Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Precision 7510 charge battery and left side board problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Precision 7510 charge battery and left side board problem.

Hello friends!
    I have a Dell Precision 7510 with 2 problems.
    1) The battery doesn't charge and gives (in BIOS) a "Communication error" message. I want to know if the problem is in the battery itself or in MB.
    2) The left side mini board (the one with Type C, HDMI, MiniDP & 1x USB 3.0) prevents the laptop from power on more than one time.
    Without the board the laptop power on and off normally and works great, with it attached powers only once and if switched off doesn't power on again.

Schematics attached

Thank you in advance!!!
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Precision 7510 charge battery and left side board problem.

Is there any damage on the daughter board ,all pins straight etc. Is the battery a genuine one.
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Please post good pictures of both boards.

Comment

Hello, sorry i forgot the pictures. Atrached now.

@SMDFlea the battery is genuine and the side board looks fine BUT the laptop (including some drops on battery and side board) suffered water damage, i cleaned everything and works fine except these 2 issues.
        Can we check if the communication between MB and battery is fine?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Andreasbest; 09-14-2021, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Good news.
          One of my customer's will bring me his 7510 for Windows 10 installation.
          We'll be able to test a lot of things with a fully working machine and first the battery.

Comment

Good thing, you'll be able to cross check.

There appears to be SPI memory ICs. Dump the contents from the client's board, issue may be with them.

Another one could be the bigger BGA IC that looks like USB 3.0 controller, sometimes they go bang and short data lines.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenHaxor View Post

There appears to be SPI memory ICs. Dump the contents from the client's board, issue may be with them.

Another one could be the bigger BGA IC that looks like USB 3.0 controller, sometimes they go bang and short data lines.
              There`s 2 SPI memory ICs ,UT1 and UT20
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Ok the fully working 7510 is here.
                Fact #1: the battery from the faulty one is working like it should and charges fine. So the "communication error" is MB problem.

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenHaxor View Post

I don't care much about the side board, it's for 40€ on eBay, i want to check some stuff on it but i'm not gonna waste your time with it.
                  I care mostly about the battery "communication error" since it's definitely a MB problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreasbest View Post
                    I don't care much about the side board, it's for 40€ on eBay, i want to check some stuff on it but i'm not gonna waste your time with it.
                    I care mostly about the battery "communication error" since it's definitely a MB problem.
                    Check PBAT_SMBCLK & PBAT_SMBDAT lines:
                    1. Resistance to dround
                    2. Voltage

Check PBAT_PRES#: resistance to ground with and without battery connected.

Check PR3: resistance between: 4-5; 3-6; 2-7
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                    Become a Badcaps supporter
                    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                    Thanks to all supporters.​
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

What's the battery model? Can you probe SDA and SCL lines with a scope on the battery connector?

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
                        Check PBAT_SMBCLK & PBAT_SMBDAT lines:
                        1. Resistance to dround
                        2. Voltage

Check PBAT_PRES#: resistance to ground with and without battery connected.

Check PR3: resistance between: 4-5; 3-6; 2-7
                        PBAT_SMBCLK & PBAT_SMBDAT lines: Measured them on RP5, 7 and 8 pins.
                        1. Resistance to dround: No resistance to GND
                        2. Voltage: 3.3v both pins

Check PBAT_PRES#: resistance to ground with and without battery connected: Can't find a component to measure it. Any ideas?

Check PR3: resistance between: 4-5; 3-6; 2-7: 4-5 100Ohm 3-6 100 Ohm 2-7 100Ohm

Comment

SMBUS clock and data have to be checked with diode mode to ground.
                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

PBAT_SMBCLK & PBAT_SMBDAT lines: Measured them on RP5, 7 and 8 pins.
                            1. Resistance to dround: No resistance to GND
                            2. Voltage: 3.3v both pins

Check PR3: resistance between: 4-5; 3-6; 2-7: 4-5 100Ohm 3-6 100 Ohm 2-7 100Ohm
                            So far so good.

