Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELL Z930P-00 SLOW start

Hello
    Have this DELL Z930P-00 server power supply, that when connected to power, not start. i hear BZZZZZZZ sound and after about 10seconds relay flips and main power works. when i disconnect it from power and reconnect it, it start imediatelly.
    looks like bad capacitor. i buy cheap ESR meter from aliexpress but it show me that all capacitors is ok.

attached picture where i hear that sound
    Attached Files

Re: DELL Z930P-00 SLOW start

Does the 5V (or 12V) Standby voltage come up immediately or take 5-10 seconds to come up?
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I dont know where is stand by voltage making, because i dont have schematic, but i measure two smaller caps and few seconds have 0.0V than 1.5V and when PSU start it have 16V
      Attached Files

Comment

i found 3.3V on output pin. when slow start it goes 0.35V than 0.6V and slowly rise to 0.8V and then PSU start and it goes 3,3V

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
          i found 3.3V on output pin. when slow start it goes 0.35V than 0.6V and slowly rise to 0.8V and then PSU start and it goes 3,3V
          What voltage do you have at the optic sensors when you start up the power supply does it take a little while to come to voltage I had a feeling that there might be a problem with that capacitor just for shits and giggles if you have one replace it and see what happens next if gets better or it stays the same
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-01-2020, 04:30 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

can u point me on my picture what capacitor and what "optic sensor"do u mean?

with that optic sensor u mean optocoupler?

Comment

replaced that two marked capacitor on my picture but it acts the same

Comment

There's a 22uF/35V SMD capacitor on the vertical control board that often goes bad (because of the heat from resistors) and the PSU dies completely.

To avoid desoldering the vertical board, remove the bad capacitor by rotating it using long pliers (the legs will break in the plastic bottom).
                Then solder new capacitor from the other side of the vertical board. The big copper plane on the lower half of the board is GND and goes to capacitor negative pole. The positive pole goes to a short trace on the right side, just above the GND. Check using a meter to be sure that it's connected to the original capacitor pads.

Comment

Working...
                X