• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornell Dubilier

How are their caps? Any good?

Re: Cornell Dubilier

O-L-D cap manufacturer. My B&W Philco TV from the 50's had them in it. LOL

Used them for replacements in sets waaaaay back when.

IIRC, a recent perusal of their selections didn't yield anything of interest for PSU's or mobos. Nothing near Panasonic, Nichicon, UCC, etc.

Now, if you need a 56,000uF@10v, 35x40mm cap with a .013 ohm ESR, they have it.

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

I used their Mica lines of caps when I was selling upgrades for the Ramsey FM10 transmitters.

The tuned tank circuit a variable inductor and a capacitor (which set the oscillator frequency i.e. the station) the factory was actually using a ceramic cap. 10% tolerance so sometimes the unit wouldn't even tune in the range specificed because the value was so off.

The transmitters also drifted off frequency with swings in temperature.

The Micas had a 1% tolerance and were very temperature stable.

I've seen their caps in alot of old tube equipment whenever I can I use their micas when doing tube recaps.

Never looked at their lytic line myself. They are probably like Mallory or Sprague just general purpose stuff. I usually need to use Mallory and Sprague caps in tube radios when I need weird values at high voltages . Like 15 uf at 120 volts.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-28-2009, 01:41 AM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

>>I used their Mica lines of caps when I was selling upgrades for the Ramsey FM10 transmitters.<<

Was that their silver-mica line? I seem to remember using them for some TV (mechanical) tuner repairs... WOW! I am dating myself here... LOL

All 3 manufacturers also made/make the 2, 3, and 4 section electrolytics. CDE always seemed to be the least expensive.

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
        X