No announcement yet.

Another sony led back lighting problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another sony led back lighting problem.

Originally posted by bammbammfran View Post
    how many separate bulbs board strips are on that screen ? 4 ?
    how many plugs pins are on each plug of each strand or 63 ? 14 ?
    can you post a few pictures ?

did you try hooking it up to see whichstrip had the trouble bulbs ?

I usually change the bad bulbs ?
    I did find one used strip here but the plug might be in the wrong direction
    http://www.iccfl.com/product_info.php?products_id=21543

I just enlarged those pictures and it looks like you probably have two version boards
    one version has the plug on one end and the other has it on the other end
    and it has 9 3 volt bulbs on each strand.
    so probably they are staggered like bulb 1-8-15-23-30 etc will be on one strand and 2-9-16-24-31 etc on another
    you can check one bulb at a time using a 3 volt battery or all 9 on the strand at once using a 24 volt power source (19 volt laptop adapter might just be enough to do it- if not it will do 7 at a time)
    bulbs have a positive and negative side and will only light in one direction, so you have to figure out which way the first bulb of the strand travels first since some strands might have the positive side towards the main plug and some might be the reverse and start at the opposite end.
    MAN! I think this is it!!! (I accidentally destroyed the broken led strand trying to remove the bulb, so i will buy this and pray i can reassemble the tv properly.)

How did you source it? I couldn't locate/google it to save my life.

Here are 2 photos:

Comment

This will work, but you have to watch your brightness depending on how many bulbs are in each string.
      For instance, the apples have 20 bulbs per sting so removing one bulb would raise the other bulbs 0.15 volts higher than normal which isn't too bad. But, On a 9 string bulb setup like the one in this post, the voltage would go up 0.375 volts per bulb and that is too high for long term at high brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by AMRivlin View Post
        MAN! I think this is it!!! (I accidentally destroyed the broken led strand trying to remove the bulb, so i will buy this and pray i can reassemble the tv properly.)

How did you source it? I couldn't locate/google it to save my life.
        [/IMG]
        you should have asked before trying to remove a bulb !!

These usually have a heatsink underneath them that is soldered down, so they need to be removed with a heatgun.
        First you have to cover the nearby bulbs with a few layers of foil and then you have to apply flux to the bulbs and then heat it till you see the solder glisten.

IF, you have a real good soldering iron and if you are not trying to salvage a bulb, they can be removed with that, but you first have to snap or carve the top of the bulb yellow off so that you can heat right down on the bulbs metals easier. again , flux needs to be used

if you are not trying to salvage a board, but you want to salvage bulbs or transplant then do not use foil and heat as much as you can from the bottom of the board

Comment

Followup.

I ordered this Part http://www.iccfl.com/product_info.php?products_id=21543
          It was the A side. But I needed the B side.

When the shipment arrived (7 days from time of order) it was actually the B Side they shipped. Weird.

I reassembled the tv, ended with 5 extra screws. whoops. Turned on the TV and VIOLA, it works. all LEDs on and no autoshut downs.

What a learning experience. Overall I spent $54 in parts/shipping, but I am very pleased with myself.

Thanks to everyone on here for their assistance and inspiration (seriously)
          You showed me a repair was feasible! "Hat Tip"

Comment

It is not weird that they sent the wrong side.. They are just another seller that does not know what they are doing !
            LUCKILY, their mistake worked out good for you and saved you some extra work.

Glad to hear that you got it back together and are running again !!!

Comment

Working...
            X