I'm slowly building a new rig.
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

Re: For those that swear by KZG...

Yes, it's good.

Comment

It's so-so.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
          ^ You are fortunate that those KZGs have not failed yet after all that time, though it's possible they have since they can easily fail without any indication in terms of sensory (and your computer may not POST if you reboot...).
          *snip*
          Not surprised they failed, the VRM circuit is one of the most stressful parts of the motherboard (if not the most).
          At least mine aren't in the VRM (it has Nichicon for the CPU and NB power and Rubycon for the SB power). The KZG seems to be powering the onboard NIC and such.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            It's so-so.

7 stand off holes in motherboard don't fit any ATX case, and you failed to spot it.
            http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

The motherboard will fit in any decent case, and that antec (if you have the antec) is one. It's a standard ATX motherboard and the location of the holes are standard according to ATX, so you have a hole for a standoff for that 7th motherboard hole.

The case has screw holes for several motherboard styles. You take the motherboard standoffs (the gold things) and you put them in the proper holes on the case, then you install the motherboard.

Read the manual :

See page 6, it says the case comes with 9 of those standoffs, 4 are preinstalled but removable

The motherboard SHOULD NOT have any traces or contacts in the spots where you usually have a standoff for the ATX standard, if you have a standoff touching something on the board, that standoff is in the wrong place. But just don't put a standoff if there's no need for one.

Anyway, we've been going in this thread for a page or so already, and it has nothing to do with the KZG series capacitors. I will suggest to the mods to split the off topic posts into another thread.
              Last edited by mariushm; 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

^
                Most cases don't have a standoff for that 7th hole (closest to the front). It's not a problem, though. Just leave the screw out. The other 6 screws are fine.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Here's a shot of my Asus A7N8X board. I bought it new in the box about two years ago. It suddenly died about 3 months ago. Inspection revealed that seven of the eight 3300 ufd KZG capacitors were buldging. The other capacitors on the board are OST RLX except for two Rubycon MBZ's, all of which look OK. I recently bought a used A7N8X that has MBZ's instead of the KZG's. Otherwise it's the same. It seems to work OK. I can't find any date code on the board or its box that might indicate when Asus changed vendors.

Comment

Just repalce with some verified caps and will be as new.
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

And if you don't want to be doing it again, replace the OST too

Comment

Originally posted by BillV View Post
                        Here's a shot of my Asus A7N8X board. I bought it new in the box about two years ago. It suddenly died about 3 months ago. Inspection revealed that seven of the eight 3300 ufd KZG capacitors were buldging. The other capacitors on the board are OST RLX except for two Rubycon MBZ's, all of which look OK. I recently bought a used A7N8X that has MBZ's instead of the KZG's. Otherwise it's the same. It seems to work OK. I can't find any date code on the board or its box that might indicate when Asus changed vendors.
                        Looks like a 2004 and I had a feeling that it was likely a 2004 when I saw a sticker said that the board was manufactured in China.

2004 A7N8Xs are usually China and have KZGs.

2002s and 2003s are more likely to be manufactured in good ol' ROC.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                        X