Sorting memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorting memory

I, apparently, have to "supervise" the volunteers, Monday. This, basically, means finding things to do that are of value and keep them busy (with a minimum amount of my involvement).

I figure "sorting memory" would be a great way to keep four or five of them busy for much of the day. For example:
    • Laptop vs. Desktop (though that line has blurred)
    • Server vs. Consumer
    • DDR2 vs. DDR3 vs. DDR4
    • ECC vs. non-ECC

I figure it's probably too much to ask for them to sort registered vs. buffered vs. unbuffered; 1R vs. 2R vs. 4R; FLHS, etc. (well, that last is probably an easy one)

Any gross criteria I should use to tell them what to discard? (I can always double-check the discards for "mistakes" before sending them off to the recycler)

[I thought of having them sort wall warts/bricks but figure that will be too prone to screwups...]

Re: Sorting memory

I keep them in bins. I don't have DDR3 & DDR4 bins yet, I can't seem to keep any spares on hand, even small ones....they get gobbled up fast.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I keep them in bins. I don't have DDR3 & DDR4 bins yet, I can't seem to keep any spares on hand, even small ones....they get gobbled up fast.
      I keep my personal "stock" in shoebox-sized boxes, sorted by speed (which tends to sort them by technology, as a side effect).

It would be SO much easier if someone would "give direction" to the folks tearing the machines down; tell them to pile ALL of the memory from these "Model ABCs" in a box... and from the Model DEFs in another box, etc. (As these usually come from larger sites, they're often identically configured machines. So, look at each BOX of memory and route it as necessary -- instead of dumping them all into large "trash" bins and having to sort through 100+ pounds at a time!)

[OTOH, it gives me an easy way to keep people from pestering me for "something else to do" on Monday!! :> ]

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
        Any gross criteria I should use to tell them what to discard? (I can always double-check the discards for "mistakes" before sending them off to the recycler)
        It appears that anything older than DDR3 gets scrapped (gold recovery).

Comment

Working...
        X