HM HN, Dates for the bad boys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HM HN, Dates for the bad boys?

My Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G motherboard has Nichicon HM caps as well.
    It's a 2004 model board and still until today in 2008 (8-14 hours a day), I haven't experienced any problems with the Nichicon HM caps on that motherboard.... maybe I am just lucky?

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I want to thank all you folks for participating in my quest for data.

Maybe no one else cares much but I'd like to know which dates of these are 'auto yankers' and which are 'probably' okay to leave alone.

stevo1210
      2004 is a critical year. That's the year Nichicon supposedly fixed the problem.
      Next time you are in that case anyway for maintenance or whatever please post the whole date code for those. - Thanks!

Just rambling on now (as I do).
      -
      I have two Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK (Rev 2.0).
      Is interesting because they aren't far apart production wise but they have completely different caps. (Neither have been reworked.)
      ~~
      Main filter cap (single by the 2x2 power plug)
      -- KZG -vs- HM (0523) on board #2.
      VRM input
      -- Sanyo WG -vs- MBZ
      VRM output
      -- KZG -vs- MBZ
      General scattered caps
      -- MBZ vs HM (0524)

Board #2 is a good example of why finding out good-vs-bad dates helps (all of us.).
      - Because: If 2005 HM are okay (as I think they are) then there are 19 less caps I need to replace and that particular board doesn't have to go under the iron at all.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Presumably, Gigabyte believes that board #2 is an upgrade - which is a reasonable inference, given that VRM output has changed from KZG to MBZ. However, they seem to be using HMs mainly for general-purpose bypass, not for heavy-duty VRM use in board #2. At any rate, even the bad HM/HNs rarely failed in light-duty bypass use - which would seem to suggest that recap of board #2 is superfluous, regardless of the date codes on the HMs.

Comment

Nah,, Maybe, but I don't think so:
          The VRM out caps are 1500uF 6.3v. KZG and MBZ are rated the same in that size.
          I think they just source caps where ever they can that day. (So to speak.)
          Seen similar from other MoBo manufacturers and PSU's too for that matter.
          I have two identical MSI boards with different VRM caps.
          (In fact they are KZG vs MBZ also.)
          Pretty often I see posts by someone that has some other board I have (or recorded) and their's has different caps.
          Is not really unusual.

I'm guessing this:
          I think the first 4 digits of a Gigabyte Serial Number are the date code.
          - On these two boards the dates on the caps make that seem possible.
          ---- Can anyone confirm or disprove that?

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            stevo1210
            2004 is a critical year. That's the year Nichicon supposedly fixed the problem.
            Next time you are in that case anyway for maintenance or whatever please post the whole date code for those. - Thanks!
            These are photos from a few weeks ago, last time that I opened it up to clean out the dust bunnies and changed the CPU cooler. (Sorry for the bad image).... If anyone has noticed, I have edited out my motherboard's serial number.

As you can see, the date code is H0422, which I think means made in 2004 in week 22??
            So far I have seen no bulging or leaking. My computer is as stable as rock even when overclocked from 3GHz (Prescott) to 3.4GHz.... I'm just happy that my Delta PSU can keep up to all of this.

And to add to that, this was my brothers old PC in which he used to play games (such as WoW) everyday. The previous owner before my brother (my uncle) used this PC for video editing and had it on almost 24 hours a day.

The idle temperature of the PC is about 55-60c (Before I replaced the cooler), now with the cooler replaced, it idles at 43c.

Thanks.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by stevo1210; 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Thanks Stevo!
              Yes 2004 week 22 is correct.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
                0429 HN:

For what it's worth, I have an Intel board with 3x 1000uF 10V 10mm Nichicon HN(M) caps on it. 1 of the 3 has exploded. They have 0429 date codes on them, but 1 of the good ones I can't actually read.

The one that exploded is next to the top PCI-ex slot (where a video card would be). I haven't actually confirmed what it's connected to though.
                I was recapping this board today, and can give more accurate information:

All 3 caps are HN A0429 1000uF 10v 10mm. There were actually 2 of them failing. The one that exploded had high ESR, but another of the caps that I previously called good (near the RAM) was actually bulging. It still reads good ESR. The 3rd cap seems fine both in ESR and visually.

The one that exploded could have been buried under a video card, but the board has onboard video so most likely there wasn't a card there. Owner only had 2x256MB RAM so I don't think he was an upgrader.

I'm pretty sure the motherboard is an Intel D915GAG - but the board model isn't actually printed on it. It has the name "Augsburg" on the BIOS sticker. I found data on the board at Gateway's site, and that fits my memory of what computer the guy said it came from. If only it would POST I'd know for sure.

My date code and stevo's start with different letters, which might be significant. My bad HN's are A0429, his good HM's are H0422. I wonder if that letter is the plant code.

Comment

Thank you for helping!

It's an Intel board made for OEMs.
                  D915GAG or D915GAGL - (I think the L means onboard LAN.)
                  Gateway(for sure) and eMachines(I think) used them.

http://www.everestcomputers.ro/produ...oducts_id=1817

--

I think the A and H are codes for the fab facility they were made at but that's totally a guess on my part.
                  Possibly the code indicates the facility and which shift.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...102175nv.shtml

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

I'm looking at a bad Nichicon HM cap I just found lying around. I don't remember what board it came from, but the date code is only H0142, so that's older than the 2002-2004 range normally talked about as defective.
                      It's a 3300uF 6.3v, bulged with crusty orange leakage all over the top of it.

