Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting & Designing Networks
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Default Feed-thru 8P8C's

Anyone ever use these? They seem like the version for folks who need "training wheels". <frown>

I'm curious if there's any up-side to buying a bag of them (or, likewise, if there's any unforeseen DOWNside!)
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Retro-Hipster
Tinkerer

City & State: Salt Lake City
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Feed-thru 8P8C's

Oh, it's interesting to hear someone call them 8p8c's instead of RJ45's. (With how prevalent the misnomer is, that is interesting..)

The upside of passthrough modular ends really is just for integrity and verification. It can give you one less thing to worry about during installs because it would be pretty difficult to not know that it was done correctly. lol

Downsides I have seen on some cheaper ones are that the wires aren't alway hugged tight enough by the top and bottom of the module end. If you use them on solid core cable (shame on you lol) then it can make a poorer connection than on the standard ends.

I suppose I could see these being useful if you have poor eyesight as well since you can see the actual cable coming through instead of having to look through the plastic for verification. Personally though, I kind of file them into the "you'll know if you need them" category. They might have some interesting niche use case I don't know about, but so far I haven't run into it. ^^;

“Men always seem to think about their
past before they die, as though they were
frantically searching for proof that they
truly lived.”
– Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -
Retro-Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Default Re: Feed-thru 8P8C's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Hipster View Post
Oh, it's interesting to hear someone call them 8p8c's instead of RJ45's. (With how prevalent the misnomer is, that is interesting..)
I'm not sure you can even BUY RJ45 crimp-ons! :-/

Quote:
The upside of passthrough modular ends really is just for integrity and verification. It can give you one less thing to worry about during installs because it would be pretty difficult to not know that it was done correctly. lol
Yeah, hence my "training wheels" comment. I can't imagine anyone who's done these often would need that sort of reassurance -- you've either got a good "process", or not! (Having good tools also helps)

Quote:
Downsides I have seen on some cheaper ones are that the wires aren't alway hugged tight enough by the top and bottom of the module end. If you use them on solid core cable (shame on you lol) then it can make a poorer connection than on the standard ends.
Ah! That would be disconcerting. I rely on the feedback provided by that snugness to tell me the conductors are "in".

Quote:
I suppose I could see these being useful if you have poor eyesight as well since you can see the actual cable coming through instead of having to look through the plastic for verification.
I view the conductors from the mating end. You can usually tell if each conductor is FULLY engaged ("up against the stops"). And, if all of the conductors have been trimmed so their ends are lined up properly, its kinda hard for one to be "in" and not each of its neighbors!

Quote:
Personally though, I kind of file them into the "you'll know if you need them" category. They might have some interesting niche use case I don't know about, but so far I haven't run into it. ^^;
So, no real upside yet a potential risk for a downside. Seems like a no-brainer, to me!

Thanks!
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote