ASUS ROG G751J not turning on, missing 3VSUS_ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS ROG G751J not turning on, missing 3VSUS_ON

Hello everyone. I have a G751JY laptop that has 2 problems that i think are related.

Problem #1:
    The laptop takes 20-25s to post, after that though it works flawlessly.

Problem #2:
    Sometimes the laptop wont turn on, no reaction to the power switch until it's fully drained (which also resets bios config).
    I've checked the schematics and boardview and i've traced the problem to what i think is the root cause of this issue.
    Haven't completely figured out when exactly this happens, but i've got one scenario pinned down where i can reproduce it every time.
    1. Turn on the laptop,
    2. Wait for it to post and enter bios
    3. When it's in the bios unplug the AC (The battery is dead/removed)
    4. When replugging the AC the IT8585VG (U3001) doesn't have 3.3V on the EC_GPF1 net

I'm also attaching the boardview.

The IT8585VG datasheet is nowhere to be found, so i'm not really sure what i can do from here. I've read conflicting information regarding the chip needing to be programmed and not.
    On the board there is also a Winbond W25X40CLZPIG which according to the information i've found should hold the EC firmware.

Any help with solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: ASUS ROG G751J not turning on, missing 3VSUS_ON

Problem #1 is due to dirty me region. Clean the me region and try again. If you dont know how to do it, then post your original backup bios in bios section and ask for clean me.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
      Problem #1 is due to dirty me region. Clean the me region and try again. If you dont know how to do it, then post your original backup bios in bios section and ask for clean me.
      I've desoldered the bios and read it, looks like someone has been tampering with it before i got it. It was missing Gbe and ME regions completely and also some sections of the bios.

I've tried to rebuild it myself and i think i've done it right, i'm attaching both files if some1 can take a look before i solder it to the mobo.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maxslo View Post
        I've desoldered the bios and read it, looks like someone has been tampering with it before i got it. It was missing Gbe and ME regions completely and also some sections of the bios.

I've tried to rebuild it myself and i think i've done it right, i'm attaching both files if some1 can take a look before i solder it to the mobo.
        Try (Main W25Q64_1.bin first) and leave feedback:
        Attached Files
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
        Become a Badcaps supporter
        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
        Thanks to all supporters.​
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
          Try (Main W25Q64_1.bin first) and leave feedback:
          Hi, I've downloaded these and checked with HxD and they are bioses for G751JL?
          JL is version with GTX 965M while JY has the GTX 980M, is it safe to use this on JY?

Comment

Hi, I've downloaded these and checked with HxD and they are bioses for G751JL?
            JL is version with GTX 965M while JY has the GTX 980M, is it safe to use this on JY?
            Yes it's a G751JL version, I don't have a JY one.
            Nothing prevents you from trying. You have a backup, so you can always go back to it. Is it safe? I think so, but I can't be 100% sure, use it at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
              I agree with you.

The G751JY bios Posted in the "Bios requests" section .

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82031 .
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                I agree with you.

The G751JY bios Posted in the "Bios requests" section .

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82031 .
                Thanks, I'm trying that now.
                I've also sourced a 206 BIOS dump in another thread and i'll try that later if this one doesn't succeed.

Comment

The 205 version didn't work the laptop starts, but doesnt post and turns off after 15 seconds.
                  I'm trying with a 206 now.

Comment

The 205 and 206 versions both failed to post, but the rebuilt one i've done posts in about 12 seconds which is half of the time it needed before and i also cannot replicate the issue with no 3VSUS_ON anymore with the steps i was guaranteed to do it before.

If i could just get the post time below 5s like normal.
                    Also 2 more things to mention.
                    1. After the first quarter spin animation of windows boot there is a approximately 1s freeze and from there everything goes normally.
                    2. Since the 213 i've rebuilt has been flashed the keyboard backlight no longer work (also windows doesn't register the backlight button combos, all the other onese register just fine)

Comment

I've gone thru the startup sequence and the laptop completes startup sequence almost immediately, so i'm leaning towards the remaining issues all bein the bios issue.

Would it make sense to pull all 3 chips (bios, ec and vbios) and flashing them to the 205 dumps?

Sadly the EC chip is not standard SIOC-8 like the bios and vBIOS for which i am just using the clips so i'd have to solder the wires separately.
                      Last edited by maxslo; 02-09-2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Would it make sense to pull all 3 chips (bios, ec and vbios) and flashing them to the 205 dumps?
                        Well, you know "if it works, don't touch it".

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
                          Well, you know "if it works, don't touch it".
                          Hehe I know, but it's not completely fixed just yet

Comment

Backlight fix:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69782

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
                              I know that this was a thing on the G73 models, but the G751J doesn't have the light switch key, are you sure this also applies to the G751J?

Comment

There are only two things certain in life...

Try and find out, it changes one byte in bios in the configuration part. If it messes something up just reflash the bios.

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
                                  There are only two things certain in life...

Try and find out, it changes one byte in bios in the configuration part. If it messes something up just reflash the bios.
                                  Will do when i get back home from work, thanks for the link

Comment

pozdrav,

what is your version of motherboard? although they look almost the same there are two verisons of this g751jy board...one is with gsync and other without...
                                    I attached bios for g751jy rev 2.5 (gsync version)...try it.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by myth77 View Post
                                      pozdrav,

what is your version of motherboard? although they look almost the same there are two verisons of this g751jy board...one is with gsync and other without...
                                      I attached bios for g751jy rev 2.5 (gsync version)...try it.
                                      Hey, it is rev 2.5 indeed, i'll give yours a try. thanks

Comment

The fixmykb worked and i had backlight, i've saved the dump with working backlight and started to load the 205 when i've noticed something odd, the writing was actually failing but the program continued writing not caring about the errors. after reading back i've confirmed that the bios doesn't get written properly, sadly i'm left without a working bios at the moment, i've tried writing to some 4MB chips that i have around and they have corrupted data also.
                                        I'm now looking into why this is happening, is it the clips or the programmer...
                                        I'll update once i get the programmer back up and running.
                                        Last edited by maxslo; 02-10-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X