YACQ - Yet Another Capacitor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YACQ - Yet Another Capacitor Question

Ok, I'm going to be recapping a Biostar M7VKQ board. I've found reasonably close dimensions for all the caps, except 1.

The caps are:
    5 - 3300 μF - 6.3V 10mm X 25mm x 5mm Ost RLX
    3 - 2200 μF - 16V 10mm X 24mm X 5mm Ost RLP
    5 - 1000 μF - 10V 8mm X 14mm X 3.5mm Ost RLG
    6 - 100 μF - 16V 6mm X 6mm 2.5mm Ost RSM
    12 - 22 μF - 25V 5mm X 8mm X 2mm Ost RMH

The 3 2200 μF RLP are 10mm and the 3 of them are right in a row touching each other. So I can't really go for cans with a larger diamater.

The closest capacitance I can find is a 1500 μF Panasonic FC. Specifically:
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...5-ND&x=18&y=18

Is this going to be close enough to try it, or should I just leave these 3 in? They don't appear to be damaged (though I know that doesn't prove anything).

I suppose I could try and solder in the outer 2 at an angle to fit them in, but that seems kind of risky.

Re: YACQ - Yet Another Capacitor Question

You may have to mount the two on the outside leaning out (kind of fanning out from the center cap,) or you can raise them off the motherboard a bit and steal some insulation from some wires.

Comment

I ran into a similar problem with my PSU (waiting on other parts to come in the mail). There were only three caps that vented. Those happen to be the only three that were 2200μF at 6.3v 8mm x 25mm. I sent an e-mail to sales/support @ badcaps.com looking for replacements. I was informed that it was an unusual spec and that it must be 10mm x 25mm. But no, my measurements were correct. But I digress...

The point is, I was able to get 10mm diameter caps to fit. It was a tight fit, but doable. Had it not gone my way, I would have done a "hack job" and used shrink tubing on each lead for insulation. Perhaps you ought to try that as well. I suppose you could heat shrink the cap too, but then you might risk overheating them.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22

TopCat has them in that spec in Ruby PX and Samxon GD.

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. I'll get the Rubys.

Comment

I have a doubt: Rubycon PX are suitable for MOBO?
            As I didn't know this serie I searched the datasheet and what I can understand is that they are general purpose rated at 105ºC.

From datasheet:

Samxon GD 2200uF 10V 10X25 ESR 12mOhm Ripple current 2800mA
            Rubycon PX 2200uF 10V 10X16 ESR ? Ripple current 860mA

I compared the 10V because I don't see Samxon @ 16V.

Am I missing something?

Ciao
            Gianni
            Attached Files
            "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
            H. J. Brown

Comment

GD on BigPope's site: 2200 uF, 16v, 10x25 mm, 0.012 Ω, 2800 mA, 105 °C

On the PX, I was under the impression that TC had them listed for mobo use. Perhaps I am wrong.

I looked at the OST RLP series, which does not list a 10mm, 16v, 2200uF cap, only in 12.5mm. Special order or NLA perhaps? Either way, a 10x20 RLP series cap shows .041Ω & 1220ma.

Perhaps use 2 Panny FM's 16v @ 3300uF here? You'd get the same capacitance and less than 1/2 the ESR of the 3 OST's. i.e.- 3 OST RLP = .013Ω / 2 PAN FM = .006Ω.

Toast
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
              X