This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Works…but how far? No way that glass diode as one-way rectifier can do >1 A on spikes. And look at the soldering…
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by SIDMX View Post
      FSP F350-A went seppuku!
      PSU spec is more like a 2003!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Jooo View Post
        Chinese 1$ including shipping phone charger.
        Brand is TJ Courier Charger, specs 5v 500ma.

Surprisingly, this thing works.
        That's bad... how cheap and crappy can they go....

It's worse than the charger I got as basket filler for an order, which I reviewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLjojTnkJq8
        At $1.67, it's much better than yours but still crap.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
          That's bad... how cheap and crappy can they go....

It's worse than the charger I got as basket filler for an order, which I reviewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLjojTnkJq8
          At $1.67, it's much better than yours but still crap.
          The casing is actually identical to this one. This was from Ebay though.

And no, I'm not going to use it.

Comment

apevia? 700w
            yeah right.
            my guess is 300 without a kaboom.
            this turd was bought by a friend of the shops roomates against everyones advice.lasted just short of a year.i wanted to see how far it would go.
            model atx-cb700w
            Attached Files

Comment

The way the caps are attached to the mains input is very......interesting. Safety must have been their main concern followed closely by wanting to put out a quality product that would easily do its' full rating.

The important question is did the original buyer learn their lesson?

Comment

YoungYear do make their model numbers double what they design their units to put out, so ATX-600 would be spot on for 300W.

Comment

just what i told him it was good for.
                  the funny part is i googled atx-cb700w review and landed on his freshly posted review on newegg!
                  damm right a 300w unit with the ocp rigged up will make a nice space heater.....till the kaboom!

Comment

nice lead dress there huh?
                    sleeving those cap leads would have cost about 1/10 of a cent!
                    Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
                    The way the caps are attached to the mains input is very......interesting. Safety must have been their main concern followed closely by wanting to put out a quality product that would easily do its' full rating.

The important question is did the original buyer learn their lesson?

Comment

Power Star PS-650

So Power Star, 650W huh? Ohhhh they meant at -25*C ambient But at a realistic temperature....250W cause of those 13007's. Even if it had 13009's, that transformer could pump out maybe 300W?

The NTC thermistor looks pretty pitiful

The rectifiers are a joke with 12V = 16A, 3.3V = 20A, 5V = 20A. I found it interesting how they used a PI filter on the 3.3V rail but put a jumper for the 5V and 12V PI coil slots. So maybe your RAM won't fry?

The 5VSB transformer is tiny! And using the 2 transistor design, I'm sure that area would run pretty hot.

The only words of praise this unit gets, is that ugly WAM fan moves a lot of air while being quiet, and the bearing was well lubricated

Not sure who OEMs it but on the PCB reads "ATX-320LY1" I imagine you could get this design up to 320W safely with the right parts

Chinese worker 1: I know this thing is unreliable and all....but how can we make it less reliable?
                      Chinese worker 2: I dunno...maybe make that hot minimum load resistor physically touch that low quality H.Q. cap?
                      Chinese worker 1: Genius!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 10-25-2013, 08:45 PM. Reason: Fixed Title at user's request

Comment

Pretty standard 200-250W TL494 clone based, 25-50KHz half bridge design. Even a mere 250W would cook the O/P caps or the O/P inductor cores. Assuming the main transformer core didn't saturate, with a resulting in a loud noise, bright flash, and unpleasant smell.
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

The only good about it is it looks like it has proper Y capacitors ... not regular, unsafe, ceramic capacitors.
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Re: Power Start PS-650

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                            Not sure who OEMs it ...
                            If you look at the fan, you can tell that the OEM is Mary. Because it has a little Wam.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Re: Power Start PS-650

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              If you look at the fan, you can tell that the OEM is Mary. Because it has a little Wam.
                              I know I've heard that somewhere before...

Originally posted by c_hegge (on jonnyGURU)
                              ^
                              It's Mary. How do I know? Look at the fan shot. It has a little Wam

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
                              Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf (on jonnyGURU)
                              You've been reading too many of my reviews
                              I think I've been reading too many as well.

Comment

Yeah, but we're not all on JG too.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                  apevia?

my guess is 300 without a kaboom.
                                  Whhuuuutt?? I had nothing to do with this... I swear!
                                  300 milliwatts...

this turd was bought by a friend of the shops roomates against everyones advice.lasted just short of a year.i wanted to see how far it would go.
                                  model atx-cb700w
                                  Real far- out da window and into the dumpster!

Cal, you funny- I got a good laugh from your "WAMs" after a rotten week. Thanks!

Last edited by kaboom; 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM. Reason: "Jabberjaw" needed a "WAM"
                                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                  Originally posted by shango066
                                  All style and no substance.
                                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

so it goes WAM! when it fails?
                                    power star.
                                    turn on the power and WAM! stars come out?

Comment

No, it goes "WAM!" when you throw it at the wall after it blows up your hardware.

Actually, I think you're right. It would probably crumple and float away if you threw it at the wall.
                                      Last edited by cheapie; 10-25-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

That's what I was thinking.

Comment

Re: Power Star PS-650

I found it interesting how they used a PI filter on the 3.3V rail but put a jumper for the 5V and 12V PI coil slots. So maybe your RAM won't fry?
                                          Yes, very important for your SDRAM to have clean power!
                                          Oh wait, it's not 1999 anymore?

Chinese worker 1: I know this thing is unreliable and all....but how can we make it less reliable?
                                          Chinese worker 2: I dunno...maybe make that hot minimum load resistor physically touch that low quality H.Q. cap?
                                          Chinese worker 1: Genius!
                                          so true

Originally posted by kc8adu

Those Chinese PSU names are funny. Though still not as funny as PowMax, IMO.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 10-25-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X