Epox 9NPA+ Ultra - bad caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epox 9NPA+ Ultra - bad caps?

Hey all, new here but I believe I've got a capacitor problem. Basically, my Epox 9NPA+ Ultra motherboard has been giving me some trouble over the last year or so. Basically, the only way I can turn it on is to flip the switch on the PSU off for 10 seconds, turn it on, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button. Usually this works, sometimes the fans spin up for a second and it goes off or I get nothing at all. Also, I can't put the computer into sleep mode or it will just turn off. Just taking the side panel off, I can't see any caps that look terrible or anything, and I don't really know what I'm looking for unless they're like bulging or something. Anyone happen to know what I should be looking for, more specifically where a capacitor doing these things would be located on this board?

Thanks!

Re: Epox 9NPA+ Ultra - bad caps?

The next thing I would check is the power supply - leaking or bulging caps there would cause problems. If you have a spare PSU you know works, try that, because you have to take the top off (and void the warranty) to check the caps inside it. Pictures help!

Good luck!

Comment

I tried using a good PSU, no difference. Also built another computer for a friend with the same motherboard and it has the same symptoms (except that he has more money than me so he just threw it away and got another one).

Comment

hey i have one in my room. it has the symptom like yours. usually when it refuse to power on, the leds on keyboard were blinking like crazy.. i'll check what's wrong later.
        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hmmmm, I assume you haven't taken a look at it yet?

Comment

When you try to turn it on, does the LED code display on the board do anything?? I'm going from memory here, but IIRC, the 9NPA series has a two digit LED post code reader built in.. I've got one, though i'd have to dig it out of storage, but it worked fine when i put it up.. I forget what cap types it had though...

Comment

@ar1stotl3, ya.. i'm sorry. my house was destroyed by a strong earth quake several days ago, but the system was tested for several days before, and the problem was gone. here what i did :
                - removing one dim of ram, so it was run in single channel mode
                - replacing the non-recapped silverstone 400W PSU, with the recapped one.

the pc was smashed after that, but i think the mobo is allright. 9npa uses all jap caps, so it's hard to tell if it's caused by bad/failed caps or not.
                days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                  @ar1stotl3, ya.. i'm sorry. my house was destroyed by a strong earth quake several days ago, but the system was tested for several days before, and the problem was gone. here what i did :
                  - removing one dim of ram, so it was run in single channel mode
                  - replacing the non-recapped silverstone 400W PSU, with the recapped one.

the pc was smashed after that, but i think the mobo is allright. 9npa uses all jap caps, so it's hard to tell if it's caused by bad/failed caps or not.
                  Damn, that sucks. Like completely leveled, or just made a mess on the inside?

Comment

Working...
                  X