HM HN, Dates for the bad boys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HM HN, Dates for the bad boys?

Thank you kc8adu, that was a very interesting read!

So afterall my readings where very much in line with what to expect for HM/HN, very interesting!
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

On a Palit 8400GS Super video card, I saw a 1500uF 6.3V Nichicon HN series on it, made on the 13th week of 2009. Should that unit be OK?
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

2009 is fine.
        Bad ones were 2001 thru 2004.
        -
        The Hillman-Helmold study doesn't apply to the HM/HN problem.
        It DOES explain why caps made with CH and TW sourced materials are crap and that's why you hear 'use Japanese caps' so much.
        -
        The study was done by CALCE out of the University of Maryland.
        There is all sorts of interesting stuff on their site.
        http://www.calce.umd.edu/
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

i know this is old and all but i've got 9 nichicon hm series 6.3v 1500uF caps in a 3com 2808 gigabit switch. all the caps are datecoded 0341 and all are bad
          thing lasted 8 years in a no aircon environment on 24x7 somehow

Comment

Thank you.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

I believe the week 22 is NOT correct. H0452, 2200 uF/10 V from Intel D865 PERL, no source of excessive heat nearby (between SB and RAM) and it is very nastly bulged as all the bad HNs did/do.

Just for case removing also golden 820 uF/6,3 of H0447 in the CPU VRM. One strange thing, I have had the same board before, also with bad HN's, but there was more of them in the VRM. Is it only my impression or did Intel really use random ratio of Nichicon's HN and Chemi-Con's polymers??
              Last edited by Behemot; 04-09-2012, 05:52 AM.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Here's something interesting:

My Asus A7N266-VM has HMs coded 0310.

But the BIOS is August, 2002.

I hope this don't mean that Nichicon is using Seagate-like date codes, where
                "10254" I think is actually in 2009! (And not 2010 like some people believe)
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Whats the problem? The manufactured the board later yet loaded with old revision of BIOS.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                    Whats the problem? The manufactured the board later yet loaded with old revision of BIOS.
                    The board is OK, no signs of bad caps. (Unless tests that were fine before suddenly fail.)

I just had it sitting. Because it won't let me OC.

"-VM"s especially that generation, prohibit OC'ing.

You must mod the board to OC a "-VM", especially the socket 462s.

It worked fine in 2007, the last time that it was on a lot.

"-X" boards usually allow a fair amount of OC'ing and Vcore changing.
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Just found two HMs, 0227. They measure 4400 uF, seems that part of the problem may be somebody tried to push it too hard

Comment

^ Typical for problematic HM and HNs. The capacitance is actually not that high, but these capacitors develop high internal leakage and will fool an ESR meter.

Comment

Here is my contribution to the topic.

There are two 6.3V, 3300uF Nichicons HM series dated 0432 next to the heatsink on this older Gigabyte S478 board I have, and near VRMs there are three 16V, 1500uF Nichicons HM series also dated 0432. There are no signs of bulging and the board runs perfectly stable. The processor is a P4 at 3.0GHz and its temperature idles around 43 degrees (more when something is run).
                          So, these Nichicons were produced sometimes in the second half of the year 2004. They seem OK after so many years and use. Maybe these have a corrected formula.

On the other hand, I had to replace the 0522 Nichicons on another S478 board (we had a discussion here about that experience in my topic regarding that), so there it is. Datecode 05 failed, whereas datecode 04 still operates fine. I guess it did depend on a particular production line or something, right?
                          Last edited by UserXP; 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UserXP View Post
                            I guess it did depend on a particular production line or something, right?
                            It's possible.

I think this issue also possibly extends to the HZ series.
                            Last week, I dug up some severely bulged 6.3V 2200uF Nichicon HZ from my parts bin. These caps were pulled from various Xbox 360 motherboards, but they were all good at the time I pulled them. That was about a year ago, though.

Now check this out: the Nichicon HZ caps with datecodes H06 and newer (so 2006 and newer) are all fine. However, several of the H05's were bulged. Moreover, last time I used the MicroESR to check another parts bin of mine that also had various HZ caps, most of the 2200uF H05 HZs read 2300-2400 uF and some even higher. But not a single one lower.

Perhaps overfilled like the defective series from 2001-2004? I think so. Maybe not as badly, as Nichicon likely had figured out their mistakes by that time and were probably just "tweaking" their manfacturing process.

For that reason, I don't fully trust Nichicon HM/HN/HZ caps from 2005. If they read higher capacitance, then they may be overfilled.

