Short circuit Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14ikb laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short circuit Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14ikb laptop

Would change HDD, and dropped a paper clip on the motherboard when I was going to pick up a screw. It resulted in a small flash.
    Now the computer does not start at all.
    I have located one or two burned components.
    And now need some feedback. What can I do? I really need a computer. It was a gift from a friend so I could do my music and my photo editing.

What are the marked components called?
    So are they called PL601?
    Can you order them from anywhere?
    Is it worth spending time and energy on the computer?
    Can I repair it myself by replacing the components?
    Can I leave the computer somewhere. If so, who do you recommend?
    I live in Sweden.
    Please help. Iam very frustrated.

Well met
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-16-2022, 02:35 PM.

Re: Short circuit Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14ikb laptop

PL means its an inductor. Post the silkscreened motherboard part number, a schematic might be available to ID the value of it.Look under the SSD ,it might say LA-????
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Here is what was found in the database for the ideapad 720S - see attached.

A short across PL601 & the solder blob @ PJ601 may be a killer since PJ601 is the much higher voltage rail serving as the INPUT to the switching power supply. Then the switching power supply lowers the voltage to 3v3 (using PL601 inductor). Respectively, it is not safe to expose the parts on the 3v3 voltage rail to the higher voltage. Perhaps a shutdown condition triggered during this event and perhaps the parts are ok but each is unknown.

Do you have a multimeter to make some measurements ? Do you have access to hot air soldering tools ? tweezers, etc. ?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mon2; 01-16-2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        Here is what was found in the database for the ideapad 720S - see attached.
        I think the board is a la-e581p ,no schematic available only a boardview/parts placement PDF .Looks like what you have could be a good match though
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by Bluerose_sweden View Post
          Please help. Iam very frustrated.
          Post some better pictures if you can,and post them on badcaps,not at an external image host .

Comment

This is an odd one - the schematic I believe is a match but unable to locate a boardview file to match the posted pic.

Any markings on the logic board ?

Comment

This is an odd one - the schematic I believe is a match but unable to locate a boardview file to match the posted pic.

Any markings on the logic board ?
              https://www.insidemylaptop.com/wp-co...assembly-4.jpg Its marked under the SSD

Comment

thanks for all the answers. I have screwdrivers, tweezers, hot air gun, soldering iron. No multimeter. Also do not know how one works. "killer"? As if nothing can be done about this? Have read a bit about the computer. And it does not seem bad at all. Would be a shame to have to discard it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Remove that coil PL601 from mb. You need a multimeter to repair this mb. Resistance on both pads of PL601(After it is removed) has to be measured before proceeding further. Meter must be set in resistance mode(200 ohms will do) to measure it.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                    Remove that coil PL601 from mb. You need a multimeter to repair this mb. Resistance on both pads of PL601(After it is removed) has to be measured before proceeding further. Meter must be set in resistance mode(200 ohms will do) to measure it.

What metodh should i use when remowing it? What would i think on when doing the operation?

Thanks for helping me. Awesome forum

Comment

PJ601 may be a killer since PJ601 is the much higher voltage rail serving as the INPUT to the switching power supply
                      just for knowledge seeking, sir why do we use PJ or jumper pad in the laptop(power/polar jumper whatever its abbreviation)?

Comment

PJ601 = solder blob and acts like a wire to pass the high (DC adapter 19 volts) into the local switching power supply chip.

Then there is PL601 which is used to drop the above high voltage to a lower 3v3 rail.

If the paper clip was across PL601 & PJ601 which caused the spark then it is very possible that the high voltage passed onto the lower voltage rail which can cause severe damage to the low voltage parts.

More will be known as you continue to investigate the logic board.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluerose_sweden View Post
                          What metodh should i use when remowing it? What would i think on when doing the operation?

Thanks for helping me. Awesome forum
                          Apply flux on PL601 and use hot air gun to remove it. Keep a tweezer on another hand to remove the coil but dont try to remove it forcefully as that will damage the mb pads. Allow the solder to melt and then gently remove it.

Comment

Working...
                          X