I also have a few Dell GX260 boards with good Nichicons all over them. I'll have to look at their dates sometime.

Comment

Thank you gdement.

Including your input my bean counting for 2001 has thus far found bad:
                        HM-H0135
                        HM-H0140
                        HM-H0142
                        HM-H0146
                        HM-H0147
                        I've seen no bad HN with 2001 codes.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Nothing unexpected here, but some more bad Nichicon HN's (taken from Dell GX270):

H0343 x1 1500uF 6.3v
                          H0351 x3 1800uF 16v

Comment

A GX270 owner reported me this date for a brunch of bulged 1500uF 6.3 V HNs: H0325, so 25th week of 2003.

Zandrax
                            Have an happy life.

Comment

A0332 x1 680uF 10v HM 8mm

Detailed:
                              GX270 w/ "Vesuvius" motherboard.
                              Single Bulged HM - 680uF 10v 8mm - A0332 - next to the 2x2 pin "P4 Plug".
                              There are other 8mm HM on the board w/~same date but none bloated.
                              Has MCZ in Vcore with date codes one week later so this one isn't a rebuilt unit.
                              Has Panny FJ for the 16v caps.

Have another ~4 mos newer GX270 with same board and cap arrangement except in the exact position where the bulged HM is there is an MBZ (not bloated).
                              There is only one MBZ in it and where the non-bloated 8mm HM are in the first system are also HM in the second.
                              Date codes suggest the MBZ is original.

Should have 3 more of these to look at next week.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

That's the first bloated "A" date code I can remember.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Here is a few more dates, all caps are Nichicon HM 1500uF 10v 10x16mm, datecodes start with the letter "H"

0251; 13x bad capacitors on industrial PC
                                  0143; 11x bad capacitors on industrial PC

What was interesting with the second system was that two capacitors where still ok, see picture
                                  Those two had a datecode of 0213 and not 0143 like the rest!

There was also another industrial PC where all capacitors I could see where ok, they had a datecode of 0213
                                  These three systems run 24/7 and are over 5 years old

Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-09-2009, 04:56 AM.
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Also interesting that caps made 22 weeks apart ended up on the same board.

Nichicon's announcement about the problem suggested that only some batches were affected but they didn't elaborate so there is no way for us to know.
                                    [The assumption is only one/some shifts or one/some facilities made the mistake.]

Possibly their markings don't give any way to know which batches without cross-referencing with factory records [Like: "On xx day crew zz made the HM's" - or something similar.] so putting out more info would have been useless to us anyway.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

seimens industrial mobo?
                                      just had one with 04 dates on hm.

Comment

kc8adu; yea, I posted about it here; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=nichicon

PCBONEZ; maybe they ran out of the batch they had on this mobo so they had to change in the middle, I dunno...

Anyway, I bought a decent multimeter so I can also measure capacitance, a Fluke 113
                                        What was interesting was that those two caps above that have not bulged and have good ESR indeed also do have good capacitance at ca 1800uF (they are rated at 1500uF)
                                        Quite an achievement since all the others had failed...

Anyway, what I found really strange was that the caps that had failed had very high capacitance, many near 3000uF and some way over that too
                                        What's up with that? I thought leaking cap=poor ESR and poor capacitance?

I did make sure to measure some brand new Samxon, Rubycon and Sanyo caps to verify the meter works and indeed it does, measured values very close to expected...

As a second note I measured the 1x failed cap in this router; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7475
                                        The 1000uF rated failed cap had only 370uF left, and it's ESR was 3.0...
                                        The rest (not bulging) had both good ESR and capacitance

Has the overfilling of the electrolyte in the HM / HN caps given them much higher capacitance or what is the deal?
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

tried to attach the .pdf explaining this.its a few kb too big.
                                          google 2004_Electrolyte_Hillman-Helmold.pdf
                                          Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                          kc8adu; yea, I posted about it here; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=nichicon

PCBONEZ; maybe they ran out of the batch they had on this mobo so they had to change in the middle, I dunno...

Anyway, I bought a decent multimeter so I can also measure capacitance, a Fluke 113
                                          What was interesting was that those two caps above that have not bulged and have good ESR indeed also do have good capacitance at ca 1800uF (they are rated at 1500uF)
                                          Quite an achievement since all the others had failed...

Anyway, what I found really strange was that the caps that had failed had very high capacitance, many near 3000uF and some way over that too
                                          What's up with that? I thought leaking cap=poor ESR and poor capacitance?

I did make sure to measure some brand new Samxon, Rubycon and Sanyo caps to verify the meter works and indeed it does, measured values very close to expected...

As a second note I measured the 1x failed cap in this router; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7475
                                          The 1000uF rated failed cap had only 370uF left, and it's ESR was 3.0...
                                          The rest (not bulging) had both good ESR and capacitance

Has the overfilling of the electrolyte in the HM / HN caps given them much higher capacitance or what is the deal?
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-31-2015, 03:04 PM. Reason: Attached PDF

Comment

Working...
                                          X