Vizio E321VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio E321VL

Hi JHOFFMAN, can you verify that the bin file for the 32" version is the same as the 37" version, or you have the bin file.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Its from a E371vl, but I understand its the same for the E321vl.

Comment

Originally posted by JHOFFMAN View Post
        Make sure the chip polarity is correct. There is a small recessed dot on the corner of the chip. It should correspond to the dot showing on the circuit board drawing where the chip is installed. Also be careful of static charges when handling the chip.
        Thanks, I was aware of the orientation of the chip and I was careful in handling it.
        Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Hey killian6pk i fixed a few of these with the eprom swop but one still would not power up so i reflow u48 and it came on !
          Hope this help

Comment

Originally posted by DULLTV View Post
            Hey killian6pk i fixed a few of these with the eprom swop but one still would not power up so i reflow u48 and it came on !
            Hope this help
            I sent Miguel the board and that was all he found wrong. A few pins on one side of the Main Video Chip (don't know what the board location was) needed cleaning up. I had never done that before, so I thought it was safer to send it to him since he does tv work for a living. I probably could have done it myself, but if I screwed it up I figured that big chip would be hard to find and expensive to replace. I am waiting for Miguel to do a final test in a tv and send the board back to me.

From what I have read it looks like most of these Vizio 32 -37 inch tvs all have the same problem on the mainboard. The eeprom is corrupt and or the video chip solder needs to be cleaned up (solder bridges).

Thanks for your information. Maybe others with these models will be able to repair them without to much problem.

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
              I sent Miguel the board and that was all he found wrong. A few pins on one side of the Main Video Chip (don't know what the board location was) needed cleaning up. I had never done that before, so I thought it was safer to send it to him since he does tv work for a living. I probably could have done it myself, but if I screwed it up I figured that big chip would be hard to find and expensive to replace. I am waiting for Miguel to do a final test in a tv and send the board back to me.

From what I have read it looks like most of these Vizio 32 -37 inch tvs all have the same problem on the mainboard. The eeprom is corrupt and or the video chip solder needs to be cleaned up (solder bridges).

Thanks for your information. Maybe others with these models will be able to repair them without to much problem.
              UPDATE:
              Miguel mailed my boards back to me today. He tells me they work well and I am anxious to get them back and put them into the tv. As I said above the thing that was causing my problem was that after I replaced the eeprom I still did not have a working set. I found some solder bridges on the main Video chip and decided to send the Boards to Miguel since he offered to look at them (since he sold me the eeprom and it did not seem to solve the problem). That was really nice of him. I pointed out the solder bridges and he agreed and fixed them. That appears to have been what was keeping the tv from working after the eeprom replacement. I probably could have done it, but those chips have a lot of fine pitch wires and I had never done that type of thing before. The Boards should be here Monday or Tuesday, I will post back with the results.

Comment

Please can anyone upload the bin file for E470VLE and any other model you have please

Comment

Originally posted by matt2oo5 View Post
                  Please can anyone upload the bin file for E470VLE and any other model you have please
                  Check and see if Tom66 has anything here, if not hopefully someone has.

http://www.tgohome.com/ServiceManuals

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
                    UPDATE:
                    Miguel mailed my boards back to me today. He tells me they work well and I am anxious to get them back and put them into the tv. As I said above the thing that was causing my problem was that after I replaced the eeprom I still did not have a working set. I found some solder bridges on the main Video chip and decided to send the Boards to Miguel since he offered to look at them (since he sold me the eeprom and it did not seem to solve the problem). That was really nice of him. I pointed out the solder bridges and he agreed and fixed them. That appears to have been what was keeping the tv from working after the eeprom replacement. I probably could have done it, but those chips have a lot of fine pitch wires and I had never done that type of thing before. The Boards should be here Monday or Tuesday, I will post back with the results.
                    Further Update:
                    Got the boards back today and installed them. Good and Bad. The vizio light in front goes from Orange to white. Backlights come on. I did not have it hooked up to an input. The power button turns on the tv and Vizio shows on the screen. The power button does not turn off the tv. I have to unplug it. The remote does not seem to work at all. That could be the small ribbon cable maybe not seated correctly. I will open it back up tomorrow if anyone has any ideas. Since the backlights are working that means the power board is outputting ok I guess. I will do some checking on the power to the cable connectors to see if I am getting 12 & 24 volt from power board.

