Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need an idea to connect a pump

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
    how about a simple on demand pump and pressure vessel plumbed into the water supply ? it gets me a 60 psi shower here .
    might have to adjust pump pressure to suit fridge .
    I'd be curious as to what the actual water pressure is. E.g., our municipal water pressure (ahead of the PRV) is about 120psi. But, I think design is for ~80psi.

And, whether a pump installed in the manner the OP intends WILL deliver the volume/rate of water for which he's hoping!

(this should be easy to test -- if he already has pump and power supply)

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
      I'd be curious as to what the actual water pressure is. E.g., our municipal water pressure (ahead of the PRV) is about 120psi. But, I think design is for ~80psi.

And, whether a pump installed in the manner the OP intends WILL deliver the volume/rate of water for which he's hoping!

(this should be easy to test -- if he already has pump and power supply)
      That sounds about right, my well has a 60/80 pressure switch on it.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

just a warning of water physics. Pumping water when there's none to be pumped won't get you anywhere. The pressure tank system as suggested is necessary along with the pump if you want to increase water pressure, perhaps even a full house system that will help refill your toilets faster too.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
          That sounds about right, my well has a 60/80 pressure switch on it.
          Most household appliances are designed for an 80psi maximum supply. I think the Code requires at least 20psi.

Higher pressures (e.g., the 120-150 we see, here) stress pipe joints, flex lines, internal plastic piping in appliances, etc.

As municipalities often diddle with water pressure (e.g., as the city expands and they have to push more water to more consumers through EXISTING pipes), it's highly recommended to have a PRV -- which also tends to bring in an expansion tank requirement :<

[Being on a private well, you have more control over your operating conditions]

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, guys!
            I haven't assembled it entirely yet because I need to get some time to open Blender and draw a case for 3D printing for the two 12V2A power supplies to add to the fridge along with the pump.
            The pressure on the house is about right, it is enough for everything and stable. Only problem is the fridge.
            If I disconnect the filter output from the fridge and put it into a bucket and open the valve, I can get 1/2 liter in like 6-8 seconds. I added the pump temporarily (right before the water filter) just to check if it would work and lo and behold, it takes only 10 seconds to fill a full 1/2 liter glass from the water dispenser in the fridge. I don't really need more than that!!
            Now @Curious.George : You got me thinking with the one you mentioned about lead and chinese plastics etc!
            I attached 3 pictures, the first two are of a reverse osmosis filter that has one pump pretty much like mine (3rd picture).
            So I guess it should be all right to drink the water from this, right??
            Attached Files

Comment

if the house is o.k., check the output from the main pipework to the fridge.

Comment

your pump looks similar to a pump i use .. its a shurflo . very good it is .only problem i have had is the micro-switch corroding but thats my fault letting it get damp

seem to remember to set the pressure vessel pressure about 2psi less than pump cut off pressure
                Last edited by petehall347; 06-03-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PinGuy View Post
                  Now @Curious.George : You got me thinking with the one you mentioned about lead and chinese plastics etc!
                  I attached 3 pictures, the first two are of a reverse osmosis filter that has one pump pretty much like mine (3rd picture).
                  So I guess it should be all right to drink the water from this, right??
                  You can't visually tell whether a device will leech lead (or other toxins) into the water passing through it. Nor can you tell by the part number, country of origin or any other detail visible to the end consumer.

Two ball valves:
                  https://www.desco.ca/en/products/pip...potable-water/

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-77CLF-.../dp/B006G1RWP8

If they were mislabeled, do you think you could figure out which was which?

You have to rely on the supply chain's integrity/honesty in portraying TRULY "suitable for potable water" products as such. Ever bought a "Rolex" watch for "a great price" (cuz it isn't a real Rolex! WTF? "That's illegal!!" :> )

Comment

That's terrible, @Curious.George.
                    Onto topic, just wanted to follow up. All is working well with the fridge. I can fill a glass of water quite quickly now.
                    Only problem I had is that the pressure is too much for the ice maker, and it overflows and spills all inside the freezer, even when adjusting the fill-up time preset it has to the minimum, which is about 6 secs
                    So I ended leaving the pump only for the water dispenser, I can live with the hollow cubes

Thanks everyone for the input.

Comment

Use a flow control valve and set to the flow for the ice maker water valve line only
                      The one I talking about are type that go into the water valve

Or you can do it on the supply line and split the ice maker/ water dispenser water valve
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-27-2019, 01:19 PM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                      X