Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Tantalum Cap on PoV 260 GTX

Hi all!

I've got a problem with my graphics card Point of View 260 GTX EXO. On the desktop it runs fine but as soon as I run some 3D stuff the screen turns black after a few seconds and it smells. But no smoke though.. So I turn off the PC very quick by holding the power button. After some tries I found the smell comes from my graphics card.

On the cards backside I found one tantalum cap turned brown. The other components on the backside and under the heatsink look ok I think. Could he be the bad guy?

I did some research on the web and found that it is a 2.5V 330 uF KEMET Cap.
    this one

My local electronics retailer only has sanyo POSCAP caps starting with 4V 330 uF.. Package and size is the same and they have lower ESR and higher ripple resistance. So does it matter if I take a 4V cap instead of a 2.5V cap?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Bad Tantalum Cap on PoV 260 GTX

Nice catch!! You can use low ESR electroytic there laid flat if there's room.

Tantalum caps tend to fail shorted.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The new cap arrived today.. After soldering the cap the 3D mode works again good as new! Still needs some cleanup though..

Greetz squisher
      Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
        X