bad cap manufacturers - please post yours here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bad cap manufacturers - please post yours here

I know I'm gonna get flogged for bumping old threads like this, but I'd like to post some more bad cap brands for you guys to watch out for:

- Asiacon (found in some Hipro PSUs)
    - Chang (found in a Deer-made PSU)
    - Scatronics (found in the power supply of some old no-name speakers)
    The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

Originally posted by UraBahn
      - Scatronics (found in the power supply of some old no-name speakers)
      What an unfortunate choice of brand name! With a name like Scatronics it's hard to imagine them not being crap caps.

Comment

I have a couple of Shatcaps,are they any good?
        They came out of my Peasoshitty PSU, and I'm sure this Neverdidruntight computer needs more juice.
        Jim

Comment

nichicon (Black with grey stripe, 10mm * 25 mm)
          6,3v3300uF

HM(M)
          105°C
          H0252

Comment

D.S (maybe it should be B.S )

Anyone know this logo?

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
              D.S (maybe it should be B.S )
              i have seen quite a few bad ones.
              just fixed a 1 year old sbc that was unstable.
              no bulging/leakage but open
              Last edited by willawake; 01-12-2007, 07:42 AM. Reason: removed quoted pics

Comment

Here's a list of all caps I've seen fail in the applications they're designed for - i.e. not ones that I've deliberately vented or disassembled . In order I've seen them, they are:

Panasonic FC - yes, even good caps can be 'bad' on very rare occasions. The FC bulged, and caused the VCR it was in to not stay powered up for more than 1 second!

GSC - a whole load of bulged/vented caps inside a work PC that kept on rebooting itself. Found many more vented GSCs inside other PCs at work (of the same exact design), yet these remained stable!

Tayeh - a couple of popped caps inside my P3 machine at home. Machine is still stable, oddly enough!

Fuhjyyu - found a bulged one inside a Suntek PSU; it caused the PC it was in to constantly reboot and never get past the POST.
                Fuhjyyu is also the subject of my 'artificial venting' programme, whereby I pop caps by connecting them up backwards to double their rated voltage, but we won't go into that

Perhaps we should have a thread where you post photos of caps where you can't see the logo/make (without removing it), and others can identify it? I have a few like that in my server - but the design of the board is such that I can't see the logo without desoldering the cap
                You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Some Pics from a Scott DVD player, featuring a bunch of Rubysun caps and SAmwha main filter cap.
                  How about Samwah? Crap or something wich can surive? My digital SAt box is featuring only Smawha.....it just hangs sometimes, this means the picture freezes a few sec but audio is not afeckted.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by gonzo0815; 01-12-2007, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Rubysun is crap like Rulycon. Samwha should be OK.

Comment

Add KYS (seen bulging in a DVD player) and KDC (seen on http://mkk.s20.xrea.com/cap.htm ; seen in a number of Idall DVD players and their clones with bulging capacitors).
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

found 2 bulging capxon 680@200 in primary of agi(hec) 300w psu.
                        slightest power flick would reset the machine.
                        secondary caps looked ok but got replaced anyway.

Comment

I consider HEC as crap mfk, i would not even buy a PSU from this.

Comment

Working...
                          X