Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I have Ubuntu on a second partition. It's such a pain to have to keep rebooting that I haven't even used it in months. I'm pretty sure I have WINE. Though I can't remember exactly what I needed it for. Maybe so I could get Netflix working or something.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
      How about fixing the problems with 8.1 first? Half the users, including myself, are still having internet issues. I dream of the day when I can permanently switch to Ubuntu. Sadly, at this point, there are still things I need which only run on windows.
      Have you tried downloading IvoSoft Classic Shell it seems to help many problems associated with Windows 8 and 8.1 headaches.

Comment

Does it fix the network issues? That's about the only real issue I have. I've tried resetting Winsock, flushing DNS, rolling back and updating drivers, different network cards, rebooting the router, probably even screamed at it a few times. Everything works momentarily (except screaming at it) but it always goes back to taking forever to load pages, and they usually time out once before they load.

Comment

When Loading pages does it tell you it is waiting for the web site? Otherwise it might be you have cookies or malware that takes you to their site to find out what you are up to. Enough of these segways and you are loading forever. When I had windows 8 I had no problem loading pages. I did have a problem with it switching to different internet connections logins. Sometimes I would have to go to the Command prompt and do an IPconfig. release and renew. The Ivosoft classic schell will allow one to configure a direct access to the desktop, the ability to configure the desktop as a Windows 7, Vista,and Xp look and response. One can stop the apps from loading on their own and when going towards the right corner of the screen it will stop the menus from popping up. You can also have a limited choice of the looks of the start button.

Comment

I have AVG which I keep up to date, so I doubt it's malware. Cookies, maybe, though I clear all browsing data, cookies, etc., every few days. It's not doing it at the moment so I'm not sure if it says waiting for website. I'd imagine it does, but it will do it with all sites and, when I have my test server running, even localhost hangs.

Comment

I have AVG which I keep up to date, so I doubt it's malware. Cookies, maybe, though I clear all browsing data, cookies, etc., every few days. It's not doing it at the moment so I'm not sure if it says waiting for website. I'd imagine it does, but it will do it with all sites and, when I have my test server running, even localhost hangs.
              If your running Google Chrome it will tell you down in the lower left corner if it is waiting for the site. To me Malware can be download when one goes to a site and download something one may need and along with the program they add other programs that leads one all over the place. It can actually be attached to the program one downloads. Sometimes the only way to get rid of it is to go into the control panel into program and features and uninstall the program or uninstall the program which you did not want. It is a good idea to know which programs in program and features are needed. Perhaps take a screenshot and then print it out. That way when a program appears you will know it right away. You can also check the date which it is installed. You can also go to a system restore in the accessories folder listed under programs from the start button and restore to a previous known good date. They are other things that can cause slow or no internet/ host connection. I do not know how your connected, but the address that is being used could have a problem with it. Solution could be to change that address if you have access to your modems operating system. That would be http:some number. It can be caused by your service provider. To check this take your computer to either a different provider or the same provider with a different log on name. If the computer is not portable than bring in a portable computer and log on to your modem and internet provider. Registers address that no longer are use but still have a path to can also cause a slow down.

Comment

Problems only affect my 8.1 computer, so definitely not ISP related. I'm very careful when installing programs. I always select custom install and if I can't install just the software I want, it doesn't get installed. AVG always alerts me if it detects malware. As for restore, I have never understood this, but it tells me restore is not available on my version. Something to the extent of having to upgrade to professional to have that feature.

Comment

Is your router a Thomson? There are known issues with those and Windows 8.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Netgear CG3000Dv2. Combined modem and router. In retrospect, I'd rather have a separate modem and router so I could run dd-wrt. Currently I'm using Ethernet and it's the same as with WiFi. It's actually fine at the moment. Is there a way to debug when it starts up again? Also, never have any issues with same computer running Ubuntu.

Comment

Try manually configuring your DNS servers in Windows, use your ISP ones or OpenDNS or such, don't let the router or Windows try to do it itself.

Don't know if that will help since yours isn't a Thomson, though.
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

I think I did that when I set up static IPs. I remember setting the IP, default gateway and 2 other things which I found using ipconfig.

Comment

Yup, IPv4 DNS servers. I don't have IPv6 servers though.

Comment

IPv6 servers are not widely use as it is newer than the IPv4 server. IPv4 server has a limited address ability while IPv6 can address everyone on earth. That is why your modem will have address look-up for you and the different equipment you may have and the modem output address will be different. That address is one that the internet understands and where it is.

Comment

i think the reason for jumping to windows 10 in the naming is because of the existance of windows 8 and then windows 8.1 which -if true- is stupid in my opinion.

Comment

Yup, IPv4 DNS servers. I don't have IPv6 servers though.
                                On the ipconfig have you tried to /release and then do a ipconfig/ renew?

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                  On the ipconfig have you tried to /release and then do a ipconfig/ renew?
                                  Oh wait... sorry... can't correctly organize info today...
                                  Last edited by TechGeek; 05-26-2015, 06:54 PM.
                                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mdchala View Post
                                    i think the reason for jumping to windows 10 in the naming is because of the existance of windows 8 and then windows 8.1 which -if true- is stupid in my opinion.
                                    No no. It was because 7 8 9

See http://www.businessinsider.com.au/mi...s-7-8-9-2015-5
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                    X