Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony KD-70X690E Bravia; Bad TCON? Bad panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KD-70X690E Bravia; Bad TCON? Bad panel?

What's wrong with my TV: the TCON, the panel, or something else? I'm stuck.

Problem:

Last week, my Sony KD-70X690E 70" stopped displaying a picture. The TV powers on, and the back lights power on. However, the TV doesn't seem to boot up. I say this because the SONY splash-screen logo does not display, nor does any picture display, nor can I invoke a menu by pressing "Menu" on the remote. Other than back-light bleed, the screen is black.

My troubleshooting got me this far:

With the left-hand TCON to bottom-board ribbon cable disconnected, the TV starts normally and the right half of the screen works great. I can now see half the SONY logo for a couple seconds, and then half a menu asking me to select a language (likely from the factory reset I did previously).

The left half of the screen is white. (Possibly related to the problem, 10 inches in from the left edge, a 1-pixel pink vertical line extends from the top of the screen down 7 inches.)

- I re-seated both ends of the bottom-board ribbon cables, including the cable that bridges the two bottom boards.
    - All bottom-board tabs appear to be undamaged and tightly stuck down to the bottom boards.
    - I don't see any cracks in the panel.

Thank you for any help.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KD-70X690E Bravia; Bad TCON? Bad panel?

Since the t-con is at the bottom. You will need to inspect the ribbons that attach to the panel for water damage. You will need to remove the metal piece covering the boards.
    Last edited by dskall; 12-28-2021, 10:46 PM.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

That line for sure is panel. Worth trying scotch tape method, google for more details. Maybe you will get picture back, possibly not perfect and I don't think that line will go away.

Comment

Yes vertical line is separate panel issue from no video and will still be present if you can get video to show. Tape cutoff method https://techhometravel.com/repair-of...lines-on-a-tv/

Comment

With your help, I made progress this weekend. Thank you! With ribbon-cable "pin" 6 blocked with Scotch tape, the TV now shows the Sony logo and a picture. Cool!

However, although the picture and text are sharp, the left half of the screen is orange and dark. (See photos.)

Does this mean the TCON board is OK and something is broken downstream of the TCON?

Why is the screen orange after Scotch-taping? In the Scotch-tape-repair videos I watched, the screens don't become discolored after the tape is applied.

With the left-most driver bridge cable disconnected, the orange color is still there. (See photo.)

What might I try to resolve the discoloration?
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X