Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 5567 Black Screen after installing Drivers

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (5567)

when installing the intel hd 620 graphics drivers the laptop screen goes black. if i restart or shutdown it's the same thing, it will show the win10 spinning dots and then it goes black again. if i connect a monitor to the hdmi port i can see the screen.

if i load in safe mode or disable the intel hd 620 graphics adapter, i can see the screen on the laptop but theres no 3d acceleration.

tried os reinstall, latest bios, latest hd 620 drivers (from dell and intel), reset bios, taking off the cmos battery.

anything else i can try?

motherboard:
    BAL20 LA-801P
    Rev:1.0 (A00)
    2016-09-30

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk...laptop/drivers

Re: Dell Inspiron 5567 Black Screen after installing Drivers

could try a linux distro for testing it .

Comment

I had this problem on few dell laptops too, and best I can find out that it is CPU problem.
      Original Dell parts for sale

Comment

This is very likely to be PCH problem and in this case it is single die for both cpu+pch.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
          could try a linux distro for testing it .
          I tried Ubuntu 19. in less than 10s after bootup laptop goes to sleep. pressing the power button the laptop wakes up and goes to sleep again.

also tried Windows 7, after installing drivers windows loads but the screen remains black.

Originally posted by lvalius View Post
          I had this problem on few dell laptops too, and best I can find out that it is CPU problem.
          Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          This is very likely to be PCH problem and in this case it is single die for both cpu+pch.
          is something that's fixable or new mb?

i was told that a drink was spilled on it, i'll open and have a look.

Comment

Seems like lid sensor issue then.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

opened the laptop and i can't see where the sensor is.

should the sensor be connected directly to the motherboard or touchpad or keyboard?

if it was the sensor, why would it be turning off only when installing intel gpu drivers?

Comment

Take a magnifier and find any sign of liquid spillage.
                After post an image of the research

Comment

Originally posted by m3g4tr0n View Post
                  opened the laptop and i can't see where the sensor is.

should the sensor be connected directly to the motherboard or touchpad or keyboard?

if it was the sensor, why would it be turning off only when installing intel gpu drivers?
                  The easiest way to identify lid switch is to look where magnet on the screen panel touches motherboard-it has to be near the area where magnet touches the base of mb. However, screen going blank and resuming on powerswitch press is likely to be a lid sensor issue but that still cant explain screen going blank after intel hd driver installation.

Comment

@mcplslg123
                    magnet is at the bottom right of the screen near the power button.

@jasko_jacker
                    it's hard to see any corrosion as the board was cleaned by the owner. i could see some corrosion inside the power flex socket.

did some voltage tests on the power button pcb flex cable (not on the motherboard connector)

when laptop was off
                    Pin
                    1 0v (3valw)
                    2 5v (white_led_pwr)
                    3 0 --x
                    4 3.1v (power_sw#_mb)
                    5 0.8v (lid_close#_c)
                    6 0.07v

should pin1 not be 3v all the time. im getting that on pin4.

Dell Inspiron 15 5567 BAL20 LA-D801P Rev 1.0 (A00).pdf
                    Attached Files

Comment

Measure when laptop is on.
                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

took some voltage measurements on the mb connector this time

Off
                        1: 3.3 (3valw)
                        2: 0.8 (lid_close#_c)
                        3: 3.1 (power_sw#_mb)
                        4: 0 (nc)
                        5: 0.2 (white_led_pwr)
                        6: 0 (gnd)

On
                        1: 3.3 (3valw)
                        2: 0.8 (lid_close#_c)
                        3: 3.1 (power_sw#_mb)
                        4: 0 (nc)
                        5: 5 (white_led_pwr)
                        6: 0 (gnd)

the 3valw pin is missing on the connector.
                        Attached Files

Comment

So your lid switch is on the power button itself. Measure voltage on all pins of Lid switch or you can remove the lid switch and test whether display going blank & resuming on power button press problem is resolved or not.

Comment

problem was the 3valw, it was missing on the connector.
                            I put a jumper from the motherboard to the power button PCB and laptop is working fine.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Screen going blank after intel hs driver installation-is this resolved??

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                                Screen going blank after intel hs driver installation-is this resolved??

Yes it's resolved.

Comment

Just to recap : Pin 2 should be 3.3 V when door is open and 0V when closed. This message goes to pin 41 from UE1 chip as signal LID_CLOSE#. At least on my Dell Inspiron 15-5567

Comment

I used to face same problem. I know the Solution.

Just Install Windows but don't update Graphics Card, Go to the Dell.com Download bios from there then Update BIOS from Dell.com the most latest version. After that Install Graphics Cards Driver. It's all done.

Comment

May I know what is "alw" is short for? I know that the first part of "3valw" is the 3 volt, but I want to understand the "alw" abbreviation and the purpose of this pin if you don't mind

Comment

'alw' = always ON.

Comment

Working...
                                        X