dell latitude 7490 la-f322p no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dell latitude 7490 la-f322p no power

this board does not seem to have a short to ground. 19 volts gets to the current sensing resistor. 12 volts is on the battery terminal. there is 0v on the battery smbus but i don't have a battery for it and that might be the issue. will someone tell me whether this board needs a battery installed to power up?

Re: dell latitude 7490 la-f322p no power

Nope. All laptop mb will work in ac adapter mode(without battery).So to powerup, battery is not needed.Btw, if you have 0 volts on smbus that indicates perhaps absence of 3v LDO. So do check your 3V PWM regulator's requirements and measure the resistance on 3V LDO.

Comment

gettin 0v on 3v5v_en with comes from alwon. what is alwon

Comment

ALWON=Always On. This signal comes from SIO and is needed to get output on 3/5V coils. But first you need to get 3V LDO. The PWM regulator will generate it without ENABLE signal.

What is the voltage and resistance on 3V LDO??
        Last edited by mcplslg123; 12-01-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

the sio which is a bga package appears to the issue. rtc_cell has a short to ground and i ran 1v through its path and the EC lit up like a christmas tree on the thermal camera. i would reball it but i'll assume that it's dead since i reflowed it real good and nothing changed. the chip is mec5105

Comment

is reprogramming easy enough? i know how to reprogram a bios

Comment

A shorted ec needs to be replaaced , not reballed. Its bit difficult to program these bga ec.

Comment

well i replaced the sio with a new one and the short on +rtc_cell is back. is measures 1.1 ohm resistance to ground
                Last edited by kjchatman; 12-24-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kjchatman View Post
                  well i replaced the sio with a new one and the short on +rtc_cell is back. is measures 1.1 ohm resistance to ground
                  Hi kjatchman,
                  I have exactly the same issue - +RTC_CELL shorted to the ground (~1 Ohm) and no ALWON signal. I haven't done a short-circuit test yet because I don't have a thermal camera, I need to borrow.
                  Have you solved this problem on your laptop?
                  I would appreciate any advice

Comment

Short on RTC is usually related to shortedRTC section of PCH . Trace this signal to PCH and check resistance there. If you are lucky,it can be a shorted cap on the backside of SOC but very unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                    X