Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft to re-design windows 8 interface.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft to re-design windows 8 interface.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...sign-windows-8

heres hoping they keep the tiles for mobile devices, and give desktops and non-touch laptops the trusted proven interface, as well as all the enhanced hardware support and performance of the new kernel
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Microsoft to re-design windows 8 interface.

Moved to announcements, as this is that kind of news.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Extra Extra read all about it! Microsoft to re-design windows 8 interface.

In other news, Microsoft discovers people want to use their computers for actual work, and not just dicking around on a silly touchscreen interface.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I'll still be sticking with Linux, of course. My computer doesn't even meet Windows 8 x64's requirements (Not enough RAM).

Comment

you don't have 2gb of memory? install the 32 bit version

wait, scratch that. Wait for this 'redesign' to be finished and see if its any good. THEN try.

Comment

I'm sticking with Linux & WinXP/Win7.

WinXP/Win7 on the desktop, Linux (Ubuntu) on the laptop.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hopefully it will be good I liked Windows 8 for a while, then my new laptop came with it, and after deciding it was inefficient is now running Windows 7
              I hope Windows 9 is good.

Comment

Horrendous OS.....they need to scrap it and start over.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Horrendous OS.....they need to scrap it and start over.
                  its based off windows 7 I believe. They just need to add the win7 interface for desktops and laptops

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    its based off windows 7 I believe. They just need to add the win7 interface for desktops and laptops
                    They won't do that, as that would be the RIGHT thing to do...they'll do typical steve ballsucker microshaft nonsense....which is to add it, call it windows 9, and make everyone buy a new license....
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I thought this guy pretty much summed things up nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo

I had a customer bring me a brand new laptop with stock Windows 8. Tried it out. Within a few minutes I decided to take it back to Windows 7. I would very much like them to take the interface back to Windows XP style, but that will never happen.

I don't know why people always say "Wow, Windows 7 is so much better than Vista". Windows 7 is exactly the same as Windows Vista. They are both beautified versions of Windows that sacrificed some of the intuitiveness of the Windows XP UI for a better look. I think the idea was to promote the PC platform, and that more people would be attracted to PCs if they made it look pretty.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

well it stayed on a board on the wall pc testbed about 15 minutes before i put it down.
                        and now i have upgraded 2 brand new as in i broke the seal on the box laptops.
                        when folks buy a new box and bring it directly to me to be wiped out and reloaded with 7 shows you what they think about 8.
                        this will no doubt stretch the lifecycle of older boxes and bring me more repairs!

Comment

Good, more money for you... while we all complain about bad caps and other shoddy electronics stuff half of the people here fail to realize they would not have a job if electronics worked right always Not like I want my computer to die I mean if my servers stop working or are unstable I'm fucked but just like Windows 8 there is always a way to improve something.

Comment

you don't have 2gb of memory? install the 32 bit version
                            But then 64-bit integer math is all slow! (Yes, I use that) Besides, Windows is optimized for Intel CPUs. I have an AMD. GCC's "-march=k8" option works wonders with it.

Comment

heh
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                                But then 64-bit integer math is all slow! (Yes, I use that) Besides, Windows is optimized for Intel CPUs. I have an AMD. GCC's "-march=k8" option works wonders with it.
                                Never noticed that...

heh
                                Epic. I was a toddler in the days of AOL/dialup internet so i have little to none of my own experience as to how it was, but the resemblance is striking.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

"Kids only" Yep, Microsoft liked that idea

Comment

Attached Files
                                    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

ok microsoft quit being STUPID! now do i keep working on touchscreen code or not? you make my head spin!
                                      ok all pissed off trying to follow the market aside, im now thinking microsoft is trying to make themselves go bankrupt.
                                      Last edited by goontron; 06-01-2013, 09:01 PM.
                                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I never saw that version of AOL. The first time I saw AOL was in 1999 after they switched to the user interface they used in every version afterward.

The hammer analogy isn't quite accurate. Windows 7 is only a slight improvement over Vista. It sill contains most of the stupid crap to dumb it down and make it harder for people to change critical settings like the low battery warning point.

I think it is time for me to learn Linux. I just need a computer to run it on.

Comment

Working...
                                        X