X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPIBL-LB loses BIOS settings after power off

Had this a while, and recently decided to use for a build

Was working fine, until froze up in the final stages of a Win7 update

Since then, most obvious problem is every time started after power off, comes up with message:

"Default BIOS settings have been loaded due to BIOS update or checksum issue"

Please don't suggest battery - first thing to be replaced

Then I convinced myself its KZGs must be the culprit, so replaced them with recycled MBZ and, for sharp-eyed, newer KZG in VRM input - all tested OK on ESR meter

Made no difference

I've tried different processors, different memory, different battery - nada

Any insight or suggestions? - my gut feeling is flakey CMOS memory, but isn't that built into Southbridge now?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pfrcom; 02-04-2019, 10:08 PM.
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: IPIBL-LB loses BIOS settings after power off

Did you update the BIOS and if so can you go back to any previous version?

Comment

Do you have an HP BIOS on it or an ASUS BIOS. (checksum error)?
      Googling on it shows some people say board not compatible with 7.
      Can you load Vista or XP on it to see if the same problem occurs?
      More info please.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
        Did you update the BIOS and if so can you go back to any previous version?
        1. Yes, to 5.43

2. Yes, retained 5.17, could revert
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Do you have an HP BIOS on it or an ASUS BIOS. (checksum error)?
          Googling on it shows some people say board not compatible with 7.
          Can you load Vista or XP on it to see if the same problem occurs?
          More info please.
          HP BIOS - 5.43

Tried loading XP recently, for another reason

Left it alone for the tedious early stage, came back to a blue (only) screen and frozen

Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't work, nor did shorting reset pins on Front Panel header - had to power off, thus back to BIOS settings

Board was working perfectly with Win7

Had loaded it up, installed drivers, activated, installed KB3020369, and then it froze during install of KB3125574

Comment

Update:

Reverted BIOS to 5.17, then clean installed XP SP3

After power off, same problem

Comment

I doubt this is the issue, but... I notice in the uploaded pictures above that one of the memory modules may not be completely in the RAM slot, judging by the slightly unlocked RAM lock lever.

Aside from that, I wonder if this motherboard's issues have something related to the common "Chassis Intruded" problem seen on other ASUS motherboards.

What's a bit unsettling is that I also have an HP PC with an IPIBL-LB mobo that's been a bit finicky. Namely, when I got the board, at first it wouldn't always boot, then sometimes it would interpret the power button as a reset button, and it also manage to freeze on me a few times. But after using it for a while, the issue went away? And now it's fully working. (Though we all know the saying about issue that fix themselves, right? ).

Anyways, I know this isn't quite helpful. That said, going with your gut feeling about the flakey CMOS RAM also sounds plausible to me. As for whether CMOS RAM is in SB or not... I'm not sure, but you can check the small ICs on the board. I think many boards of that era still used separate chips for storing CMOS.
              Last edited by momaka; 02-05-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Also I'm notice " a jumper".

Is it on correct set position?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by on/off View Post
                  Also I'm notice " a jumper".

Is it on correct set position?
                  That jumper is related to SPI BIOS recovery

It is correct, and required, according to SPI Header section of https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01324212

Board won't power on if jumper is removed

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    As for whether CMOS RAM is in SB or not
                    ICH9 has "256-byte battery-backed CMOS RAM" according to attached

Hmmm, this P.O.S. is getting dangerously closing to joining its colleague the GA-Z77H-D3H - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74364
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                      ICH9 has "256-byte battery-backed CMOS RAM" according to attached
                      Ah. :\
                      I'd still check for any external CMOS chips, though. Maybe ASUS didn't use the one in the NB? (On second thoughts, I need to pull my IPIBL-LB from storage and remove its CMOS battery, as I will be moving it into deeper storage soon and don't want its battery to go bad in there. Could concurrently check with you if there is such a chip then.)

Hmmm, this P.O.S. is getting dangerously closing to joining its colleague the GA-Z77H-D3H - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74364
                      Let's hope not.
                      BTW, did you look into the possibly partially seated RAM, as I mentioned in my previous post? I know it's something you wouldn't miss... but it would be almost nice if the problem was a simple issue like that.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        did you look into the possibly partially seated RAM
                        Sort of - in that I'm currently trying it with a single 2GB DDR2-6400U

I usually make sure latches are pushed in, can only assume that one moved when it was having its picture taken

Comment

HP BIOS - 5.43

Tried loading XP recently, for another reason

Left it alone for the tedious early stage, came back to a blue (only) screen and frozen

Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't work, nor did shorting reset pins on Front Panel header - had to power off, thus back to BIOS settings

Board was working perfectly with Win7

Had loaded it up, installed drivers, activated, installed KB3020369, and then it froze during install of KB3125574
                          Do you mind sharing what the BSOD message was?

Comment

Another thing to check.
                            You say HP BIOS update, might be a hidden BIOS menu.
                            Worth looking into.
                            F2, F10, F11?

Comment

https://retrohelix.com/2012/09/how-t...-hp-computers/
                              Found this, might help getting into the advanced BIOS settings menu.
                              If your CPU fan is turning below a certain RPM or stalls at some point in the boot process the BIOS CPU protection sensors maybe shutting you down. In that case you need to disable CPU FAN MONITOR DETECTION.

Comment

Do you mind sharing what the BSOD message was?
                                Unfortunately what I meant by "blue (only)" screen was there was no message, just a blue screen

Comment

https://retrohelix.com/2012/09/how-t...-hp-computers/
                                  Found this, might help getting into the advanced BIOS settings menu.
                                  If your CPU fan is turning below a certain RPM or stalls at some point in the boot process the BIOS CPU protection sensors maybe shutting you down. In that case you need to disable CPU FAN MONITOR DETECTION.
                                  I've been trying it with a fan connected to System header, to forestall error message

Have tried Ctrl-F10/F11/Ctrl-F11 a few times, but succeeded only once in getting the Advanced menu

With wisdom of hindsight, I should have disabled fans detection then

Comment

Most recent attempt was replacing the last remaining KZG (capacitor racism), a 470uf 16v, with a new KY

At the same time removed, cleaned and replaced the battery holder, underneath which looked a bit grotty

Didn't make any difference

Comment

FWIW, other weird behaviour is, if I short Reset pins on Front Panel header, more often than not there's a delay, then it powers off

At that point just shorting the Pwr pins won't start it - I have to switch power off & on before it will start again

So I need to remember to use Ctrl-Alt-Del for reset

Something fundamental seems to have gone wrong with its electronics - reckon I'm

Comment

FWIW, other weird behaviour is, if I short Reset pins on Front Panel header, more often than not there's a delay, then it powers off

At that point just shorting the Pwr pins won't start it - I have to switch power off & on before it will start again

So I need to remember to use Ctrl-Alt-Del for reset

Something fundamental seems to have gone wrong with its electronics - reckon I'm
                                        Check to see if you have the switches connected in the correct pins on the header.

Comment

Working...
                                        X