Comment

If the backlights are on then the 12/24V power supplies are OK.
                      Never stop learning

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                        If the backlights are on then the 12/24V power supplies are OK.
                        Ok I am going to reseat the cable for the remote and see if that solves the remote problem and then hook the tv up to the cable connection and see if it works. I wonder if the remote would show signs of working if the tv is not hooked up to an input. Changing channels etc.

Comment

Having the cable plugged in did nothing. How bright should the backlights be? By that I mean should the screen be white without an input? On this screen you can tell the backlights are on, but they are not very bright. When the Vizio Logo shows up in the center of the screen it looks pretty good. Also the remote still did not work. So I will try to reseat that cable on both ends. How much power should be going to the IR board?

Comment

Try unplugging the T-con cable, pressing some buttons (e.g. MENU) on the remote or side panel, and plugging it back in. Does the screen change? There was a user on these forums who had a faulty T-con which displayed only the first frame.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                              Try unplugging the T-con cable, pressing some buttons (e.g. MENU) on the remote or side panel, and plugging it back in. Does the screen change? There was a user on these forums who had a faulty T-con which displayed only the first frame.
                              Tried unplugging the TCon and pressing the buttons had no effect. Plugged it back in no change on anything. Power button turns on tv (orange led to white) and backlights come on (they appear bright from what I can see through the holes in the back of the metal). The power button nor the remote will turn the set off. The IR board has three solder points (1) reads 5.0mv, (2) reads 9.0mv and (3) reads 10.9mv. I don't know if those are correct or not. Also the remote will not turn the tv on either. There is no reaction at all when pushing buttons on the remote. One additional point I don't get any sound out of the speakers either. Don't know if I should at this point.
                              Last edited by killian6pk; 07-10-2012, 05:18 PM.

Comment

killian6pk

I think your problem is eeprom related,your mainboard is flash with the wrong firmware. can you check your system information and tell me what your firmware version is.

Go to your menu, then select the "help" and then check the system information.

I don't believe E321VL and E371VL firmware are the same.
                                Last edited by ecking767; 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
                                  killian6pk

I think your problem is eeprom related,your mainboard is flash with the wrong firmware. can you check your system information and tell me what your firmware version is.

I am not sure either if the version is the same. But, I can't get the menu to come up so I can't tell what the version is. If anyone knows for sure it would be very helpfull to find out.

Comment

I have sent JHOFFMAN an email asking him what the version number is on one of his sets. He said he had 10 so maybe he will come through with the bin file version. If I can get that version # I can check with Miguel to see what version number he used to flash the eeprom. I would start checking the TCon for problems, but this version the TCon is built into the top of the LCD and covered with part of the metal frame. It appears that it will be very hard to get to. I don't want to quit without seeing this through. So if you have any other suggestions let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
                                      killian6pk

I got an email back from Miguel and he says that the power board and the main board were in a tv he had in the shop and that they worked. So the EEProm must be ok. I am trying to reason out why the tv is not working. I thought it might be the TCon however, if the TCon is not working how am I getting the Vizio Splash Screen (where the word Vizio comes on after the backlights)? I would think that meant the TCon is working. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

The T-con board is located on the mainboard for both E321VL and E371VL. If you can't access the menu FUNCTION then there is a problem with your EEPROM. The "VIZIO" logo is also part of the EEPROM. Then you can't power off the TV which is not normal and make me lead right back to the EEPROM chip programming.

Comment

Here is the T-CON board for E321VL:
                                          http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-philips-...-con-board.htm
                                          Never stop learning

Comment

Working...
                                          X