Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Benq G2420HD wire identification/assignment & LED conversion

Originally posted by stj View Post
    if you find which tab it is, you can try putting foam behind it to push it forward or even using heat to bond it back.
    it will usually not be the tab at the board end, but where it goes on the glass.
    I'll try once i finish this hillbilly modification im doing with the plastic and aluminium frames, disassembling both was incredibly difficult so i'm cutting retention clips and other stuff to make it much easier when assembling, seriously these things are made to never be dismantled and when you try omg it's like doing some major surgery.

imma push every single tiny pin with some plastic tool and check carefully if the line fades away, moves or anything like that, thx for the advice!

Comment

there are no pins on tab-bonds - it's flex cables glued to the glass with conductive glue

Comment

well i've tried for the last 2 hours and the line won't disappear.

I literally touched, put pressure, shake, pressed and more with little to almost no force and then i did it with much more "violence" but nothing happened, i did this with all the perimeter of the screen, with my fingers and a plastic spatula.

I touched the screen, the blue glue, the tab-bonds, the flex cables/circuit, i moved them, let them hang with no screws, pushed them in different ways and still nothing changed, finally i watched the whole perimeter looking for something broken or unusual but nope, visual inspection reveals nothing.

You get used to this line tho, it's annoying but still works and since you guys told me the conversion process had nothing to do with this problem i won't disassembly again, i thought that maybe soldering the wire to the capacitor or some bad soldering work with the cables (like shorted joints) caused this problem but i don't have any basis to affirm such thing so ill stick to the tabs issue

i could try the same but now from the board side and play with the flat flexible cables from logic to the lcd board, stay tuned for the next tacoloco attempt.

ps: tabs (the orange flexible circuit) get kinda hot, not too much but you can feel the heat if you leave the finger in any tab, and the monitor itself is much more cooler i dont feel any heat coming from behind i'd guess thats coz we shutted down the old inverter and the cfl lamps.

Comment

the problem is the connection on the edge of the glass itself.
          it can just happen with age, or by moving it when stripping the screen to change the lights.

btw, in future study the panel before acting, some will let you pull the lamps out from the side without seperating the layers.
          not all, but some - specially the older ones with 2 or 3 tubes mounted together at the top and bottom.

Comment

the problem is the connection on the edge of the glass itself.
            it can just happen with age, or by moving it when stripping the screen to change the lights.

btw, in future study the panel before acting, some will let you pull the lamps out from the side without seperating the layers.
            not all, but some - specially the older ones with 2 or 3 tubes mounted together at the top and bottom.
            I was looking for new monitors the last 2 weeks and this is much worse than i thought because there are so many and i can't make up my mind about picking one cheap budget 24" 1080p monitor and those who got my attention have only 60-70% positive reviews coz some people complained about things like: dead pixels, ghosting, poor sharpness, contrast and more... anyway that's not the reason why im posting after 1 month...

I FOUND THE PROBLEM and it was exactly what you told me, the connection right there between the flex orange circuit and the glass like in between the blue glue/plastic.

Right now i just have 2 lines, a green and a red one and that's much better than the old ugly thick vertical white line i had (for anyone interested i uploaded a pic showing that dumb white line, look at page 1).

Maybe it won't stay like this forever, if i move the monitor or clean the screen i fear that some lines may come back but i could always push it back and remove some or most of those dumb lines, anyway im very happy now lol but is there anything else i could try to keep it like this or remove entirely those lines? btw i did it with my fingernails

Gonna get some sleep now and see how it behaves tomorrow, thanks once again for all the help
            Attached Files

Comment

some people have tried putting a bit of foam between the connection and frame so it presses when it's assembled,
              but one of your pictures looks like the glass is cracked??

btw, i know what you mean about the monitors all having various issues - the best i'v seen was an asus IPS display, but even that had an issue - backlight escaping around the edge causing a slight glow in the dark.

just so you know,
              ghosting is caused by using shit unscreened cables, and lack of sharpness is caused by running the signal at a different resolution to the panel.
              ALWAYS set your gfx card to the same resolution and frequency as the panel - that way the scaler chip in the monitor wont mess with the picture

personally i have NEVER paid for a monitor - i just get broken / discarded ones and fix them.
              i have maybe 8 or 10 here, the most each has cost is €5 in capacitors.
              if i get one and the glass is cracked, it's good for spare boards and lamps,
              if the glass and lamps are o.k. then changing the caps has always got them working.
              Last edited by stj; 07-17-2019, 05:22 AM.

Comment

personally i have NEVER paid for a monitor - i just get broken / discarded ones and fix them.
                i have maybe 8 or 10 here, the most each has cost is €5 in capacitors.
                if i get one and the glass is cracked, it's good for spare boards and lamps,
                if the glass and lamps are o.k. then changing the caps has always got them working.
                Wow thats awesome i wish i knew how to properly repair stuff like that coz i would do the same lol, get some "broken" monitors, repair and enjoy.

Oh and the glass isn't cracked, that's the way how it is coz every single flex circuit section has the same "crack" when it reaches the glass, well thats what it seems to me.

I just turned on the computer and found just one green line, i pushed once again with a needle (not the pointy side) till i found the area for that pixel column and now the monitor doesn't any line, like if nothing ever happened

And yea i could use some foam between the panel and the aluminium frame that way it would give some pressure but hmmm it may or may not work, what i was thinking is maybe i could CUT the aluminium frame and leave that place clear so next time a line appears i could remove the plastic frame and push the glue or the tab, it would be annoying but better than keeping that ugly white line, im gonna make a photoshop picture about this hillbilly idea of mine

btw what do you think about this monitors?
                LG 24mp59g-p
                Samsung curved cf390

the lg has IPS display and samsung VA, the bad reviews from some people said that both have some ghosting, blur, bleeding and well i shouldnt expect too much for $140 give or take

Comment

i would expect a lot for that price - monitors are cheap now.
                  the reviewers should tell people where the cable came from and what video settings they use.
                  a lot of idiots push the framerate as high as possible - specially gamers.
                  and set the wrong resolution to match something other than the monitor.
                  frame-rate does not equal speed of the software, it equals the number of times a second the card transfers the framebuffer ram to the monitor.
                  as the monitor is almost always updating the glass at 60HZ any higher framerate is just going to be buffered and frame-dropped in the monitor.

one other thing, you said 1080P

the P stands for "progressive" as opposed to Interlaced.
                  these terms are only used for CRT monitors - lcd's transfer the image into ram before displaying it - so saying P vs I is pointless.

if you are in a big city, go to some computer shops and look at the displays in use - shops are unlikely to use shit chinese cables or mess with the automatic settings. (unlike gamers who think they are smarter than everybody else)
                  Last edited by stj; 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X