I still use them, though - mostly for testing or repairing my own (non-critical) equipment.
                            Last edited by momaka; 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

In an electrolytic capacitor, the electrolyte is a conductor. The capacitance depends on the surface area of the plates and the thickness of the dielectric, which is a layer of aluminum oxide on the anode foil. If the capacitance of those HZ caps has increased over time, that means the electrolyte has attacked and thinned the aluminum oxide layer. Not a good thing! That increases the capacitance and decreases the actual maximum voltage the part can handle.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

So, there are indeed various experinces with Nichicons, even the datecodes sometimes do not denote a stable/quality build. Of all those Japanese capacitor manufactureres, I've never read anything bad about Rubycons, they seem to be a very reliable brand.

It is amazing how many motherboards and their brands used these Nichicon series even though there were serious mistakes involved in their production, but MB makers still continued using them. I guess production costs are taken into account here, but it is simply a bad idea to design a solid and quality electronic equipment only to risk its destruction but putting some problematic capacitors on it.

Comment

Originally posted by UserXP View Post
                                  Of all those Japanese capacitor manufactureres, I've never read anything bad about Rubycons, they seem to be a very reliable brand.
                                  Well, if you read around badcaps.net, you will see that Rubycon isn't all problem-free either. In particular, their MCZ series are not very tolerant of high heat and will often bulge. Also, their MBZ series seem to have had a little "oopsie" too. Have a look in this thread:
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=mbz
                                  Despite that, I still consider Rubycon high quality, though.

Now, some may argue that Panasonic is the best as it seems like they haven't had any failures with any series. And while that may as well be true, their series with lowest ESR are FL and FJ. But these aren't quite as low ESR as Nichicon HN/HZ or Rubycon MCZ/MFZ, so that's also to keep something in mind. Also, in my experience, some Panasonic caps (particularly FL) have had very soft rubber bungs on the bottom. Nothing wrong with that until you accidentally heat the cap just a little more when soldering/desoldering. And then the next thing you notice is the cap is leaking electrolyte from the bottom. This happened to me with a few Panasonic FLs I removed from some P4SD motherboards.

Therefore, I don't really consider Nichicon any worse than the above. Sure they did have problems with their 2001-2004 HM and HN series (and possibly HZ?) as well as some from 2005. But outside of that, they have had good history as reliable caps.

Chemicon is the same way too. Though it looks to me that they still haven't (and probably won't) fix their problems with their KZG and KZJ series (and possibly TMZ). But their other series are excellent! So I use Chemicon in repairs quite often too.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt them but considering these reports…got Gigabyge GA-K8NF9 Ultra. Full of HM (or HN? don't remember now) made somewhen in 2005. There was reportedly one bad cap, replaced with some PoS from local store, I replaced it with some used Panasonic (FL IIRC). PSU was bloated, I've recapped it, but it ceased working - replaced with another recapped one. But board keeps behaving strangely - sometimes got 0x0000009c error, it often does not even POST. Different graphics - same behaviour. RAM after 24+ hours in Memtest86+ OK.

I remember that measuring the CPU VRM, all the caps together measured way more than their nominalxnumber of caps is. May be they are leaking? Should I try to replace them? Or just the nForce 4 is dying…

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      I remember that measuring the CPU VRM, all the caps together measured way more than their nominalxnumber of caps is. May be they are leaking? Should I try to replace them?
                                      I can't say for sure. Pull a few and measure them out of circuit. If they aren't too high in capacitance, they are probably okay. If you have the caps, you might as well try and replace all of them. If it fixes your problem, perhaps they were going bad indeed.

Comment

I've tried to artifically heat the NB, it showed same behaviour - most likely bad BGA or die soldering. Will try to heat it with hot air gun and and add a fan on the heatsink, that's all I can do, otherwise it will go to electro-scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                          Well, if you read around badcaps.net, you will see that Rubycon isn't all problem-free either. In particular, their MCZ series are not very tolerant of high heat and will often bulge. Also, their MBZ series seem to have had a little "oopsie" too. Have a look in this thread:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=mbz
                                          LOL, having checked the link, it turned out that I've actually read that Topcat's article before, but it was quite a while ago, so I forgot. Thanks for the reference.
                                          It was probably, like Topcat said, a bad batch or something. I have put MBZ caps on this S478 board of mine, their dates are from 2002 (the 6.3V, 3300uF ones), 2003 (the 16V, 1500uF ones) and 2005 (the 6.3V, 1000uF ones). Here is the board still working flawlessly every day.
                                          No matter how good the electrolytic mixture is, the heat will always be its downfall, I guess. In general, I've never had problems with any of the Rubycons myself, so I still consider them to be highly reliable caps. The problem is that they (and others as well) are very hard to come by in my country.
                                          Last edited by UserXP; 02-15-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X