I just solder them in and call it done?

Thanks again for your help

Comment

you dont need glue,
        as for polymers - i dont know and it's a bit expensive to find out.

Comment

Working...
        X