Another MacBook Pro 16"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another MacBook Pro 16"

Ok this is another one we are working on, it turns on gets 20V goes up to 1.00 amps etc. Did a revive and what not but no image, did a restore, no image...

LCD is not cracked btw, tested externally so works fine.

Basically the computer is able to go into DFU and revive or restore etc. However the fans spin for about 10 seconds turns off then spins again for 10 seconds turns off.

Power button turns the computer on and then it shuts off. even with power plugged in or on battery. I am sure this is an easy fix since the board turns on and it could be something on the board we can trace, just never came across this issue in this board.

Board is clean and has no signs of water damage.
    sigpic
    MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Re: Another MacBook Pro 16"

Check the voltage on L7211, L7221 and L7231, also check if caps lock works on keyboard

Comment

Checking now.

Caps lock turns on. Looks like the fans are staying on this time which is odd from last week. Updating with voltage readings here shortly
      sigpic

Comment

Update:
        L7211 .78Volts
        L7221 .78Volts
        L7231 .78Volts

God I hope this is not a bad CPU.
        sigpic

Comment

OK - need to ask, why is it game over once the CPU is considered bad ?

Can the CPU not be swapped out ? (using a BGA rework station)

Are these replacement CPUs not on Aliexpress ?

Comment

It is game over for us since we do not have a BGA machine. We only have soldering machines. I mean we could mail it in for BGA rework of course but that lays the question if it is a CPU.
            sigpic

Comment

Update:

WTF is wrong with this machine.
              now the CPU is hot and the GPU is hot and fans are running

Voltage on lines are now from .78 to 1.40Volts.

Hello?!
              sigpic

Comment

Any thoughts?
                sigpic

Comment

Personally have not faced this issue yet but am working with a logic board that appears to hint (via diode mode testing) that the CPU is nuked. From assorted readings on Louis' forum and here, often it means the CPU is cooked. Remove all power.

Meter in diode mode.

Red meter probe to GROUND; Black meter probe to the vcore rails of the CPU.

What are the readings ?

We recently de-crated our BGA rework system (ZM model from China - used by Foxconn) which costs more than my car. Hope to test it out very soon. It is fully automatic but focus was to replace BGA / WLCSP devices and including repairs of dead CPU / PCH of these logic boards. It took 3 of us to lift the machine onto the table top (not that any of us are of Arnold's physique).

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                    Personally have not faced this issue yet but am working with a logic board that appears to hint (via diode mode testing) that the CPU is nuked. From assorted readings on Louis' forum and here, often it means the CPU is cooked. Remove all power.

Meter in diode mode.

Red meter probe to GROUND; Black meter probe to the vcore rails of the CPU.

What are the readings ?

We recently de-crated our BGA rework system (ZM model from China - used by Foxconn) which costs more than my car. Hope to test it out very soon. It is fully automatic but focus was to replace BGA / WLCSP devices and including repairs of dead CPU / PCH of these logic boards. It took 3 of us to lift the machine onto the table top (not that any of us are of Arnold's physique).
                    How much did it actually cost? I know the good machines from china run from 20,000 to 50,000. The really good automated ones are even more if you want one that never has issues. LOL but yeah man I want one for our shop one day. We only need one, because the odds of dead CPUS are slim but it be nice to have one. It would pay for itself if we had like maybe 200 devices that needed CPU swaps to resell.
                    sigpic

Comment

They list them @ $20k-$25k USD. It is their latest model with HD cameras and can support down to 0.5mm*0.5mm LED removal. We are working with 1.4*1.4mm FPGA devices (16 ball WLCSP package @ 0.4mm ball pitch). Openly, can repair these by eye / hand but it is nice to have a laser pointer and automatic tools to do the same. My hands are not as steady as they used to be but then again, flux and tweezer to make the BGA dance is a very good technique to follow (thanks Louis!).

I have heard someone recently bought a similar product for ~$13k-$14k USD. Due to the covid crunch, they offered us a promo price shy of this price. The vendor is very strong in Asia and attends all the trade fairs. They are coming to the USA for the upcoming APEX show - next week ?

We still have to clean up the solder pads by hand manually (ie. no vacuum system) but is with carbon fiber heaters, etc. which are mighty close to the features of a $50k-$60k units you will see on the market.

We are very interested to upgrade iMACs / macbooks on their memory and replace PCH / CPU devices. This in addition to reworking on of our designs with about 300-500 PCBAs where the silicon was announced by the mfr of having some bugs so we shelved the shipments. A local contract manufacturer wanted $100 per board for the rework with no guarantees - no thanks.

https://www.seamarkzm.com/products/z...ework-station/
                      Last edited by mon2; 01-17-2022, 03:57 PM.

Comment

They list them @ $20k-$25k USD. It is their latest model with HD cameras and can support down to 0.5mm*0.5mm LED removal. We are working with 1.4*1.4mm FPGA devices (16 ball WLCSP package @ 0.4mm ball pitch). Openly, can repair these by eye / hand but it is nice to have a laser pointer and automatic tools to do the same. My hands are not as steady as they used to be but then again, flux and tweezer to make the BGA dance is a very good technique to follow (thanks Louis!).

I have heard someone recently bought a similar product for ~$13k-$14k USD. Due to the covid crunch, they offered us a promo price shy of this price. The vendor is very strong in Asia and attends all the trade fairs. They are coming to the USA for the upcoming APEX show - next week ?

We still have to clean up the solder pads by hand manually (ie. no vacuum system) but is with carbon fiber heaters, etc. which are mighty close to the features of a $50k-$60k units you will see on the market.

We are very interested to upgrade iMACs / macbooks on their memory and replace PCH / CPU devices. This in addition to reworking on of our designs with about 300-500 PCBAs where the silicon was announced by the mfr of having some bugs so we shelved the shipments. A local contract manufacturer wanted $100 per board for the rework with no guarantees - no thanks.

Let me know when you get that machine working and we can partner together with our shop in America to ship our devices to you for BGA rework (bad CPUS, GPUS etc.)
                        sigpic

Comment

Our shop is near Detroit, I already have some units I could send your way for repair and upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                          X