Authorized Repair Center Charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authorized Repair Center Charges

Prices in CAD. I had a nice old couple bring me their LG 42LN5700 for backlight replacement with a classic flash of logo on power up. Quoted them $80 since new strips are only $20 and would take me 30 minutes to swap them out. They had contacted LG who referred them to an authorized service center. They were charged a $40 diagnostic fee (can be deducted from repair cost) and then quoted the next day $160 for parts plus $200 for labour. The repair place likely never plugged the TV in and just waited a day before replying with a quote to appear like they did something for the diagnostic fee. I have sold this model in the past for around $180 but prices dropping with this model getting older though Netflix and Youtube still work.

Re: Authorized Repair Center Charges

It's not that ridiculous IMO.
    Also your charges are so low that gives impression of quick and dirty fix.
    And the cost of repair could exceed price of used product (who knows in what condition), nothing new about this.
    I know repair business could be very frustrating, better luck next time.

Comment

So what happened, did they bring it back for fixing?

Comment

Canadians always getting gauged… unfortunately.

Comment

An authorized company may only work with original parts or they will lose their license.
          If you include the staff, vehicle(s) building and other costs, you sometimes arrive at very high amounts.
          This said, $200 for labor is high for max. 1 hour of work.

Comment

My issue isn't the rates they are charging but charging a $40 diagnostic fee to get an estimate. They can do this because they are an authorized repair center and takes advantage of seniors and others that not as computer literate. Do you think if they got a $360 phone estimate they would have brought their TV in? How much diagnostic is needed on this model to plug it in and watch the logo flash? I assumed they paid the fee since I have the TV now and waiting for new strips. It takes me 30 minutes to do this swap so I am effectively charging them $120 an hour for labor with no mark up in parts cost. Is LG still manufacturing OEM parts for a 2013 model TV?
            Last edited by neilc6; 08-11-2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

This is fine when you work out of your home, but operating a business you need to charge for estimate/diagnostics, fee. $40.00 is about normal. Look at all the electronic repair shops there are now, almost none, because there is no money in doing repairs anymore. and the ones that did free estimates were gone a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
              X