Sharp Aquos LC-70LE640U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Aquos LC-70LE640U

I recently acquired this set, removed the back panel to check and see that all seems to look in order- nothing burnt or bulged or molested. When first turning on, the LED's only lit up around the left side even though the text displayed the input status on the upper right. With a Sony PS hooked, the text was bright lime green, crimson red, bold yellow and it sorta seemed less than standard def with what looked like 2 big ink blotches on the left side of the screen. I then removed and hooked up direct tv on HDMI 1 and got bright colors and lines everywhere and couldn't tell what channel I was on unless seeing the network call letters in the corner. The colors are over saturated especially red. The strange thing was changing to another channel, you could hear it was on another channel yet the screen image was the previous channel and took several seconds to fade to the current channel. When I turned off the cable box, the screen was still on fading out even after 20 seconds- I'm thinking something popped on the t-con- or maybe the main board?
    If anyone can give me their advice as where to start, that would be great-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tjmethod; 02-04-2016, 08:48 AM. Reason: missed part of the model

Re: Sharp Aquos LC-70LE640U

Looks like a failed panel to me. Have you checked the tab bonds?

Comment

X2 on the panel fail. The sharp aquos that I saved displayed some similar traits at various times depending on how well it started up. Your best bet is to follow the "standard troubleshoot" and disconnect the corner flex cable on either lower corner of the display which disconnects the corresponding side drivers. Power up and look at the display. You will likely find your answer shortly there after (ie. one side or the other is bad... :-( ) Of course, the "save" can likely be performed.

Comment

the best thing to do here would be to disconnect the bottom 1 inch ribbon one at a time on each side of the panel connecting the side boards to the bottom boards power of the TV and see which side looks good. Well go from there.

I've seen the same symptom indicating a bad driver on one side of the panel sometimes it takes out the panel completely and the tcon, Sometimes you get a picture like what you see and others get a really rapid flashing picture with lines going through it. It all depends on how bad the driver has failed. But I guarantee you one side is bad
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Thats going to be the next step when I get back to it

Comment

Yeah I'm hoping so, it looks to be the same as the Vizio's Sharp panel... what perplexed me was the single flexible LVDS cable- just a pinch in

Comment

Hey Shawn- ya going to follow that route when I get back... the kid that got this set from the neighbor had told him it didn't power up. He said it didn't power up also then removed the back cover, looked over the power board and then it did power up. I disconnected the power to the t-con, LVDS to and from main board, and both ends of each flex from the t-con to the panel and cleaned them with alcohol then reconnected them. When I powered it on- nothing just that peak light in the front middle...

Comment

Interesting. I'd still try.the disconnect method first.

When he said it didn't power up he probably didn't count the flashing code in the front? It most likely was flashing a 2-5 error.

Disconnecting everything could have caused the TV to revert back to the menu and not showing the previous port you are connected to most likely HDMI 1? So now not seeing which port you were on because of the screen being messed up might be the reason why you're only getting the small flicker of light. That small flicker of light could very well be the no signal pattern generated on the screen
                Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-04-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Well after finally getting this thing suspended from the rafters in the basement, I was able to work on it... so I checked all cables that I cleaned and turned out the LVDS into the t-con wasn't quite pinched in all the way so when powering on- all the edge LEDs initially came on and appeared to be normal. I had the fire stick plugged in this time and it shows what appears to be a big vertical black blotch in the background about a foot and a half wide on the left middle which sort of changes the red to orange in that area and to the left of that and the right side of the screen seem normal/ much brighter which appear to be the only issue. On to the corner tab test. After disconnecting the left side and powering on showed no difference at all but when disconnecting the right side and powering on showed nothing but vertical lines. I'm not sure what that means but if that's normal then I'm thinking t-con board issue?
                  Attached Files

Comment

can you please clarify your "disconnect operation" as it appears you disconnected both corner cables at the same time.... if that's true, you are not really doing a proper "test". Your "test" needs to be only one cable disconnected at a time. Further, do yourself a favor (and the forum), input a know test pattern such as the color bar test pattern (these can be found in some dvds and also available in some pc files). Using known patterns will help people understand exactly what they are looking at as opposed to looking at a screen that has images they may not know. My guess is that the last pattern you show is with both corner cables disconnected (not much to say), the other are likely indicating some form of bad panel but it is hard to determine as I am not clearly seeing what the image should be "normally".

Comment

Hey bud- I hadn't disconnected both at the same time- I unplugged, disconnected one side then powered on, powered off and repeated with other side. To my surprise- after cleaning all connection etc. with alcohol pads then reconnecting, I read other stuff online pointing towards the backlight inverter boards which seem to obviously be to me the boards directly underneath so I figured I'd clean those too and then come to find the left tab's bar wasn't locked down. Once locked down the picture is perfect.

Comment

Here's the pictures
                        Attached Files

Comment

OK... set fixed... great!

Comment

The culprit
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow nice find!! Add that one to the list of possible scenarios that these panels have when malfunctioning..

Comment

Ya and the beauty about all the tv's I've fixed is unless there is physical damage then it's fixable. MyMy first was Samsung 50" plasma about 3 yrs. ago and several since then.
                                Check put this video on the same problem I was having... of course it didn't work for me since the tab wasn't locked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-y5pt06HJ4

Comment

Need help Don’t know how to explain turn TV on green number two comes up in the right hand corner and then fades away to a black screen

Comment

Working...
                                  X