Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions and surprising the caps on Intel D865GBF!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions and surprising the caps on Intel D865GBF!!

I got this failed mothbaord a from P4 system 2 days ago, but i have some surprising about the caps on this mothbaord.

1. What is Rubycon MHZ?!! Yes, MHZ, not MCZ!! I never heard this series from Rubycon catalogues till to now, remember this board is 3 years old, surely MHZ is not the latest product.

2. Anybody discover any problem for the size of UCC KZG 820uF 6.3v?!! First, surely it is electrolytic caps, not polymers. Normally, the size of electrolytic caps are equal ratio to the value of uF and voltage of caps, this is true and industry technology standard of caps. Now, anyone can see the height is very tall (more than 20mm), taller than the normal size of 1500uF 6.3v D8x20mm, very fantastic!! Second, i never see this kind of 820uF 6.3v(irregular size) in retail market.

Is it those caps are special made by UCC and Rubycon? Anyone body tell me the above answers?
    Attached Files
    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Re: Questions and surprising the caps on Intel D865GBF!!

My guess is those unusual KZG's are probably a custom order. Intel probably wanted 820uf with the performance and fit of that taller, skinny can but it wasn't in the standard catalog. I don't know if there's any economic benefit to keeping the 6.3v rating on an oversized can. I'd be curious whether the voltage was undermarked just to match the Intel requested spec.

A while back I found some KMG series caps on some boards which also didn't match anything in the catalog. Another custom order I suppose.

Actually, I just tried to look up the KZG series and can't find it documented anywhere on UCC's web site. I know they exist, but they're not listed anywhere I can find. Even the search term 'KZG' on their site has no results.

Comment

According to a UCC tech rep, custom parts are a very large part of UCC's business. KZG series.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I see, thanks PeteS and gdement.

How about MHZ? Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
          I see, thanks PeteS and gdement.

How about MHZ? Anyone know?
          I've never heard of that one. Fake? God, I hope not (bad news for Intel). Searches returned no results, even google...

What did you find wrong with the board?
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
            I've never heard of that one. Fake? God, I hope not (bad news for Intel). Searches returned no results, even google...

What did you find wrong with the board?
            No idea for fake or not, i bought this original (box) mobo from a shop locally 3 years ago. The board is no boot now, debug card is showing and stop at "D5". I will try to repair it soon.
            Last edited by Big Pope; 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM.

Comment

No idea for fake or not, i bought this original (box) mobo from a shop locally 3 years ago. The board is no boot now, debug card is showing and stop at "D5". I will try to repair it soon.
              Well that's a good sign at least. The boards that depress me are the ones that show no code activity at all.

Comment

Anybody discover any problem for the size of UCC KZG 820uF 6.3v?!!
                rubycon have same kind of thing with 820uf 6.3 MCZ. i have them on my board.
                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
                  Well that's a good sign at least. The boards that depress me are the ones that show no code activity at all.
                  Which debug card you are using? There is may cheap debug can't show any code at all. My debug card never not show no code activity till to now. I like my debug card very much, because reliable with high compatibility.
                  Last edited by Big Pope; 03-16-2007, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Which debug card you are using? There is may cheap debug can't show any code at all. My debug card never not show no code activity till to now. I like my debug card very much, because reliable with high compatibility.
                    Elston brand, I don't know what the model is called. This is it:
                    http://shopv2.elstonsystems.com/prod...843da7111f60ab

I don't think it's a compatibility problem, because it has always worked with good boards. But some dead boards don't give any codes because they aren't even working well enough to run the BIOS. I'll just get an ugly "FF" and that's it.

These debug cards are nice for getting a clue, even if I can't always solve it. If a board shows some codes I know it has a good chance of being revived. I've also found a couple boards with a stuck RST line, but I don't know how to fix that.

Comment

Luckly, i replaced the Smart I/O from a failed mothbaord, now it works again, great!!

I am using this EPOX debug card, it never show without any display on LED. This type of debug card was stopped production for a long time, hard to find it on market now.

This debug card can forward each code and backward each code when it LED stopped, very nice.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Big Pope; 03-21-2007, 05:05 AM.

Comment

thats not the first intel mobo i have seen with a dead i/o chip.
                        must not be well protected.
                        see a lot of intel boards killed by lightning thru the lan.

Comment

Dead super i/o chips are very common. I guess that it's caused by bad PSUs.

Comment

Luckly, i replaced the Smart I/O from a failed mothbaord, now it works again, great!!
                            Could we see some up close pictures of that? That's not an easy task, some pics would be great!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

I have a dead D865GBF with exactly the same indicators: Rubycon MHZ 2200/10v with a dented can near the Southbridge, 5 x 820/6.3/8mm Nichicon HN (none bulging), the SMsC Super I/O chip has been previously professionally replaced by Intel or a subcontracted rework outfit. The Green LED glows when the PSU is connected to it, but the fan does not spin and the board does not power up when the power button pins are momentarily shorted. The BIOS Config jumper was missing, but it made no difference anyway - it fails to power up at any setting. I don't think there's any point in recapping this one - it looks like a goner.

I have seen other working D865GBFs in which the 2200/10 cap near the Southbridge is a Nichicon HM. Perhaps an ECO was made to substitute the HM with the MHZ in view of the earlier problems with the HM - which gives the clue that the specs of the MHZ must be similar to or better than the HM.

Comment

Working...
                              X