Globalscale Sheeva Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Globalscale Sheeva Plug

This device is only a few years old but it started losing it's Ethernet connection intermitently. Just recently it was getting worse and would only stay on line for about a minute before dropping the connection. I thought I'd open her up and see if there was anything obvious.

Surprise surprise it's a flipping CapXon. Bulge at the top said just about everything. The ESR meter tested open circuit! Unfortunately I don't have these in stock and Ebay is a definite no no! All rubbish Chinese makes or silly prices for 'possible' good ones.
    It's going to have to wait till my next order to RS or Farnell's so that I can be sure of getting a decent one.
    Attached Files

Re: Globalscale Sheeva Plug

It looks pretty cheap in there, the first generation was a cheaper PSU. It looks like Sheevaplugs die due to capacitor fails.

Does it even have a mains fuse?

Comment

RS has no minimum order for free delivery

Comment

No mains fuse!!!!

OK on RS too. I'll probably still wait till I need a few more bits which won't be long I'm sure.

Comment

Actually it has got a fuse, one of those tiny ones that looks like a ceramic resistor. Didn't spot it untill I had a closer look.
          Once the main cap was swapped out it wouldn't fire up. After a few power cycles it did burst into life once so I suspected the other caps were probably all shot too. After applying a little warmth to see which cap(s) it was I was greeted with a quiet 'crack' and it was no more! The PWM chip had blown plus a couple of SMD resistors and not worth the effort to fix. The chip is a STK A6053.
          I've bought a 2A wall wart PSU which I'll use instead. Surfing the web shows these PSU's are failing all the time!

Comment

Looks a lot older than a few years old, looks like 2010, by the digits printed on the green PCB. Looks like the usual 4-digit time-of-manufacturing. On the far left photo, on the bottom left of the transformer.
            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-04-2019, 08:52 PM.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
            X