Check PBAT_PRES#: resistance to ground with and without battery connected: Can't find a component to measure it. Any ideas?
                            Pin7 at PR3 - measure resistance to ground without battery connected, then measure the voltage with and without the battery.

Comment

So far so good.

Pin7 at PR3 - measure resistance to ground without battery connected, then measure the voltage with and without the battery.
                              PR3:
                              Battery only
                              1 0v
                              2 0v
                              3 3.3v
                              4 3.3v
                              5 3.3v
                              6 3.3v
                              7 0v
                              8 0v

Charger only
                              1 0v
                              2 3.3v
                              3 3.3v
                              4 3.3v
                              5 3.3v
                              6 3.3v
                              7 3.3v
                              8 0v

Battery and Charger
                              1 0v
                              2 0v
                              3 3.3v
                              4 3.3v
                              5 3.3v
                              6 3.3v
                              7 0v
                              8 0v

Comment

PR3:
                                Battery only
                                1 0v
                                2 0v
                                3 3.3v
                                4 3.3v
                                5 3.3v
                                6 3.3v
                                7 0v
                                8 0v

Charger only
                                1 0v
                                2 3.3v
                                3 3.3v
                                4 3.3v
                                5 3.3v
                                6 3.3v
                                7 3.3v
                                8 0v

Battery and Charger
                                1 0v
                                2 0v
                                3 3.3v
                                4 3.3v
                                5 3.3v
                                6 3.3v
                                7 0v
                                8 0v
                                Hmm so far all measurement are correct, and as it should be. Active low battery present signal is OK. Low indicates battery present, high indicates battery absent.
                                It remained only to check the continuity in the PBAT_SMBCLK & PBAT_SMBDAT lines between the battery connector and the KBC chip (see the attached image).
                                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Is the additional daughter board (suspected to be defective one) being connected to the main board when taking all the measurements? Because the signal PBAT_PRES# goes through JIO2 and that connector is on the additional suspected defective board. So given the fact that all measurements so far are OK, and the battery is confirmed good, maybe that's where the problem is. It is best in this case for you to try and see if the problem persist with a known good working daughter board.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Vesko356; 09-15-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Hmm so far all measurement are correct, and as it should be. Active low battery present signal is OK. Low indicates battery present, high indicates battery absent.
                                  It remained only to check the continuity in the PBAT_SMBCLK & PBAT_SMBDAT lines between the battery connector and the KBC chip (see the attached image).
                                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  Is the additional daughter board (suspected to be defective one) being connected to the main board when taking all the measurements? Because the signal PBAT_PRES# goes through JIO2 and that connector is on the additional suspected defective board. So given the fact that all measurements so far are OK, and the battery is confirmed good, maybe that's where the problem is. It is best in this case for you to try and see if the problem persist with a known good working daughter board.
                                  With or without the defective board the battery status on BIOS goes from "Charging" to "Discharging" repeatedly.
                                  Like disconnecting and connecting the charger again and again.
                                  I don't see the "communication error" message anymore.
                                  Laptop works without interruption with charger only just the charge has issue (tested both batteries, one Dell and one OEM)
                                  Voltages on PR3 with charger, battery and defective board connected are:
                                  1 0v
                                  2 0v
                                  3 3.3v
                                  4 3.3v
                                  5 3.3v
                                  6 3.3v
                                  7 0v
                                  8 0v
                                  Last edited by Andreasbest; 09-15-2021, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Update:
                                    Laptop doesn't power on with battery only, if i attach charger it works and then if i remove it it keeps working with battery like it should.
                                    Really weird situation.

Comment

ok. have you checked PD702,PU1001 and all around the dock connector for liquid damage/corrosion

Comment

I can see corrosion on several solder points (lead turn black) but nothing major.
                                        All MB is good and clean, probably something is corroded but i can't see it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X