Vizio E601i-A3 top half of screen dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E601i-A3 top half of screen dim

A buddy brought me a TV that his work was throwing out. It powers on, has video, but the top half of the screen is dim. From what I've researched, this is an edge lit TV, and I think that the LED strips (shopJimmy offers two strips) are on the bottom edge. On this TV, the bottom of the screen is bright. I'm wondering if this is caused by a faulty panel? Or is this something that can be repaired?

Has anyone else experienced this symptom on an edge lit TV?
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio E601i-A3 top half of screen dim

Dang. I was hoping by now someone would have some experience with this symptom on an edge lit TV.

Comment

I would say remove screen and see if backlight is uniform

Comment

I agree with alfatv that it's best to check that none of the backlights are out.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I assumed that since this is an edge lit TV, and the backlights are only along the bottom edge and there’s a bright strip along the bottom that the backlights aren’t the issue. But maybe there are sections of that one strip that aren’t functioning and the other sections are enough to fill across at the bottom of the screen, but not bright enough to fill the whole screen.

Comment

Besides LEDs, there is glass and diffuser sheets which suppose to produce uniform backlight. You will not know unless you take it apart. Single burnt LEDs or sections should not cause the issue you have.

Comment

Shopjimmy seems to show 2 backlight strips as replacement. Perhaps this tv has 2 led strips, one on top and the other on the bottom? Maybe one strip is burnt out?

Comment

Originally posted by frannyjunk View Post
                Shopjimmy seems to show 2 backlight strips as replacement. Perhaps this tv has 2 led strips, one on top and the other on the bottom? Maybe one strip is burnt out?
                I assumed they were sold as two shorter strips that both adhere to the bottom. The TV is 54” wide, so for manufacturing/shipping, it more economical to produce and package two 26-27” wide strips than to make a single 50”+ long strip.

Another consideration is that it uses 68 SMD LEDs per strip and they appear to be spaced fairly close together. The largest SMD LED I'm aware of is the 8.5mmx 2.0 mm. 68 * 8.5 = 578mm / 25.4mm = 22.76”

I need to just bite the bullet and tear it down and see if I can pinpoint an issue. I'm just a little gun shy on pulling another large panel since I accidentally cracked the last large panel I removed.

I was just wondering if this model has a similar panel issue to the E701i-A3 like is discussed in this post. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49281
                I actually did this “fix” on the TV in my living room.

Comment

You can do this before taking screen apart.
                  Disconnect backlight connector from power supply.
                  Turn on TV, then shine some light from outside.
                  See if screen brightness is different top to bottom

Comment

Finally got a chance to pull the panel off this TV. The single strip of LEDs at the bottom have no dead LEDs and all light up bright. The diffuser panel and diffuser sheet seem to be correct, but the light just does not spread to the top of the panel. Is this normal for these edge lit TVs? Any suggestions or input?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRMtJuhfAI
                    Last edited by earz; 11-10-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Did you remove the diffuser and actually look at led strips. Seems strange that there is only strip at bottom.
                      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                        Did you remove the diffuser and actually look at led strips. Seems strange that there is only strip at bottom.
                        Yes. This is an edge lit TV. It only has a single strip across the bottom

Comment

Did you ever solve this issue? I have the same problem , pulled it apart replaced the leds that apparently only on the bottom and am still having this issue?

Comment

try unplug tv from power, hold power button in on tv for 30 seconds, then try tv.

Comment

The 70” model of this tv has bad side cof’s that cause similar propbelms. Try unhooking each side and see if you get a better picture on half the tv.

If so that’s the problem. Only way to fix is remove every cof on that side. This is not reversible so make sure that’s your problem first

Comment

I'll give it a try on mine when I open it back up but your saying the cofs caused the screen to slowly darken as it gets further from the leds? I usually have seen other issues with the cofs and never this..

Comment

if your tearing it down to side cofs just inspect them closely, haven't had a bad one yet that wasn't obviously burnt, discolored, misshapen, very hot compared to others, had a hole etc, so take a close look, may need to look at both sides of the board as in front and back of cof, if you do find a bad one do as suggested, peel all slowly from glass, ONLY on that bad side.
                                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-13-2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Was this ever resolved? I am seeing the same issue and swear it is a diffuser issue

Comment

Working...
                                    X