Newbi here... please read about my probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbi here... please read about my probs

Hi all... I'm Sean... and I have a bad board.

that sounded like I was at some AA meeting or something.

anyway.. I have a Gigabyte GA-7VTXH board with some pretty swelled up caps. tops look to be splitting... anyway... I saw a gigabyte GA-7VTXE (?) board listed in the main site earlier. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge about this series of boards being \"notorious\" for this prob. and also a few yeas ago I had a biostar board and another board of unknown make do the same thing. A tech here in town told me it was because of line voltage dropping and the board trying to overcompensate for it by drawing more current ... therby causing the caps to pop. Sounded reasonable at the time. I then invested in a UPS thinking the battery would help stabilize the voltage and provide some extra spike protection. Well my happy lil GA-7 board one morning was belly up along with a dead Pwr supply. I replaced the supply. but still doa.. then I noticed the swelled caps. I replaced the board with another gigabyte board GA-7VA it seems to be serving me well. I wonder if I can expect it to fry on me... and if I can expect to be able to repair the older GA-7VTXH board so I could use it in a computer that has a really crappy ECS board. any help and info from you smart guys (and gals if you are here) would be appreciated. BTW this site and forum are really great and full of super info... THANKS!!

and thanks in advance for any help that can be steered my way

IctSean

GigaBYTE... HEH...

Actually, I can't knock good 'ol Gigabyte... I've seen far more Abit's than Gigabytes... Although, I have seen more than my share of Gigabyte boards with cooked caps...

First and foremost, get a good quality power supply!! That will eliminate TONS of problems!! In some cases it can help prevent good quality caps from going bad, but if you have the low-quality caps to begin with (which gigabyte notoriously uses), they will fail all the same regardless of power conditions. A flaky PSU could possibly have just sped up the inevitable failure.

What your tech friend told you is only partially true... If a device is starved for voltage, it will draw more current... However, a PC is a bit more finicky, and will not run stable under those kinds of conditions. If it were starved for power, it would have been unstable LONG before the caps ever popped.

Look at the capacitors on your old board and then look at the capacitors on the new board... Take notice to the name brand on them. If they both have caps made by the same manufactuer, your chances are more than 100% likely they will fail!! Even if they dont swell and burst, you will be faced with this again.

If you want, I would gladly recap your defective board(s) for you, just let me know. Feel free to shoot me an email.

Ohh, and welcome to the forum!

TC
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Just a FYI....

HSING Tech OEM's for; PCChips, PC100, ECS, Amptron, Protac, Aristo, Minstaple, Eurone, Matsonic, Snogard, Abit & Shuttle, and have apparently purchased Soyo.

Most if not all of these boards may have the bad caps on them...Hsing is the #2 board maker in the world capacity wise, they order parts in the 10,000+ lots or higher....

MD
      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Welcome aboard there Sean.

I put a vote in for getting a good PS. I've been down that long road. :roll:

This is a good place to come tell your problems. Even if they're not computer related. We getting pretty good at helping others get through all kinds of problems. We have to deal with TC all the time.

Come on TC....you KNEW that was coming.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

11 out of 11 7VTXH boards...

I have had 11 of 11 GA-7VTHX have failed caps and need to be fixed. The worst condition caps seem to be the four 3300uF 6.3V caps near the processors, but I have seen the 1200uF 6.3V caps in the same area bad, as well.

Comment

Working...
          X