Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple Dell servers that don't post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple Dell servers that don't post...

I have a Dell Poweredge 1300SC and a 300SC, neither of which will POST. No beep, nothing. Tried swapping PSU, ram, CPU to no avail. Are there any known issues with these? I don't think they are worth fixing though. I've seen the whole system on Ebay for $9.99 buy it now

Re: A couple Dell servers that don't post...

Don't have a port 80 card, do you?? They can be very helpful with no POST issues like this..

Comment

Nope, I really need to get one. Any recommended models/places to buy? I know MCM has some.

Comment

I bought mine at either best Buy or Compusa about 4 years ago.. It was around $25... It's a Soyo one that has the 7 segment displays on both sides of the card, and has LED indicators for some of the voltages present on the motherboard..

Comment

This sounds like something that I should get. A quick Google search comes up with a half dozen cards. The most common is by StarTech:
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815158065

I can't find the SOYO one offered by anyone but SOYO themselves:
          http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=261
          http://shop.soyousa.com/customer/pro...336&cat=&page=

The biggest complaint about the StarTech, is that the readout is facing down (in a tower). It looks like the SOYO has a detached readout.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I managed to get both of them working

The 1300 board started coming to life after I removed it from the case and replaced the dead CMOS battery. I then discovered that it would give me a beep code with no RAM installed, but nothing when I had RAM in the slots. Turns out it didn't like the registered ram, and it worked fine with standard PC100 ECC. The cool thing about this system is it looks nearly new, like they had problems with it early on. The others looked like this:

The 300, I don't know why but it just started working out of nowhere.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm pretty sure I know why that one stopped working. It looks like some clumsy 'paper-certified warrior' spilled his Pepsi inside!
              You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
              Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

lol....damn that would be nasty if that is the case!!

Comment

It's actually all dust... nothing was spilled in it. But it's the nasty nicotine type dust because it came out of a strip club

The one in the pic is one of the working ones. The dead one was clean as a whistle...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Maxxarcade; 07-01-2007, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X