2 servers in 1 rack unit toaster!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 servers in 1 rack unit toaster!!!

of course it was going to happen. Charge by rack space and the most budget customers are going to toast 2 servers back to back in 1U.

http://www.flexiserv.com

anyway they have other more realistic interesting stuff. the toaster i guess is just the wtf marketing factor. somebody must buy it though. Well, servers with game and audio ports, i think the market is obvious.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Charge by rack space?! HEH, that's a new one on me.... :roll: I guess that's why I do all my own hosting.... If something goes wrong, I can fix myself immediately and not have to rely on shoddy tech support to take days while my site is down...
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

yeh sorry TC that is a bad wording. Rackspace is just one of the items in a hosting package, BANDWIDTH is the $$$$ one. But anything more than 1U is gonna cost you at most datacentres.

I totally dig what you are saying but i wish i had a nice connection for hosting. Dicks at one ISP here lost all the company email for one day. Good job they found it I was holding their next invoice in my hands. I hate things being out of my control.

Comment

This has been running off a 1mbit connection since its birth... I get a meg up and a meg down, so it's not too bad... I also get a dedicated block of static IP's to my router. My ISP here has been awesome! I know the admin and head tech by name! It's not a big corporation that you can't deal with, it's a local outfit... Gotta love the small business! VERY little downtime... That's the only part of my web servers I have no control over (for obvious reasons)... A few years ago, lightning blew up one of the servers, but that was about it... Damn lightning came right thru the $1200.00 APC UPS (which is SUPPOSED to stop that crap), fried it, and one of the two servers in that black case. When that happened, I yanked the old BP6's and upgraded to VP6's... Now all my VP6's are retired... Where does the damn time go?!?
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

That is a very respectable connection. What flavor is it? I assume it is a T1 or DSL.

In greece you are lucky to get a DSL connection depending on where you live because of the copper or optical cables in the street. Everything else is available : T1, ISDN PRA whatever dedicated connection you want but you have to pay $$$$ to get it.

There is a great research network backbones of 2.5gb connecting the universities at 1-2.5gb and links connecting the ISPs with 1gb connections. External links are getting better, my isp is connected with 2x622mb connections to global networks. Used to be 400mb.

The problem is the telephone company OTE. There is only one and it owns all the cables. A lot of the cables are optical from the 1980s. They have to install mini dslams in the street to allow DSL over optic cables. The problem is that they prefer the consumers to be connected with ISDN because the revenue for them is more than DSL. Then you have the fact that the telephone company is in a bad finanical position and spent huge money on the olympics.

Anyway life is great here otherwise, the only problem really is the internet connections. So dont complain, you guys are spoilt in the States in that respect.

I dig what you are saying about dealing with small companies. I was looking for a hosting solution and luckily one of my friends who now has a great software development company in the uk http://www.multidmedia.com/ had already had a lot of experience and done a lot of research in hosting solutions. Any major hosting company i suggested he had a story to explain why they were no good. So i settled on his choice http://www.flump.net which is based in the uk and there are only about 5 people working there so you can speak direct with someone who will personally make the changes you require.

I am dissappointed to hear of your APC problem. I guess you read on my site how I like APC. Did you make a claim to APC for the equipment replacement. I would be interested to know if they really honor those kind of claims. I am now buying only APC, I had installed a lot of MERLIN-GERIN UPS units in the 90s they were more available those days and it is a major company. I have seen each unit commit suicide one by one out of warranty after power spikes. Threw out 12 500va from the store room the other day. Never could figure out the problem component, everything was looking fine including the capacitors. The only units which have survived 10 years are some Patriot and APC. The power here can be a bit ugly sometimes. I will do a feature one day on my site using the smart-ups graphs.

I had a client who was living out in the middle of nowhere and he would blow a modem (US Robotics 56k PCI) each time there was a lightning storm. Was convinced i was selling him crap modems. The computer would not boot with the modem in the PCI slot. I think i still have one and will post a photo. One of the small chips is split down the middle. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
          X