Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help identifying value of this bad SMD cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help identifying value of this bad SMD cap.

most strokes are from a blood-clot.
    so a couple of 1000mg of aspirin is probably a good idea.

Comment

errr there are two types of stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA) and haemorrhagic stroke. TIAs are from blood clots blocking off blood flow to a part of the brain while a haemorrhagic stroke is from bleeding in the brain tissue which can sometimes be caused by a ruptured aneurysm.

while blood thinners like aspirin and statin work in preventing both types of stroke; it thins the blood preventing clots from forming and decreases pressure in aneurysms preventing them from rupturing; but if the aneurysm ruptures anyway due to a violent blow like being beaten in the head or getting in a car accident, the thin blood will actually just worsen/accelerate the bleeding, killing u faster.

u also have no way of knowing if someone has a TIA or HS unless u have professional brain scanning equipment which most people wont have in their house. while the usa may have the good samaritan law, u must also be careful what medicine u give to a patient as medicine, if given wrongly becomes poison.

in the rare chance that it is a HS, giving blood thinners after the attack has occured will just worsen the bleeding. u also shouldnt give the patient anything unless u are a qualified paramedic and know what u are doing. giving the wrong medicine to the patient may interfere with and/or cancel out the effects of the doctor's medicine later on in the hospital, leaving the doctor scratching his head why his medicine doesnt work because u cancelled it out prior!

Comment

yes, but aspartic acid and statin's also screw with most medicin's - so it's a minefield anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          errr there are two types of stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA) and haemorrhagic stroke. TIAs are from blood clots blocking off blood flow to a part of the brain while a haemorrhagic stroke is from bleeding in the brain tissue which can sometimes be caused by a ruptured aneurysm.

while blood thinners like aspirin and statin work in preventing both types of stroke; it thins the blood preventing clots from forming and decreases pressure in aneurysms preventing them from rupturing; but if the aneurysm ruptures anyway due to a violent blow like being beaten in the head or getting in a car accident, the thin blood will actually just worsen/accelerate the bleeding, killing u faster.

u also have no way of knowing if someone has a TIA or HS unless u have professional brain scanning equipment which most people wont have in their house. while the usa may have the good samaritan law, u must also be careful what medicine u give to a patient as medicine, if given wrongly becomes poison.

in the rare chance that it is a HS, giving blood thinners after the attack has occured will just worsen the bleeding. u also shouldnt give the patient anything unless u are a qualified paramedic and know what u are doing. giving the wrong medicine to the patient may interfere with and/or cancel out the effects of the doctor's medicine later on in the hospital, leaving the doctor scratching his head why his medicine doesnt work because u cancelled it out prior!
          Yeah, I heard that they could be caused by a clot or by a rupture, like you explained. So for a stroke, just get them to the hospital as soon as possible. With heart attacks though, we're still supposed to give them Aspirin though, right? Because of its blood thinning properties...just make sure we tell the doctors that we gave it to them. Or should we not give them anything for that as well?
          -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

yes its okay for heart attack patients. and yes, its generally a good practice to tell the paramedics and doctors what medicine if any, u gave to the patient or the patient himself took, before the paramedics got there or before he reached the hospital (if sending the patient to the hospital yourself without calling the ambulance).

Comment

yes its okay for heart attack patients. and yes, its generally a good practice to tell the paramedics and doctors what medicine if any, u gave to the patient or the patient himself took, before the paramedics got there or before he reached the hospital (if sending the patient to the hospital yourself without calling the ambulance).
              I keep a piece of paper in my wallet that says stuff like, Hello! My name is Ken Swarthout. I live at 3591 College Avenue, Corning, NY 14830. My wife's name is Jessica Swarthout, her cell phone number is <blah>, her work number is <blah> and our house number is <blah>. If she cannot be reached, my parents number is <blah>. I am currently taking <list of medication, how much, how often a day> and <list of vitamins>. I sometimes have a problem with my sugar and when it gets really low, I get confused and don't know where I am! Usually something sweet fixes this though! I have <blah> for insurance. My insurance number is <blah>.

That way, if I ever get hurt and can't talk, they got it. I just wonder if people get hurt and they can't talk, do paramedics usually look in people's wallets?

Comment

usually, people with medical problems that make them lose consciousness, e.g. epilepsy, diabetes, typically wear a medical bracelet explaining their condition and drug allergies. people with life threatening drug allergy reactions may also chose to wear a medical bracelet saying they are allergic to that drug. this is immensely useful for healthcare workers.

paramedics only look in people's wallets if there is a compelling medical reason to. (a wallet is a personal item and depending on the jurisdiction or country, there can be differing ideas about paramedics going through an unconscious person's wallet! it also depends on and if there are laws in the state empowering paramedics to search through a person's belongings for medical info.) e.g. they need to look for or know certain additional background info about the patient's medical history to remove doubt to avoid misassessment or if they need to administer medicine, they need to take reasonable measures to make sure the patient isnt allergic to what they are about to give!

"because the patient is unconscious or cant talk" is no longer recognised as an acceptable excuse if u trigger a drug allergy reaction in a patient and worse if the patient has a fatal allergic reaction, that can be seen as manslaughter by furious relatives. so they gotta "take reasonable measures" as a form of ass cover.
                Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 12-25-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

usually, people with medical problems that make them lose consciousness, e.g. epilepsy, diabetes, typically wear a medical bracelet explaining their condition and drug allergies. people with life threatening drug allergy reactions may also chose to wear a medical bracelet saying they are allergic to that drug. this is immensely useful for healthcare workers.

paramedics only look in people's wallets if there is a compelling medical reason to. (a wallet is a personal item and depending on the jurisdiction or country, there can be differing ideas about paramedics going through an unconscious person's wallet! it also depends on and if there are laws in the state empowering paramedics to search through a person's belongings for medical info.) e.g. they need to look for or know certain additional background info about the patient's medical history to remove doubt to avoid misassessment or if they need to administer medicine, they need to take reasonable measures to make sure the patient isnt allergic to what they are about to give!

"because the patient is unconscious or cant talk" is no longer recognised as an acceptable excuse if u trigger a drug allergy reaction in a patient and worse if the patient has a fatal allergic reaction, that can be seen as manslaughter by furious relatives. so they gotta "take reasonable measures" as a form of ass cover.
                  That's insane! I would want the paramedics to go through my shit to see if there's any clues to what's wrong with me and try whatever they can without fear of being prosecuted for trying to save my life. I know there's always a chance something can go wrong. But they're trained professionals and I'd think if something does go wrong, they'd have stuff to try and make it right. Does that Narcan counteract more than just opiates?

I thought it'd be nice to make a cell phone app or something that has all your medications on it, when they were filled, were they're filled at, medical history, doctors you see, surgeries, phone numbers for emergency contacts and doctor offices, etc on it. And then try to implement something where paramedics could check for the cell phone apps or something to see if they have that info. Maybe that could save some lives.

Comment

Working...
                  X