Cleaning cooling laptop fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning cooling laptop fans

I received acer predator helios 300 with overheating issue. So when i disassemble it i could see a lot of dust everywhere. To clean it proper i had to open the fans because they didnt even spin because of the dust. So i clean everything and put a good quality thermal paste...but i have the problem. One of the fans is not spining..it is trying because i can see a little move but its seems stucked. So i disassmble it again and try to clean it again with isopropil alcohol...and it worked... but for only a day. Tomorrow again not spining. Again i used isopropil alcohol to clean the vent niddle and magnets and again it worked for a day.
    Do you have any suggestions? Somewhere i read to use some sort of greas in place where fan niddle is sitting on the magnetic/housing part but i am not sure..What is your expirience on this subject?
    Thank you!

Re: Cleaning cooling laptop fans

I use sewing machine oil on fan spindles ,isopropyl is no good as it evaporates. Don`t put any oil on the magnet,just clean it with a cloth and isopropyl.

Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-28-2020, 01:56 AM.
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hello. Maybe you can unmount fan and check it by laboratory power supply if it work correctly?

Comment

Shot bearings. You may try to use lab supply to boost voltage, and maybe this will help loosen up things.

Problem with these fans, there is no direct approach to clean them, they are sealed and unserviceable. And fan assembly is not removable.

Bearings creates too much friction so stock voltage would not spin them up.

Comment

The fan rotor lifts off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTuNyfflFSo 5 min 20 sec
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

yes, i am talking about fan rotor...I lifted it off, cleaned, also cleaned magnetic part...and it is working..for a day..then stuck again...its trying to move..i can see little movement in a part of the second...then i clean it again...working..tomorrow not working. I guess i will have to buy sewing machine oil and give it a try...

Comment

Originally posted by myth77 View Post
              yes, i am talking about fan rotor...I lifted it off, cleaned, also cleaned magnetic part...and it is working..for a day..then stuck again...its trying to move..i can see little movement in a part of the second...then i clean it again...working..tomorrow not working. I guess i will have to buy sewing machine oil and give it a try...
              What type of oil you use for lubrication?

Comment

Originally posted by mosfetratus View Post
                What type of oil you use for lubrication?
                i didnt use it before...cleaning was always enough...but this time it isnt. So i will try what SMDFlea suggested.

Comment

Lift the rotor and oil with thin oil. Silicone oil..Or just hydraulic oil. Put oil where the rotor goes into the stator.
                  Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                  1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by myth77 View Post
                    i didnt use it before...cleaning was always enough...but this time it isnt. So i will try what SMDFlea suggested.
                    Cleaning is not enough, because bare metal creates oxides increases friction, bare metal to metal contact is also big friction. Oil will reduce friction to a minimum and will protect from oxidation. Sewing machine oil is OK, since it can handle high RPM and is good in dusty environments.

a single drop of oil will be more than enough.

Comment

why not buy a new processor fan it will solve your problem
                      Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

Working...
                      X